Can I claim under house contents insurance?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First post here, so hello. :)

My situation is this:

I insured my house contents through AA Insurance with insurance company A, in January 2008. Two high value consumer items were specifically named and covered separately for replacement value. During the period of cover I had a bad accident and was in hospital for over a year, covering the period of insurance renewal when a friend helped me out with paperwork.

At renewal time, AA quoted me a lower renewal premium with insurance company B, with the same conditions, which I accepted.

During the period of cover by insurance company A, one of those high value items was written off in circumstances covered by the policy, but due to being hospitalised and not really able to cope with anything more than basic admin, I didn't claim under the insurance. Can I claim retrospectively for the loss of the item concerned, and receive the replacement value at the time of the loss or do I just have to accept the loss?

TIA for any advice.

You need to prove the loss was noticed during the period of cover with insurance company A.

If this is proven you will receive the amount the high value item was worth at the time of loss, or the Sum Insured of the item, whichever is less

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Thanks for your input, that's reassuring. I haven't contacted the insurance company yet because I've only just got out of the hospital and there's a lot of paperwork that needs dealing with urgently. I just wanted some input from outside, as it were. I can prove when the loss was noticed, that's not a problem.

Thanks again.