• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PPI claim to Natwest underway

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I sent an SAR to Natwest regarding another matter and when the paperwork was returned, I found I had PPI cover on a loan.

I believe i was misold PPI. So i wrote to the branch where i got the loan on 31 July 09. Letter was delivered on 01 Aug 09. They finally sent me acknowledgement letter around 20 August.

I believe they have 8 weeks to investigate and after 8 weeks, I can go to the Ombudsman. Does anyone know if the 8 weeks starts on 01 Aug 09 or 20 Aug 09.

I didn't put any figures in my letter. If the 8 weeks starts on 01 Aug 09, I'm thinking of writing to them again, just to stress that I've not had a 4 week update as they promise and that 8 weeks is up on such a date and i want full resolution by that date or am going to ombudsman. What do you thiink about sending this?

Also, if i do send it, should i say how much i expect?

Does anyone know how to calculate what the refund would be?

I tried using the calculator on here, but didn't understand it.

If this loan was very recent why do you believe the PPI was miss sold?

I ask this because all of the banks have had an ar*e kicking over the last year regarding their sales practices involving PPI.

At the point of sale they should have advised the following;

1. insurance is optional

2. insurance will not affect the decision regarding loan application

3. insurance policy is available to purchase elsewhere, not just the company providing the loan.

If you do believe you have a valid complaint, wait for a final response from Natwest before contacting the FOS. You will need a final response before the FOS will investigate. As the FOS currently have cases awaiting allocation going back to Dec 07/Jan 08 you will have a long wait.....

As for the 8 weeks the banks seem to please themselves on timescales.....

The amount of PPI should be shown on the original credit agreement for your account, they will have added contractual interest to this too, the same rate applied to the loan itself. If you do contest the PPI this is the amount you want back plus 8% in simple interest which is what the courts would award if your were successful using the county court system.

Good luck! :D

9-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent:o !! Lloyds and Halifax!

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Capital One

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax Card Services

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Marbles

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax (Birchave0's sis)

8-3-07 PPI refund Lloyds TSB Loan £1200 + £2900 off loan balance

22-5-07 Halifax *Won* £1025

23-9-07 Goldfish 8k balance written off, £2300 PPI + charges returned, no agreement

Hi birchave0

Thanks for replying.

The loan was taken out in 2005. I sent a SAR regarding something else and when they sent all the paperwork back, i found i was paying PPI.

I was certainly never advised it could be purchased elsewhere, I have existing medical conditions that i wasn't asked about and my employer gives full sick pay etc.

I contacted them and they have recently sent me a 4 week letter. So another 4 weeks to go!!!

Proof of pre existing medical conditions should IMO be a winner if you go to the FOS not sure about the Courts.

My pre existing medical conditions got a £10k refund from RBS via the FOS. I could most likely have got costs as well if I had chosen the court route.

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info alanalana. I've read quite a few of your posts on ppi and it was those that prompted me to try to claim.

I got a response today. They have said they're unable to confirm what information was and wasn't given to me, therefore are making a gesture of goodwill offer without any admission of liability.

They've offered me what I have paid to date. (approx £4000). I asked about compound interest, but they said they don't offer it and i would have to go to the ombudsman to get it.

If I accept, they will pay it into my loan account (as I am in arrears) and anything left after clearing the arrears they will transfer to my current account.

Once thats been done and my account is unfrozen, they will rework what is left and reduce my monthly payment.

They have assured me I will get the full cost of the policy back, part with the offer and part with reduced future payments.

What do you guys think?

I reckon the compound interest should be approx £750. Should i give up on the interest or should i go to the ombudsman.

Can i even go to the ombudsman with what they are offering?

Don't give up! Push for the interest.

Have a look at my thread versus natwest. I pushed them after their final offer and as you will see, I got the interest i asked them for confirmed today!

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU AT ALL PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TIP MY SCALES.

NATWEST PPI SUCCESS £490 25/08/09

NATWEST PPI 2nd CLAIM WON £1135 02/10/09

A & L PPI £395 WON

CREATION CLAIM PARTIAL REFUND £1825 01/04/10 NOW OFF TO FOS FOR THE REST

BARCLAYCARD STILL PENDING

LITTLEWOODS DCA . DEBT WIPED OUT AND CREDIT FILE UPDATED 23/09/09

Don't give up! Push for the interest.

Have a look at my thread versus natwest. I pushed them after their final offer and as you will see, I got the interest i asked them for confirmed today!

Thanks LDG

Just read your thread. WELL DONE!!!!

Is there anyone on, who could work out the compound interest for me?

Also, I read the

online PPI resource, calculating compensation

stuff and i can't make out from that, if the bank should be offering the 8% compound interest on what you have already paid, or not; or is that something the FOS give you in addition.

What I think i'm trying to say is, if they offer you a full refund but not the compound interest, can you still go to the FOS and if so, what are the chances the FOS will decide in your favour?

Edited by SickOfBanks111

They've offered me what I have paid to date. (approx £4000). I asked about compound interest, but they said they don't offer it and i would have to go to the ombudsman to get it.

It is not a case of they don't offer compounded interest, more the case that you have already paid it so you want it back and at the APR they charged you.

The 8% interest is statutory interest and is work out at simple not compounded you can indeed claim this also because they have deprived you of the money over a considerable time so they have in effect borrowed that money from you so it is only right that they should pay to borrow it just like we do.

Write back to them giving them a further 14 days to reflect and make it known that the FSA and FOS take a dim view of financial companies pushing claims on to them that they can sort out quiet easily.

FSA unveils tough measures to protect PPI consumers

CP09/23: The assessment and redress of payment protection insurance complaints

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Hi PF

Thanks for the reply.

I'm really confused by all this.

My original ppi policy was about £4200. Then interest at 7.9% (same as the loan), took total cost of the ppi to £5100 ish.

So far, I'd paid approx £4k of the £5100. So can i claim £4k plus simple interest? and how do you calculate simple interest? as i am going to tell them how much i want back. :-D

If you paid interest at 7.9% on the PPI then that's what they have to pay you back compounded PLUS another 8% simple.

Do you have the agreement if you do post it up here minus personal details then ill work it all out for you.

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

If you paid interest at 7.9% on the PPI then that's what they have to pay you back compounded PLUS another 8% simple.

Do you have the agreement if you do post it up here minus personal details then ill work it all out for you.

Regards

PF

that would be a massive help.

I'll pm you in a few mins with the details if thats ok

Yup Ok

As pompeyfaith says claim back the compound interest and the 8% statutory on top. There are calculators which PF can point you to but the FOS have their own method to work out what is owed. Much better though to have an idea so you should be able to claim back you PPI month by month plus the compound up to the date the account was settled or refinanced and then the 8% stat from the start of each monthly payment up to the date a settlement is agreed.

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

You should write accepting the £4,000 as a part payment of what they owe you for the mis-sold PPI that you have paid to date. Explain though that you will insist on the contractual interest at the rate they charged you when you took out the loan. You are also entitled to the 8% statutory interest from the start of the loan to the day the dispute is settled.

Explain that unless they agree to your proposals you will submit a formal complaint to the FOS. This will mean a long delay but the FOS are upholding 90% of claims in the consumers favour. Also if you go to the FOS it will cost them a £500 fee to the FOS.

Hope this helps with an idea. Just draft up a letter and post it up so folks can read and advise but leave out all the personal data such as names, account numbers etc.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Hi AA

Thanks for replying.

You and PF have been a huge help.

I know the initial cost of the ppi and then they charged me 7.9%. Then as far as i know the total cost gets divided up into 60 equal payments.

They have offered me what i have paid to date and will adjust my future monthly payments to take into account the remaining ppi payments i won't be making. So they are giving me the ppi, plus the interest they charged me back.

So I then say I want contractual interest on top of that, at 7.9%. and this is basically because i have in theory loaned them the money. Is that right?

And i don't understand where the statutory interest comes into it?

If i write back saying i accept it as partial payment and the refuse to give my the interest, will it not create problems if i go to the Ombudsman that i have already accepted a partial payment from them?

If this is anything like my own experience with them then they take PPi then add interest then divide up into equal monthly payments.

So all you need to do is add these together to get your total then add 8% to each monthly ppi payment and total it up.

The 8% is what you would have been entitled to as you have gone without the money that you have been paying.

I think this is correct but someone else will be along soon to confirm.

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU AT ALL PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TIP MY SCALES.

NATWEST PPI SUCCESS £490 25/08/09

NATWEST PPI 2nd CLAIM WON £1135 02/10/09

A & L PPI £395 WON

CREATION CLAIM PARTIAL REFUND £1825 01/04/10 NOW OFF TO FOS FOR THE REST

BARCLAYCARD STILL PENDING

LITTLEWOODS DCA . DEBT WIPED OUT AND CREDIT FILE UPDATED 23/09/09

If this is anything like my own experience with them then they take PPi then add interest then divide up into equal monthly payments.

So all you need to do is add these together to get your total then add 8% to each monthly ppi payment and total it up.

The 8% is what you would have been entitled to as you have gone without the money that you have been paying.

I think this is correct but someone else will be along soon to confirm.

Arh right ok. That confirms what i'd been thinking.

My next issue is; i've just found out that my monthly payments have varied a bit. a few times i missed payments and then caught up the following month, and i've also been making reduced payments for the past 10 months. Does anyone know if that effects the amount of contractual/compound interest i claim for?

Hi AA

Thanks for replying.

You and PF have been a huge help.

I know the initial cost of the ppi and then they charged me 7.9%. Then as far as i know the total cost gets divided up into 60 equal payments.

Do you have the agreement showing the breakdown of the PPI payments for each of the 60 months.

They have offered me what i have paid to date and will adjust my future monthly payments to take into account the remaining ppi payments i won't be making. So they are giving me the ppi, plus the interest they charged me back. If you have cancelled the PPI you should also get a rebate of a part of the remaining PPI still to be paid

So I then say I want contractual interest on top of that, at 7.9%. and this is basically because i have in theory loaned them the money. Is that right? No you should get back the PPI premiums including the contractual interest at 7.9% and statutory interest at 8%.

And i don't understand where the statutory interest comes into it?

The statutory interest is interest the FOS would apply. It is to put you back into the position you would have been in if you had not had PPI added to your loan. You have basically lost the Money for a period of time which you would otherwise not have done without PPI.

If i write back saying i accept it as partial payment and the refuse to give my the interest, will it not create problems if i go to the Ombudsman that i have already accepted a partial payment from them?

The Ombudsman will look at the whole case and make a decision but I turned down an offer as I was not offered 8% statutory went to the FOS and the offer was increased by over £1k.

If you have cancelled the PPI and they are offering a refund you should get the following:

the number of PPI premiums you have paid including the contractual interest at 7.9% which was added to the PPI single premium.

so if you have paid xx months of the 60 you should get xx months repaid including the contractual interest.

You should also get the statutory interest at 8% on each of the xx months payments from the date the payment was made until the date settlement has been reached.

There are calculators but Pompeyfaith should be able to assist if you post up the details of the dates of payments the amount of the payments for each month.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

The Ombudsman will look at the whole case and make a decision but I turned down an offer as I was not offered 8% statutory went to the FOS and the offer was increased by over £1k.

If you have cancelled the PPI and they are offering a refund you should get the following:

the number of PPI premiums you have paid including the contractual interest at 7.9% which was added to the PPI single premium.

so if you have paid xx months of the 60 you should get xx months repaid including the contractual interest.

You should also get the statutory interest at 8% on each of the xx months payments from the date the payment was made until the date settlement has been reached.

There are calculators but Pompeyfaith should be able to assist if you post up the details of the dates of payments the amount of the payments for each month.

aa

Cheers AA

PF has done one of his famous spreadsheets for me.

I think I FINALLY understand the calculations. I've been looking on the web for the formula to calculate compound interest and my calculation now comes out very close to PF's spreadsheet.

My understanding is I get the ppi plus interest they charged me back. and then I can either ask for 8% stat (simple) interest OR 7.9% (same rate they charged me) contractual (compound) interest. I am asking for the 7.9% compound as it works out slightly more.

I am just in the middle of writing my response to Natwest. I'm saying i don't accept their offer as full and final settlement. However I do accept it as partial payment and spelling out exactly what else I want them to pay etc.

I'll let you know how i go on.

Don't think they will accept it to be honest, based on what they said when i spoke to them on the phone.

They will most probably not accept it. But there is a 90% chance the Financial Ombudsman Service will. :D

That is the current percentage of claims upheld in the consumers favour.

The other thing is every time a complaint is submitted to the FOS the institution complained about faces a FOS fee of £500 for the investigation and adjudication.

This must be costing the financial institutions a shed load of money on top of the claims being upheld.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from