Global Debt Recovery

McFlisa

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I called responding to a letter from Global Debt Recovery and a man who got increasingly more aggressive and called me a liar told me that I had taken out a loan and defaulted on my overdraft with Lloyds TSB pre 1995. He said that they had hired private detectives to track me down (I have been at the same address for 7 years and am on the Electoral Roll) and said that he had spoken to my Mother in 2000 who had lied to them and said I didn't live there (she wasn't lying - I haven't lived there since 88 !!) I genuinely don't remember taking out a loan and he says he can't provide me with paperwork and nor does he have to - surely he can't demand money without providing me with paperwork ?!?!?

Please help, he now has my mobile number and is calling me

Don't worry. You will get help here. There are template letters here to send to help you "grab back the initiative" and stop their behavious - which is frankly outlandish, but pretty par for the course. Cannot give more that that present as rushing out - but I am sure others will give you detailed advice on the best strategy for dealing with this.

if you haven't made a payment or acknowledged the debt for a clear period of six years it will be Statute Barred anyway, so send them this; http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred The onus is on them to prove otherwise.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

GDR have to have documents to prove they have the right details, the right account and have to account for the sum being claimed. A simple CCA request would prove they have none of these documents. Their failure to supply would put the matter in dispute and prevent them from taking any further action.

Please help, he now has my mobile number and is calling me

Report the company to Ofcom for breaching telecoms guidelines, Ofcom

If they are persistent after you have told them not to call you on your mobile, then report them to the Police for Harassment (not 999) Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (c. 40)

1 Prohibition of harassment

(1) A person must not pursue a course of conduct—

(a) which amounts to harassment of another, and

(b) which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.

(2) For the purposes of this section, the person whose course of conduct is in question ought to know that it amounts to harassment of another if a reasonable person in possession of the same information would think the course of conduct amounted to harassment of the other.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to a course of conduct if the person who pursued it shows—

(a) that it was pursued for the purpose of preventing or detecting crime,

(b) that it was pursued under any enactment or rule of law or to comply with any condition or requirement imposed by any person under any enactment, or

© that in the particular circumstances the pursuit of the course of conduct was reasonable.

It is quite possibly a fishing trip, where these companies ignore (again) the OFT debt collection guidelines and simply send anyone with the same name as a debtor in a certain area, a letter telling them to pay up money they don't owe!

So complain to the OFT also,The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

And you can have a read of their guidelines if you so desire;)The Office of Fair Trading: Debt collection practices

Make a complaint to Consumer Direct who will pass your complaint onto Trading Standards in your area for you.

If they phone you, don't speak to them, just put the phone down, they will tell you the moon is made of cheese and convince you to sell body parts to pay off a debt you don't owe, so NEVER SPEAK TO THEM OVER THE PHONE!

I genuinely don't remember taking out a loan and he says he can't provide me with paperwork and nor does he have to - surely he can't demand money without providing me with paperwork ?!?!?

The reason why you can't remember is you most likely never had a loan with them!

And yes they do have to provide all of the evidence, so he is clearly misinformed, or untrained, probably both, the people that are employed at DCA's are those that were always bullied at school, and now have a bag of chips on their shoulders.

They have no legal training whatsoever, everything they tell you over the phone is all written down for them, and is on a flip chart, if you say anything other than 'yes' or 'no' they can't compute that and internally combust!

Ignore their phone calls, was the letter they sent correct? IE. was your name, initials, address, correct? If their is any detail that is not correct, less for not having had a loan with them, then it is a fishing trip.

Besides as has already been said, the debt is Statute Barred as I doubt you will have paid anything on a loan you don't remember, if they continue to flog a dead horse just come back and there are plenty on here who will send them packing with their tail between their legs!

Edited by Bazooka Boo

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thank you sooo much everyone, I was shaking when I got off the phone he was really quite aggressive, I giggled nervously when he called me a liar - he then told me that "I wouldn't be finding it funny soon" !!

Anyway I will start with the CCA and see how that goes.

Thanks again very much.

A CCA doesn't cover an overdraft. Send the Statute Barred letter in post #3 the onus is on them to prove otherwise.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Yes, as above, send them the SB letter pronto!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

And do not speak to the clowns over the phone again, let them prove that it is not SB.

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!