Advice needed about debt owed to CapQuest

adz3785
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Got a bit of a problem with a debt recovery company....CapQuest!

Approx 2/3 years ago I had a Abbey bank account which had a overdraft limit of £100, due to financial difficulties of buying a house etc.. I was unable to pay the overdraft off! I had spoken to Abbey explaining my situation and that i could pay very little to pay the overdraft off, however they would not accept this and demanded I paid it off in full!

Unable to pay the £100 off at once, the only thing i could do was leave it until i could get some money together to pay it off. However this wasnt quick enough for Abbey and I got charge £30 for failing to pay off the overdraft, then a couple of months later they charged me £50.

So I was even more unlikey to be able to pay off the balance of £180!!

A few more months went by and Abbey kept sending me letters, a few more months went by and I admittingly forgot about it! We then moved into rented accommodation and never heard anything of it until a month ago.

I applied for my first credit card with Halifax, I wasnt approved for some reason, so I subscribed to Experian to see if there was anything on my credit file. Thats when i noticed a default payment or something from Abbey for the sum of £180.87.

I then received a letter from Abbey on the 18th August saying my debt had been sold to a debt recovery company.

The same day I received a letter from CapQuest informing me my debt had been sold to them and requesting I contacted them.

Then on the 21st August I got another letter from CapQuest asking me to make a payment of £180.87 by the end of August.

All letters were in the same envelopes marked with UKMail and on the reverse they all have the same PO Box address! Plus the letter from "Abbey" looks strangley similar to the letters from CapQuest! Pritty much the same format! Same setup, same font, same font size etc... even file reference codes in the same location!

Just after a bit of advice on what to do? I dont want to ignore it any longer, but I dont want to pay the full amount if I dont have to.

Is there information I can ask CapQuest to provide me with to show me how the £180.87 is made up of? I havent contacted them yet, but feel i should do soon otherwise i'll only get another letter!

What do i do?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Adam

Edited by adz3785

Hi Adam.

You could send a SAR directly to Abbey, which should produce all the data they hold on you, and throw light on any unfair penalty charges added to the account.

The link is below. They have 40 + 2 days to comply.

Keep us posted, and shout if you need more help :)

Elsa x

The Consumer Forums

Edited by Undercover-Elsa
To add link!

Hi, you could write something on the lines of:

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: Account Number:

Thankyou for your letter re the above account.

Unfortunately this account is in dispute due to inaccuracies including unfair penalty charges.

I have a Subject Access Request pending and therefore request that you hold action on this account until Abbey have complied with my request and I have had chance to examine the documentation.

Yours faithfully...

Or anyone else have any ideas?

So just to get this right, im sending a letter to Abbey asking for information on my account, charges etc.. etc...

Then a letter to CapQuest informing them of the letter to Abbey and would appreciate if they would put it on hold until i receive the info from Abbey.

Shall i send a copy of the letter to Abbey to CapQuest? or not?

Well ive sent off the letter to Abbey and CapQuest so ill await the reponse.

However i received a letter from HL Legal Solicitors yesterday which reads along the lines of....

"....TAKE NOTICE THAT unless this account is paid in full or a satisfactory proposal for settlement is received by 18th Sept 2009 court proceedings may beissued against you without further notice.

In the event that court proceedings are necessary the following costs will be added to the debt.

Balance of Account £180.87

Court costs £15.00

Solicitors Costs £50.00

Total £245.87

Interest, where applicable will also be added, accuring on a daily basis...."

Should i send them a letter similar to what ive sent CapQuest stating that the account is in dispute etc....?

One thing for inexperienced Caggers to note:

adz3785 subscribes to Experian and suddenly he gets a letter from Abbey! This is why the CRAs are so keen to get people to sign up, especially those with any adverse credit history, because they will instantly pass your information on to anyone who wants it... and they charge you for the pleasure!

Well ive sent off the letter to Abbey and CapQuest so ill await the reponse.

However i received a letter from HL Legal Solicitors yesterday which reads along the lines of....

"....TAKE NOTICE THAT unless this account is paid in full or a satisfactory proposal for settlement is received by 18th Sept 2009 court proceedings may beissued against you without further notice.

In the event that court proceedings are necessary the following costs will be added to the debt.

Balance of Account £180.87

Court costs £15.00

Solicitors Costs £50.00

Total £245.87

Interest, where applicable will also be added, accuring on a daily basis...."

Should i send them a letter similar to what ive sent CapQuest stating that the account is in dispute etc....?

HL Legal are Crapquests inhouse faux solicitors. It just the same sh!t on different notepaper

Thanks Elsa, ive sent them the same letter as ive sent CapQuest.

Hmmm i had thought that myself DonkeyB, as i know anyone who has the facilities can do credit checks on people cant they....ive just canceled my Experian, shame its too late now!

ODC yes i noticed that all letters from Abbey, CapQuest and HL Legal have the same layout and format etc...

Yep just goes to show how they're all sharing the same toilet, to put it politely :)

Just managed to stop one of my offspring in time from joining Experian as there's an army of skeletons from her student days in another part of the Country. She'd no idea it would bring them down on her like a scene from Sinbad!

Thanks Elsa, ive sent them the same letter as ive sent CapQuest.

Hmmm i had thought that myself DonkeyB, as i know anyone who has the facilities can do credit checks on people cant they....ive just canceled my Experian, shame its too late now!

ODC yes i noticed that all letters from Abbey, CapQuest and HL Legal have the same layout and format etc...

The worrying thing is that your data must have been flagged... I think every time someone subscribes, the CRAs must actively push your data to see if anyone's after it. Very smelly. Sure there must be something dodgy and against data protection principles in there somewhere.

Hmmm, following on from Undercover Debt Collector, how about Undercover CRA?

I wonder how proactive it is.. does the CRA issue a list of new registrations to the DCA's (for a fee) in a similar way the Government publish lists of people who die intestate, for instance?

Or do the DCA's do all the legwork by repeated automated searches for anyone on their books.

Either way all new registrants are sitting targets on the basis that if they registered they probably have debt concerns.

One thing for inexperienced Caggers to note:

adz3785 subscribes to Experian and suddenly he gets a letter from Abbey! This is why the CRAs are so keen to get people to sign up, especially those with any adverse credit history, because they will instantly pass your information on to anyone who wants it... and they charge you for the pleasure!

I got hit with this, just moved back to the UK and thought I'd do a check on my Credit History as Direct Line (House Insurance) were so good to offer me a free 'Credit Expert' membership (Experian). So foolishly I entered my details.

3 weeks later and out of the blue I have Capquest chasing me for alleged debts from my previous marriage!!

Edited by anynewmouse

Agree. I want to access my Credit Record, but cannot do so as (i) I do not want my new address to become part of their database and (ii) I do not want to "flag up" I have searched the file. It seems these are real impediments to people being able to check their own credit situation.

The CRAs will not let you access your data unless you provide them with a current address and give them permission to use the data you have provided. The only option is perhaps to use a PO Box number, but they probably won't let you do that. It really does smell...

... and that's why CAG has a whole forum for it!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/credit-reference-agencies/

Ok guys slight spanner in the works! This debt is now a big problem for me!

At the weekend me and my girlfriend went to Halifax bank to arrange to open a joint bank account for when we move into the new house we are getting built.

Thing is it was declined due to me having a "Default" on my credit file, i explained to Halifax that the matter was currently in dispute, however to allow us to take out the joint bank account with overdraft facilities they require the debt to be "Satisfied"......which got me slightly worried as we are currently applying for a mortgage and i have no doubt that this will cause some problems for us.

Question is what do i do? i dont want it to affect us being able to get a mortgage!

My initial thought was to ring CapQuest and ask for a settlement fiqure to get the debt paid off so it wont show as still owed on my credit file.

Any advice?