Temporary speed restrictions on Motorways

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

First of all I'll say that I wasn't speeding and didn't get caught so I don't need help as such.

More out of interest, when the electronic signs flash speed restrictions (as they did where I was yesterday due to torrential rain), are these then enforcable as the official speed limit?

I just thought, if there was a mobile camera set to 70, but then a speed restriction of 50 was in place, could you be charged for speeding over 50?

Or are they just 'firm' suggestions of speed, due to weather, an accident etc.

Thanks very much for any advice

Are you talking about the m25 per chance?

I ask as I drive around the m25 twice a week. On many occasions i've approached a '50' limit sign at the correct speed, only to have it decrease to 40 mph as i'm at the sign (with a speed cam behind it) giving me no time to adjust my speed!

'For our safety' apparently. I would love to see how much revenue the m25 generates in fines per day...

no it was the m4 actually, I've never seen it done sneakily, it does seem to be for safety.

Aside from cameras, could the police pull you over if you were within the reduced speed zone?

Just wondering about where the signs are (every mile/2 miles?) are you supposed to see them etc.

Thanks

As I understand it, they most certainly are enforceable and are enforced by the highways agency not safety camera partnerships, so they dont paint the cameras yellow.

On the M20 they have these variable speed limits, if you look at the overhead gantrys they have gatsos rear facing so they are behind the direction sign so get the rear of your vehicle.

Edited by Startkey&Clutch

If the sign has a red circle around it, it is mandatory. If it is an amber sign, like the ones you see on the central reservation, they are advisory only.

I dont understand your last comment...........

The signs light up WITH a red circle around them!

Its very basic highway code that to be enforceable they need a red circle.

Have you not been on the M20?

I dont understand your last comment...........

The signs light up WITH a red circle around them!

Its very basic highway code that to be enforceable they need a red circle.

Have you not been on the M20?

No you don't need to point out the highway code to me. I may just know what I am talking about here and may well be doing your next check test!

If the sign has a red circle, lit up or painted, it is a mandatory speed limit.

If the sign is square or retangular and comprises the amber matrix dots, it is advisory and not compulsary. You started you post with 'As I understand it, they most certainly are enforceable and are enforced by the highways agency not safety camera partnerships, so they dont paint the cameras yellow. ' That is why I suggested you have a chat with your trainer.

Where does the OP ever mention that the signs he is referring to have red circles around them - basic highway code or not?

This why lamma asked twice which type they were because, like me, he also knows what he is talking about.:D

No you don't need to point out the highway code to me. I may just know what I am talking about here and may well be doing your next check test!

I dont recall pointing out the highway code to you or anyone else!

Maybe you do know what youre talking about, maybe you dont but I doubt very much that you will be doing my next check test, although on a different note, you have no idea what I would give for that to happen.

If the sign has a red circle, lit up or painted, it is a mandatory speed limit.

.......Obviously.........

The ones I was thinking of DO have red circles, clearly now you were trying to establish if the OPs particular one did.

If the sign is square or retangular and comprises the amber matrix dots, it is advisory and not compulsary. You started you post with 'As I understand it, they most certainly are enforceable and are enforced by the highways agency not safety camera partnerships, so they dont paint the cameras yellow. ' That is why I suggested you have a chat with your trainer.

Trainer? Who is my trainer?? I do not have a trainer! Thats 'my' job, I am the trainer.

As already stated, i was thinking of the ones on the M20 because Ive just been on that road so its fresh in my mind.

The comment about me needing a word with my trainer was sarcastic then?

Where does the OP ever mention that the signs he is referring to have red circles around them - basic highway code or not?

He didnt...........so?

This why lamma asked twice which type they were because, like me, he also knows what he is talking about.:D

I do not believe for one minute that someone conducting check tests would make comments like that, even though they are experts.

Oh I get it, youre better than me.........clearly EVERYTHING I said was wrong then............

If you had actually read my post, I had an oppinion, they are never right or wrong, it maybe factually correct or factually incorrect, but everyone is entitled to an oppinion. Incidentaly, my oppinion WAS factually correct.

The comment I made about not understanding your comment was I couldnt work out where 'ADI' came in????

Now you mentioning 'check tests' I do understand, but its still irrelivant. I thought this was about brainstorming and sharing ideas, not about putting people down as you now seem to be doing, no wonder 'WheelerGeezer' left.

I would like to know where the DSA stand on you spending all day sending out sarcastic posts, thats assuming you are who you claim you are, not too busy in the world of 'check test' then.

If you are really who you claim then you shouldnt really be on here blowing off hot air and trupeting yourself up!

I would have thought a real SE would be helping and giving out advice, not being sarcastic and putting people down. You are as much an SE as I am a GP!!!

Edited by Startkey&Clutch

What I find interesting about the overhead signs is that despite data, from the Surrey section of the M25, indicating that active traffic management does not reduce congestion or keep the traffic flowing, the Highways Agency are persisting with it. The system was heavily criticised by the AA back in the mid 1990's. Yet another quango wasting our tax money.

We've just had notification that they are implementing the system around Bristol on the M5 (J14-19), following a successful trial on the M42. Having travelled on both Motorways during busy periods I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to the journey times.

The only thing from Birmingham that makes a blind bit of difference is the use of the hard shoulder.

What they says to me is that the billions they are spending on Active Traffic Management would be better spent putting extra lanes in, around busy areas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoa dudes!

Lamma - I don't check the computer every 9 minutes unfortunately so no need to ask twice.

Al27 - Yet again, you have answered my question completely.

Didn't mean to start an argument, honestly!

And the M4 here doesn't have any technology to speak of really, it is just those old orange and black signs. Advisory it is then! I still follow them though.

Thanks very much

And the M4 here doesn't have any technology to speak of really, it is just those old orange and black signs. Advisory it is then! I still follow them though.

I'd be careful about following them too acurately though barrybarry, particularly if no one else is. Imagine if you try dropping your speed down to the "advisory" 40mph when everyone around you is still doing 70! Not a risk I'd want to take without careful thought. :)

ok cool, thanks very much.

And crem, sorry if i wasn't clear, I didn't necessarily mean I would follow them exactly every time, I will just take notice of them if it seems like they are flashing for a genuine reason (for once!).

Mostly confused as I previously thought they were obligatory yet some lunatics still drive at about 90 regardless.

Thanks again!