Contract ended, notice served, tenant won't leave

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5347 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I hope someone can help.

I have a house by a university I rent it to students. Last year a spanish mature student (37) took a room who was only at college. The house is for 5 people but I only had two in it that year. This year from 1st Sept it is fully booked. People have paid Septembers rent already. The spanish girl with her ocd behaviour and tantrums made the other girl leave as she was unbearable to live with. I had to let her out of her contract and lost rent because of this.

I know the spanish girl is wierd and wondered if she would go or not at the end of the contract. She is supposed to be going to Manchester University. With this thought in mind I issued a notice of possession over two months ago which she refused to sign but said she was going.

Tonight she text me to say she needs an extra two weeks and for the other person to wait until she leaves !!!!angry-smiley-030.gif. This is not possible as they are moving in on Tuesday.

Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of her as she has no excuses to stay on she knew she had to go. And of course what can my new tenant do ?? can he sue me or her and where is he to go. This is making me feel sick with just days to go until the 1st.

Thanks for any advice.

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Been on hol for a week, got home found letter from them dated
27/6/06 offer of £92 claiming £1155.10 so no deal.

Filed claim with Moneyclaim 12/07/06

Halifax acknowledged claim 25/7/06

Court papers received 28/7/06 Halifax intend to defend.

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL 1/8/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

13th Aug accepted offer unconditionally.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES (MORTGAGE) SETTLED IN FULL 24/8/06

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

DEFAULTS REMOVED 5/09/06.
THATS 9 DAYS LATER, YES 9 DAYS

unfortunatly the law does seem a little biased towards the renter on this

if proper notice has already been served and they refuse to move then i beleave the next step is eviction notice, however this can take a month or more. and the judge can provide "additional time" for the tenent if they can prove that its "exceptional circumstances".

i would hold on for more advice as tenant law isnt my forté

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I presume that your tenant is under an AST and that you served an s.21 notice. This is just that - a notice that you require possession. If tenant does not go on the required date I'm afraid you have to apply to the court for possession. This can take some time, and as mentioned before, the judge can take tenant's circumstances into account. If tenant still does not leave, you have to get bailiffs to remove them. This is all a very long-drawn-out process and certainly won't happen in two weeks.

If your tenant is indeed under an AST (if you are not resident then she will be) on no account can you evict her. This would be illegal eviction which is an extremely serious offence and you could end up with a heavy fine and even imprisonment.

Regarding your new tenant, you will have to find alternative accommodation until your spanish tenant has departed. Not good news I know, but as I said, on no account can you evict her.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

I presume the property is a registered HMO and as such, the rest of the tenants should be able to move in but you will have to find alternative accommodation for the one who was to occupy the sitting tenant's room.

You might like to warn the other tenants of the problem (it may be that if the 5th tenant is a friend that they may "encourage" the sitting tenant to depart.... )

You could try offering Spanish tenant cash to go, but (I know this sounds daft) I am not sure this is actually legal as it may be classed as harrassment to encourage eviction.

You should definitely set the legal wheels in motion. By the way, tenant does not have to sign s.21 notice. Tell her you are applying to the court to evict her - it might move her more swiftly..

Difficult situation for you. Sorry I can't give you better news to resolve it.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Thank you all for your replys. I have read the shelter website and it says that the council will only prosocute the landlord in exetreme circumstances eg if they have misbehaved several times. I have been registered with the council now for about 9 years with no problems from me.

She can apply for her losses. Which I don't think there will be. Her stuff will be safe. As it stands I would have to pay for a room for the boy anyway. The benefits for changing the locks are that the boy would get his room at no extra cost to me and he would be happy.

I am just thinking aloud at the moment, toying. Dammed if I do dammed if I don't.

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Been on hol for a week, got home found letter from them dated
27/6/06 offer of £92 claiming £1155.10 so no deal.

Filed claim with Moneyclaim 12/07/06

Halifax acknowledged claim 25/7/06

Court papers received 28/7/06 Halifax intend to defend.

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL 1/8/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

13th Aug accepted offer unconditionally.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES (MORTGAGE) SETTLED IN FULL 24/8/06

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

DEFAULTS REMOVED 5/09/06.
THATS 9 DAYS LATER, YES 9 DAYS