PCN - Failing to comply with a no entry sign in Rye Lane SE15

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5203 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

:confused: Newbie to this particular forum but hope you can help/advise.

On my first trip to Peckham armed with my Google directions it seems I went through a no entry sign. To my recollection I did not why would I, yet if I did, it was definately unintentional. The picture they sent with the PCN shows my car and the date that I was in Peckham but not much else. The PCN does state that the contravention has been recorded on video tape, so am going to ask for a copy to be sent to me as I don't fancy risking a trip to Walworth Road, which again is unfamiliar territory to me.

I have uploaded the PCN so those with the knowledge/experience of these can advise me as to whether or not it is worth challenging. Having said that, I guess without the video evidence there may not be much you can advise at this stage? (Pic is quite dark and grainy, hope you can make it out)

Thanks in the meantime.

PCN Peckham 1.pdf

PCN Peckham.pdf

PCN Peckham 3.pdf

Hi Mam62,

Sorry to advise you, whether it was intentional or not, the wrongful act has been done. Although your driving offence is classed as a crime, you dont have to have a guilty mind; as in other crimes. Your only hope really is that the video does not show the sign that you allegedly went through. Write to them and ask if you can have a copy of the video evidence. Just one other thought, have you reveived a Notice of Intended Prosecution. Sctn 172 statement of driver at the time of the offence declaration. If you havent thenm in my humble opinion the ticket is unlawful. If you fail to comply with a regulatory traffic sign , you have ti be NIP'd. If they havent done that the offence is out of the window. I live up north and someone else may advise me of some special local law which states they don't have to NIP you, but until then my advice stands.

Hope this helps - Cheers - Scousegeezer.

Hi Mam62,

Sorry to advise you, whether it was intentional or not, the wrongful act has been done. Although your driving offence is classed as a crime, you dont have to have a guilty mind; as in other crimes. Your only hope really is that the video does not show the sign that you allegedly went through. Write to them and ask if you can have a copy of the video evidence. Just one other thought, have you reveived a Notice of Intended Prosecution. Sctn 172 statement of driver at the time of the offence declaration. If you havent thenm in my humble opinion the ticket is unlawful. If you fail to comply with a regulatory traffic sign , you have ti be NIP'd. If they havent done that the offence is out of the window. I live up north and someone else may advise me of some special local law which states they don't have to NIP you, but until then my advice stands.

Hope this helps - Cheers - Scousegeezer.

Ignore all the above in most London moving traffic offences are decriminalised and dealt with outside the Court system.

:confused: Sorry for the delay, internet connection is hit and miss today.

Many thanks for your reply's.

No I came from Barry road, then on to Peckham Rye. Is Rye lane off there somewhere? I am totally unfamiliar with the area (I guess that's obvious).

:confused: Sorry for the delay, internet connection is hit and miss today.

Many thanks for your reply's.

No I came from Barry road, then on to Peckham Rye. Is Rye lane off there somewhere? I am totally unfamiliar with the area (I guess that's obvious).

barry road peckham - Google Maps

How about here...look familiar? There are so many no entry in the area you need to see the cctv I think.

Hi green_and_mean.

:confused: It does look somewhat familiar but I remember I had to do a right into Copeland road because of the 'buses only' signs to the left.

I turned right down Consort road, then onto Clayton road.

I think things started getting more confusing after that. I remember doing a left into Peckham High street. Could that have been where I went wrong? I did not see any signs to say I couldn't turn left but admittedly, there were buses stopped on the left just before the traffic lights. Maybe there was a sign where the buses were?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received one of these - I can't spot a no-entry on rye lane except for the one at the top of the 'high street'

Of course, the PCN is no help as to where this was supposed to have occured.

I'll be appealing - if only to find out where they are talking about!

Just received one of these - I can't spot a no-entry on rye lane except for the one at the top of the 'high street'

Of course, the PCN is no help as to where this was supposed to have occured.

I'll be appealing - if only to find out where they are talking about!

You are entitled to view video before making an appeal and should do so or you will be appealing blind with no idea of what took place,

Hi there,

I've just spent the last 30 mins examining the area in question on Google and there seems to be at least one 'no entry' (except buses) where the signage seems a little iffy to me. For eaxmple here;

Barry Road Southwark, London SE15, United Kingdom - Google Maps

the signs should be in a line on both sides of the road, but here the one on the right is further back than the one on the left. Plus the blue 'turn left ahead' sign appears to be too high up so in my opinion, they are unenforcable. Waht do the rest of you guys think?

• 3 months later...

OK - I appealed on this basis:

The PCN does not state the precise location of the alleged contravention. There are a number of no entry signs listed in the document attached to this letter (from http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_26911.pdf) it is unclear from the PCN which of these have been contravened.

The PCN states "A penalty charge of £120 is payable and must be paid before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the date of service of this notice" I contend that the wording of this PCN is invalid, as it gives 28 days from the date of service of the notice. This is incorrect. This wording mis-states my legal position and does not comply with the relevant statues (The London Local Authorities and Transport for London Act 2003, Section 4 (8) iii and iv), which clearly states the 14 and 28 day periods begin with the date of notice, not the date of service of the notice. I refer you again to a recent PATAS case 2070445427: Pulp Faction Recycling v Islington which found that the relevant wording on a PCN to be mandatory. I attach this for your convenience.

Got this in the post:

ZxdLvl.jpg

:D

Nice result, Well done!

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.