BT Connection Charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

I'm in desperate need of assistance.

Basically I am a student about to move in to a house with 4 other people, we have decided to go with BT for phone so I did a bit of research. The tenants before us were with BT for telephone themselves, and their contract came to an end when they moved out in July, I was made aware of the fact that if there were any problems with the phone line, and/or there was no dial tone that we would have to pay an activation fee of £122.50 or thereabouts. Then I read this on the BT website -

"If the premises has had telephone service from BT in the recent past, and the wiring and socket is undamaged and the line still has dialling tone, a connection charge may not be payable. Where there is no suitable BT telephone line available in the property a connection charge of £122.50(Inc VAT) may apply. This fee covers engineering work in the exchange or customer's property in order to connect the line. BT will advise of a connection charge at the time the order is placed however this will be confirmed after checks have been carried out against the details of your property, to ascertain the condition of the wiring and sockets."

So I decided to check whether there was a dial tone at the house still and there was, I also distinctly remember testing the phone last July before the last tenants were cut off, I made an incoming and outgoing call and everything was fine. So near as I can tell everything is in working order and we have a dial tone.

I rang BT up to place the order yesterday only for them to tell me that I despite this I still have to pay the charge, something to do with setting up the connection and the exchange and something or other. What I dont understand is if there is not a connection set up how exactly can there be a dial tone. Something that I do find slightly strange is that when I rang up, the person I was talking to could not find my new address on their system, despite the previous tenants being customers with them up until about 6 weeks ago, could this factor in to anything?

Basically, my friends and I refuse to pay this connection charge unless a reasonable explanation is given as to why, since we have a dial tone and the phone lines work fine. Can anyone help me understanding why they might have said I still need to pay this, and is there anything I can do or say to fight it?

If you have a dial tone, dial 150 from that phone. That will take you through to whoever currently operates that line. It may be a different company (like talktalk or post office) and you'll be able to get service through them without the connection charge.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

They ALWAYS quote the maximum. If the service is still with BT, and there's no home visit, the connection charge is reduced or waived. They STILL have a free connection offer ongoing, but it carries an 18 month minimum commitment.

Hey guys,

So, I rang BT again and the re-activation fee issue was resolved.

Turns out the inability to find our house on the system was the cause of the problem. Our road turns out to be split in to two postcodes and I was incorrectly given the wrong one by our landlord, so when I gave this postcode to BT first time around they found no house under that postcode and number, so had to create a record for it and therefore there was no evidence of their being a BT landline under that house number and postcode. Well when I phoned up today I was informed of this different postcode by the BT support person (this postcode turned out to be the correct one for my house number) and a landline was found at our house so we are no longer being charged the re-activation fee.