Debt Age Advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4473 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all.

I have lumbered myself with quite a few debts which I'm now paying in order of urgency and I'm nearly clear bar two specific debts.

My query is...the debts are a number of years old and I've never acknowledged these debts in a "head in sand" type scenario (idiotic, I know) so I was wondering if I could find out how old these debts were and hopefully write them off under the 6 year rule.

Debt 1: Egg cc debt that egg have sold to another debt agency (Red, I think), I remember that the debt may be around 5 years old (or older) as they refer to me by my maiden name.

Debt 2: HFC bank, this debt isn't anywhere near 6 years old (taken out in 2006) but I was wondering if anything could be done as they have piled on charges over the years whilst knowing that I was in dire straits (house repossession etc) and my original debt of £8k has been multiplied to over £26K.

Thank you all.

Of course you can ask.

I get debt collection letters on a bi-weekly basis which I have ignored and I don't really know what my rights are as I don't have a CAB locally and the nearest is only open when I'm at work.

To be honest if I could write the debt off I'd be over the moon.

Past history (in a nutshell)

I had my own business which folded after much difficulty, my house was repossessed due to this and of course other debts such as council tax have mounted up. I managed to get rid of the repossession relatively easily but I still have been trying to clear.

Council tax: £3,679 (last payment for this in Jan'10)

Smile CC: £200 (last payment Dec '09)

Capital One CC: £1,400 (only just started paying this)

HFC: £26,798 (haven't made a payment yet but £18,000 of this in in charges)

Egg: £2,198 (haven't made a payment yet, no charges have been added)

3/4 of my monthly wage goes on clearing this debt and I'd rather just duck the last two pieces of debt as I've been trying to clear this for the past 3 years and I'm sick of living on baked beans.

My Advice Would Be

Ignore The Dca Letters

Those Accounts That Are Dormant/ Leave Well Alone If You Have Not Acknowledged Them

Let The Dca Do The Chasing So Not To Make It Easy For Them

Save Some Cash/pay The Priority Debts, Council Tax, Rent, Etc And Keep Your Head Down

Thank you so much for your advice.

HFC are a bit tricky they have put an inhibition on my property (I got back on the property ladder before the recession kicked in) and they have already served me with Intimation of Proposed Attachment of Articles kept outwith Dwellinghouses.

How would I deal with this? Is it legal for an unsecured debt?

unfortunaltey because they have already have the decree then the can do this but normally the send out a means sheet asking you to fill it in too see how much you can pay.

Now, you really need to send HFC a sar. tis will get youall the transactons and you can then reclaim bac the charges to get the balance reduced, can you confirm re HFC if this was for loan or bank account etc

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thank you Ida.

The original debt was back in 2003 and it was arranged by PC world for £1,200 to pay for a computer that I needed for uni. The agreement was that it was interest free for a year and I repaid the entire sum within that year. It seems that the original debt was on a rolling basis similar to a credit card or catalogue in that they could and would allow me a "credit limit" and increase as they saw fit.

I didn't realise this at the time and repaid the entire debt thinking that the account was automatically closed and then forgot about it. I then got a letter back in 2004/05 (can't remember exactly) and went into their offices to be advised that I had could borrow £8k, I was in dire straits at the time and agreed to this, spent the money on existing debts and then realised that I was rapidly heading down the bankruptcy/repossession route and was unable to make any payments.

They've now tracked me down from two address changes and a marriage to where I stand at the moment.

ok, you can still reclaim the charges as the amount is just not right. you should also send a cca request to check the agreement.

in the meantime i would contact whoever is dealing with the account at the moment and try to set up a payment to stop any other enforcements.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)