My TOMTOM 1 V3

JAN1471
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5327 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, here we go, last Jan I bought a TOMTOM one from Halfords online, had a problem with it, was told by Halfords to ring TOMTOM, so I did they guy at tomtom was very helpfull, and sorted it ok fine, then about a month ago it wouldn't work properly, it told me that I could not navigate back to my home address as their no number on that road, but that it could navigate back to 22 - 44, now my number is in that range. Ok strange also on a trip to Maidstone, I was still showing as being outside my home add in Brodastairs, fine I got verbal instructions, ok, not good, but I could get home using those. So I put a request for help from tomtom's service department, got the info to reset it, so I did and it didn't work, so sent an answer back to them saying that it didn't work, got one back saying try again, did, still didn't work, so told them, they then arranged for it to be picked up for a repair, went away, got it back a week later saying that they could find nothing wrong with it and there fore had not done anything to it, but that they had reflashed the OS memory. Ok so we went to Herne bay for a trip, wit hthe kids and my mum and dad, so thought that we would test it. Now I had been on the phone to a nice guy at TOMTOM, who said that the other ops had just reinstalled corupt maps, so they wouldn't work, and to delete all the map files and then we would reinstall them, he also checked that I had the latest update and software, so I thought it would work. So set it up the next day to goto Herne bay, it tried to take me completely the wrong way and also didn't recalculate the route either and the map still showed us once again being in Broadstairs and not in Herne Bay. Needless to say by the time I got home I was not a happy bunny, so I got hubby to ring them this time, so he did and this op, tried to tell that an OS flash was not a repair, so hubby came back with "if my kids tell me that they haven't done something because it didn't need it and then say, that an memory ahd been reflashed, they would get a smacked backed side for lying". So we asked to speak to a sup, so we get put through, and the sup asks how many sats is it picking up we say 7, the full amount, then he asks what software, so we tell him, confirms latest software then asks if I have downloaded anything to the tomtom, so we say yes, a voice a new sart up and close screen and he starts to say tha tthe software used, had corupted the tomtom, untill I say that the items were downloaded from tomtom's own site. At which he stops really quickly, seeing that he is digging him self a big hole, he starts to say that it will have to go for repair again, at this point I lose my cool, and say it's been repaired once and came back with the same fault and why should I accept another repair, when they couldn't repair it a first time. And that he has 2 options, 1)To replace it or 2) refund the money, that I paid for it he starts to say that thomtom don't have and I quote the EU 2 year law, section by section, he then decides to give in and asks fro the tomtom to be sent back to the Netherlands so they can send another one out to me. So mine is now on it's way back to them.

But they did try and get away with some things, which is if you have a roofed car, your are suposed to another arieal in the car for the tomtom to get a signal, so we told him that mine is a convertable and the hood was down, so that wouldn't matter, also if you have a termal sheild it won't work either.

But on looking around at different sites, TOMTOM's are LIABLE to crash, when you update the software, from TOMTOM home, the screen that starts up when you conect the TOMTOM. And that you are better to download the software from TOMTOM.com

So using the EU 2 year can work, if you can show the manufacturer, that you know what you are on about. also got told by the sup, at the start of the conversaton that it was not don to tomtom, which we told them that it was their legal resposibillity, as it was over 30days old and therefore comes down to them being the manufacturer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Jan,

I hope the new unit works better for you.

(In case it doesn't and you're stuck out at Herne Bay again, just follow the Thanet Way back past Manston and Westwood Cross and there you are - back in Broadstairs!! ;))

Out of interest, how old was the unit when it first showed faults and why would Halfords not replace the unit for you then.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

The contract with the seller, normally only lasts for 30 days or so. The saga goes on, they sent me new unit, with brand new software, it wouldn't conect to me computer, it would update to a point and then crash, so hubby called them again, went through everything the customer service rep, who finally asked what software did the machine have installed on it, so gaz gave the ref and the CS went thats old software, so gaz went right is it, thats strange as I have a letter here stating " and I quote, We are pleased to confirm we have in warranty(new 2 year one, not just a years any longer thanks to the EU) replaced your product(s), UPDATED YOUR DEVICE'S SOFTWARE TO THE LATEST AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET and are now returning those to you as per below.

So the cs rep asked if I could email, over a clip of what was on the device, so I did, next day I get an email giving me an DER number, which is what you use to return them to TOMTOM, and that this guys sup, had sent me out and upgrade to the one unit, because of the trouble that they had caused. So today, my upgrade was due to arrive and the crap one taken away. Well the UPs driver turned up and delivered a windscreen mount and in car charger, a few mins ago I had a call from a sup at TOMTOM, because I called and had a go at them, for complete lack of service, only to be told he had no idea why, but that there were 2 tracking numbers, 1 for the acc and 1 for the device and that the device will be with me tomorrow. So I have just called UPS and gave them the first tracking no and they will redeilver the accs at somepoint tomorrow, i gave the UPS CS ass the second number for tracking, and he has just told me that the device should have been delivered today, but could not be delivered, because it and he said this "IT'S NOT IN THE UK, so it can't be delivered" TOMTOM have really out done themselves this time.

Slick it was about 11 months old and was bought online at Halfords online store.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jeepers, they're taking the pee aren't they. :mad:

See what turns uip tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Jeepers, they're taking the pee aren't they. :mad:

See what turns uip tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Yep, tell me about it, I am fed up dealing with this bunch of cretins, thier is no way, that when this TOMTOM, finally gives up, I won't buy another one.

After having to deal with this lot almost on a day to day basis, I have been looking around at different sat navs, and I've read good reports on Navgon's they used to suply Sony with thier software, so I think when this one goes bang, I'll go for something like that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your contract is always with the seller and never expires.

Not as far as some retailers and Halfords are concerned. The washing machine manufacturer Hotpoint say after 30days it is no longer the sellers resp, but theirs, know that one already, been their done it. So it's not always right.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

New TOMTOM seems fine, it's updated, which is more than the last one, the new windscreen mount is a bit different and takes a bit of getting used to, but it all looks ok, so far.

Lets hope!!!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Jan,

Great! Herne Bay, here we go again !! And you can get back without my directions in post #2 above. ;)

Hotpoint may take on more responsibility than they need as part of their customer services policy, during the first year.

However, your contract is with the seller, who remains responsible for your purchase, generally, for 12 months from purchase. :)

Great news that you're finally getting somewhere.

Whether or not the retailer tells you the responsibility is with the manufacturer they are incorrect. The Sale Of Goods Act is very clear and it is the responsibility of the retailer with whom you have the contract to resolve any issues. You have no contract with the manufacturer at all at any time so they are not obliged to assist, though clearly it is usually in their interests to help out in th event of problem to attempt to preserve their reputation.