Legal fees and damages....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I need some advise, I was a victim of a fraud. Basically, the LL gave the keys to this agent, without meeting him or checking his credentials, to rent the LL flat, I found the apt in find a property, went to see, and ended up renting the apt, paid 12 months rent in advance. The agent run with the money, the LL took me to court and the judge was not fair with me at all. I lost the case, even though the agent was a defendant too, he award only to me the damages (which are 12K and the legal fees that are 18K, astronomical).

I do not have that kind of money, I was brankrupt 2 years ago and at the moment, not only lots the place to live, but have not job, no money, the person that was helping me deserted me as soon as things started to go wrong.

The courts award the cost and damages to me, I received an email from the LL lawyers asking me to pay, unless I rob a bank I can pay anything. They say the will enforce the court order. I am in panic, what can they do to me.

I have no asset at all, no job, and just came out of bankruptcy about 2 years ago. What can they do to me, can they take me to jail???

I am in total panic. I have not done anything wrong, the LL knows that, that I was, as he was a victmin of this man that conned all of us. He spoke to the agent before he run with the money and is totally aware that I am innocent and was conned. What can happen to me?

I will appreciate any advise.

Thanks a lot.

You can't go to jail as you have done nothing illegal. A judgement can only be enforced if you have money or assets. In your case, I would think that your former landlord is up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

So I will be ok???

He knows I have not done anything wrong. I understand he had to try to get me out of the apt. but what was I suppose to do? I had paid and had to fight to stay. In the end he found the agent, did not check his credentials and gave the keys to the apt for him to rent and manage without even meeting him in person. He basically gave to this criminal an instrument to commit a crime towards me, him and other people (as he got money from other people with the flat). I did nothing wrong and the judge was just unfair towards me as I had done something wrong. The judge even said I was a victim of a fraud, but even though awarded me the damages (which was 5 months rent, even though was totally evident I paid the rent, for a weekly rental high which the judge did not even check) and the legal cost that are near 20k...

It's soul distroying really. Why being punished for something that was not my fault?

They will chase me for money? what can they do??? I do not have any assets whatsoever...

tkx