Got myself into a sticky situation! Need help please..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4479 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Me and a friend have been trying to rent a place but are unemployed. We are more then capable of keeping up with the rent and can both supply guarantors and even several months rent upfront if need be.

However, instead of being honest about this, we lied and said we had full time jobs giving details of friends names and companies as references. We thought that the Estate Agents would just check with our friend who would confirm that we work at the company.

I am now worried that the credit check company will investigate my employment info, contacting the company I have given and obviously finding out that I do not work there.

What are the chances of the credit check company finding this out?

What are the ramifications of my lie if I do get found out? Will the credit check company tell the estate agents of my deceit? Or will they simply say that I should not be given credit?

What is my best course of action from here?

Thanks a lot, I am really worried about this!

Edited by Jay4622

Oh dear.

To be honest you may well have been much better off telling the truth from the start.

I ask prospective tenants to fill in an application form that obviously requests employment, character references etc and we DO write to these people!!

With regard to credit checks/scores etc it's down to the company that the agent uses I think but I can't imagine that your employment status would be shown on either of these, however some agents use a referencing agency that do all references AND credit checks so if they don't do this themselves and it's a separate company that do it all you'll find that they will write for employment refs, get a negative response and advise the agent to not take you on.

"What are the ramifications of my lie if I do get found out?"

You don't get the house!

" Will the credit check company tell the estate agents of my deceit? Or will they simply say that I should not be given credit"

You're not exactly applying for credit here are you so don't worry about this.

"What is my best course of action from here?"

Go to the agent, put your hands up and tell them the truth, tell them you have a few months upfront rent as you stated and provide them with guarantors, you never know they might forgive you for the lie and let you have the property.

I'd have been happy to take you on once we'd checked out your Guarantor and character ref. so it's always wise to be honest upfront.

Depending on

1) If you're found out

and

2) How seriously the referencing agency regard the matter

I think it is possible (though unlikely) you will end up with a CIFAS (fraud notification flag) on your credit file for all future agencies to see. You don't have to be submitting a credit application for these to be set (ie insurance claims / utilities can and do use these).

Application fraud is never a good idea. But I hope for your sake this doesn't lead to any long-term problems.