Vodafone didn't cancel when asked ***Complaint resolved***

huppelkutje

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Hope you don't mind me asking for some advice. I had a Limited Company when I lived and worked in the UK a couple of years ago and took out a Vodafone contract for a USB modem. I then got a job in Holland and after 6 months or so Lloyds closed my business account because I hadn't replied to a letter they'd sent (I was in Holland!) by the time I'd read it and contacted them they said it was too late and had cancelled the account as a security measure. My company is no longer trading now as I don't use it.

I rang Vodafone to give my personal bank details (they were the only bill coming out of my business account) and the direct debit continued from there.

Had no problems at all with the modem but after a year in Holland I really didn't need to use a UK modem anymore, so rang them in January to say I now lived abroad and was told to email to cancel the contract. After a long delay I got a reply saying it would be cancelled once I'd given them the password, mobile number etc which I did (I also asked for the cancellation to be backdated to my first email!)

I came back to the UK for a weekend in Feb/Mar and wanted to find a hotel address or something so thought I'd try the modem again with my laptop; it worked so I thought it must also work as a Pay as You Go. I assumed i'd get a bill for what I'd used, probably pricey per MB but I only used it for a couple of minutes. Can you tell what's coming??!

Anyway long story short, 5 months later I realised that Vodafone had never cancelled the contract and had been taking around 30 pounds out of my account each month, I rang them up and was told I'd be refunded. Then put through to one of the business team who didn't believe me at first but luckily I had all the copies of emails to forward to him. He then said that looking back through my account he could see the modem had been used once in each month after I'd cancelled and therefore wasn't prepared to refund my money. (He sounded so smug...so much for customer service! ) Not much I could do though as the money had already gone. He said it would be cancelled from the date I'd rung him, in May.

I cancelled the direct debit and thought that was the end of it, vowing never to use Vodafone again! But last week my mum scanned a letter from a debt collection agency (acting for Vodafone) that had gone to her house (the address I'd given Vodafone to send receipts to) and they say I owe them 53 quid. God knows what for. I rang the DCA and they weren't interested; wouldn't even take my Dutch contact number and told me the action would carry on regardless until I paid it.

Emailed Vodafone but haven't had a reply yet....

Surely the debt collection agency can't just carry on if I'm telling them I dispute the bill?

:whoo:Officially debt free October 2011 after 10 years 11 months :whoo:

I forgot to say, the dca is Direct Legal & Collections, they just wanted my card details! I didn't give them obviously. Told them the letters are going to my mums, the company is no longer trading etc.

You say that the limited company is no longer trading. Have you actually advised Companies House of this fact and has the company then been struck off. If not then the company still exists as a legal entity and as a director(?) you still have legal responsibilities.

Hopefully one of the Vodafone trolls might be able to do somethihg for you, but with all contracts, it is always best yo ERTIE by Recorded Delivery advising of your request to terminate, as you have something to rely on. As even IF you used it every month, they could not say 'you used it so you pay' - although I think you are on shaky ground for thinking you suddenly converted to PAYG without asking.

You DO have a shared responsibility to check - and blaming Vodafone for taking money that you agreed to then only cancel the DD without resolving the root cause not an ideal way to resolve issues. Hopefully they'll reach some accommodation and give you some money back.

Yeah looking back now I shouldn't have assumed that the dongle could still be used but I'd never had one before and as far as I knew the contract had been cancelled with no problems; I had it in writing that they were going to cancel it. My boyfriend was with me when I plugged it in and it worked, he thought the same as me! Even when I rang them to ask about the money still going out I thought it must be because my using the dongle had reactivated the contract, not that they'd never got round to cancelling in the first place.

I asked my accountant to absolve(?) the company earlier this year but I'm not sure if it's been struck off yet, I'll have to check with him.

What's the difference between sending a letter and emailing & phoning; I have a reply from their customer services to my email requesting cancellation?

I think the word you were looking for was 'dissolve' (but I quite like your alternative!) The REAL issue is whether it is the business or the director's Credit File that has the default showing - if the latter, this can lead to problems later (mortgage etc), whereas if the company was responsible (as a limited entity) no such worry attaches.

As to the email response - for the reason's you've found, emails are not seen as 'binding' they exist in a virtua world, and just as folk claim to have sent them, responses are easily faked too - WRITING gives greater permanence, and NO opportunity for them to wriggle if they later assert they never sent a response. As for phoning, unless you recorded the transaction - you cannot prove it took place. Just cecause the place you call MAY record calls, you can bet yours won't have been! But whar you have will be good for now!

"I asked my accountant to absolve(?) the company earlier this year but I'm not sure if it's been struck off yet, I'll have to check with him."

You can find out for yourself by going onto the Companies House web site and doing a search for your company.

I was on the same track as Busby. If it was a company account then as Busby says so long as the company has been struck off then you walk away clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi huppelkutje,

In order for me to be able to take a closer at this for you could you head over to this thread and follow the steps on how to get in touch with us.

Once you've sent the email just me know by updating the thread and I'll keep a look out for it.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

• 2 months later...

I got an email from Vodafone saying the debt had been written off & the debt collectors notified that it was no longer outstanding.

I also found out that Vodafone had been sending the monthly bills to my old address which is part of the reason I hadn't known the contract hadn't been cancelled. But the debt collectors had my new address that I'd given to Vodafone over the phone previously. Weird!

Never again....!! Thanks for your help guys :)

I wondered about this because I've read on this forum that even after people have had mistakes cleared up Vodafone have blacklisted them. I just assumed they'd do the same to me to be honest. I've had a good credit record since I was 17 though, the amount I can take out if I use all my cards is frightening really. :eek:

How do I check my credit file, do I need to pay Experian? And if this incident is on there would a letter to them mean it was taken off my file or is it not that easy? Nothing ever is, ha ha!

Heck no! You have a starutory right, and a fee of £2 to each of the three will provide the basic info on each of your three files (but no analysis, which they charge extra for). Worth it to head off any problems in a timely manner! :)

Hi huppelkutje,

I'm pleased to hear that you've been able to get part of concerns resolved and if you'd like me to take a look at your credit file you're more than welcome to get in touch with me by following the steps in our pinned thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telecoms-mobile-fixed/213340-vodafone-webteam-customers-problems.html.

As soon as I've received your details I'll then be able to get back to you to let us know what's happened.

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

I feel the same way as you buzby, I find it hard to trust Vodafone after everything that happened! Especially as the contact form is the same one I was asked to use by Vodafone when I cancelled the account originally!!!

But I've sent it off (hey, it's free!) so I'll see what response I get and let you know.

• 1 month later...

I received an email from Vodafone saying that my credit record will not have been affected due to the type of account I held with them..I assume because it was a business account for my limited company.

Thanks for your help guys :)