British Gas Arrears and CCCS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning Folks,

I have been in arrears with BG for Gas and Electric for a little while, but I had begun to pay them off (3 months ago).

Sadly, I have now become unemployed and cannot continue to clear the arrears at the same rate and they have asked for immediate payment in full.

After 6 weeks signed of sick, due to a stay in hospital, and I am now looking for work.

I have heard that if I approach CCCS and start making arrangements with them, BG will hold off putting a pre-payment metre in for a while untill I get straight.

Is this the case? Or am I destined to have pre-payment metres installed?

Thanks for any help!!

FX:)

I can see myself clearing the debt reasonably quickly, was three months into doing it over 12, but then job loss hit, so just need to put them on hold till the benefits come through and the money I am owed comes through.

Is anyone familiar with how British Gas deal with it if you go down the CCCS route?

I am contemplating sending the following letter.

Dear Sirs,

CUSTOMER REFERENCE NUMBER xxxxxxxx

Further to your recent letters, I am writing to advise you of a change in my circumstances.

I have recently admitted to hospital, this shortly following the loss of my permanent employment. As a result I am now unemployed.

The Doctor says I am now fit for work, and I have a meeting arranged in order that I can claim Job Seekers Allowance. My previous claim for ESA was accepted. I have provided some documentary proof of this enclosed.

I am not able to meet all of my obligations fully, and have contacted the CCCS for advice. I am currently in the middle of completing their recommended assessment of my circumstances and will be in touch in due course with my proposals for re-payment. I am currently awaiting some benefits payments. I would be grateful if you could hold any further action for 30 days while I take control of this situation.

Please note that I fully intend to be back in work as soon as possible, and fully intend to pay what I owe – just at the moment this is proving tricky.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call me or send a letter.

Yours faithfully

FX

Encs.

Hi BlurredFX,

Looks like you are in for a rocky road with BG if my experience is anything to go by, to see what you can expect from BG, check out my thread I started on this forum.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/utilities-gas-electricity-water/219500-british-gas-poor-customer.html

hopefully you will get something sorted out, but I am sure that if you are on benefits you will be eligible for their fuel direct scheme where a payment with which you agree with the job centre is paid directly from your benefits and BG can't say jot about it.

But I have no doubt, the way they work, you will still get harassing letters.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just to keep you posted. I was on Contribs Based JSA so couldn't go on the Fuel Direct Scheme as it is only for people on Income Based JSA.

As it happens, I was able to switch over to IB JSA (by completing a JSA3 form) as I have applied for and since received MIS (Mortgage Interest Support) - which youhave to be on IB benefits for.

The DWP have today been on, telling me what BG want for my consumption (which is a lot, more than it should be) plus £3.25 a week towards arrears.

At least this way, I avoid pre-payment metres and they can't do much else to me! Another worry dealt with.

Thanks for your good pointers on this one Scotty.

Zazen, thanks for your input, but Scotty had it right (or closer to being right), kind of!!

FX:)