Experian, any help or advice appreciated!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To paint a bit of a background picture, I have since late 2006 opened new bank accounts received a new credit card with a £5,000 limit and also taken out a car loan with no problems at all.

In April my wife and I had our first child and I decided at this point to consolidate the whole lot and save as much money as possible. On applying for a loan I was declined by two separate providers, both of whom said the usual refer to your credit file.

I have for the last few years been using checkmyfile and on checking my report a default was recorded on the Callcredit report but not on Equifax. Then, on registering with Experian saw that the same default was registered there as well.

What is concerning is that I have absolutely no idea what the default relates to. Having contacted the company direct (a firm called Tessera, apparently a debt collection agency) I was advised that the default was settled in full in December 2007 have originally been registered in January 2005. I disputed this with them and asked that they provide me with full details. To date, some 4 months since enquiring I have had no response despite chasing on several occasions.

I contacted Callcredit at the same time who said that they would contact the company on my behalf, which it would appear that they did, as they later contacted me to advise that the company had not responded to their request and as such they were removing the entry from my file. Which they did straight away.

I also contacted experian who again said that they would contact the company. They also have heard nothing to date however they are point blank refusing to remove the entry from my file despite neither they or myself having had any contact from the company. All they are suggesting is to add a notice of correction (about which I have read varying reports on!)

I am at a loss as to what to do, as this entry on my experian report is basically killing any chance of credit going forward and neither experian or the company seem to give a monkeys!.

I basically have three questions and would be grateful if anyone who has had any similar experience could help.

1. The default was registered in January 2005 but only appeared on my file 4 years later, is there are ruling on date having to be accurate, therefore recorded accurately and on time?

2. Do I have any comeback with experian given that they have not been able to get any information from the company. Or should I (in vain) contact the ICO in this respect?

3. Should I register this with CIFAS? I have no reason to believe that any other accounts have been opened in my name, so can only assume that this is an error, or will that further hamper credit applications in the future?Sorry for the long winded post! Any advice would be gratefully received!!!

FT

Hello Fergalthing,

I am sorry to hear about your problems. By law if a credit reference agency contact a debt collectior and they have failed to respond to them in 21 workings days, they will have to remove the errornous data. I think you should write a letter explaining to them your rights and ask them to remove this data immediatly. i dont have template to say this exactly but you could look in google for templates. Good luck and keep us informed.

Dissiargent.