Tracing letter received - Advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a "tracing letter" from a company styling themselves "debt recovery and trace consultants".

Essentially it asks me to contact them (assuming I am the correct recipient) whereupon "further detailed information can be provided" or, if I am NOT the person, to contact them anyway to provide information as to the named person.

In this case I AM the named person? Do I respond? If so, how? If I just ignore it, what are the ramifications?

It is definitively from a DCA (as I have tracked it back via the account number provided) to one of the DCAs I am dealing with. As I have been writing to all DCAs on a monthly basis, with monthly payments, and have variously send CCas and SARs to all of them, it is clearly a DCA who has somehow "lost my address".

They clearly know I have NOT gone away (as there is monthly comunication from me to them) but I never put my address on any communication (just name and account details). I have moved a few times so I suppose they have just lost track of me formally.

Any suggestions? I just do not want to make a tactical mistake.

You are not obliged to contact them. This could be a phishing trip.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Snap CitiB :)

Please can you tell them I'm in floods of tears at being demoted to basic. My sense of self worth is ruined. I just don't know who I am anymore...

May even have to have counselling...:eek:

:D

((())) there, there.. :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Understood - althoguh it was specific as it has my name and address and reference number of one of the DCAs I am dealing with. I do not think a phishing attempt.

What I suspect is that I have send a CCA or SAR request to them (both are outstanding to the DCA who is referred to in the letter) and, in attempting to reply, the DCA has found they lack my current address!

For me, if they do NOT send me the CCA or comply with the SAR I can say, "they are in default as I never to it" whereas they could argue "we tried to respond but did not have his address".

For me I have always felt it was a positon of "more strength" that I knew where they were - but they could not contact me. But maybe that is irrelevant.

No. I did NOT put my address on the CCA (just my name, account number to which it relates etc). It is always been my tactic to make it the RESPONSIBILITY of the DCA to have my current address - or to incur the extra hassle and expense of finding it. I want to make their experience of dealing with me as costly, time consuming and annoying as possible - in the hope they will just say "its not worth the effort" and accept my offer of 15% of the amount claimed to resolve the matter.

I woudl have thought they would go for the "low hanging fruit" and chase people whe (i) are easily cowed (ii) do not know their rights and (iii) do not "fight back".

Ahh I see where you're coming from!

The only problem I can see with that is that you may lose the protection of the 12+2 (CCA) and 40 +2 (SAR) day rules if you haven't provided them with full info on your formal requests. It would possibly difficult to justify a complaint to ICO for non compliance, for example , or to withhold payment on a non produced CCA.

If that's not a problem to you, I would imagine all you can do is sit it out and make them dig..but beware of other tactics such as contacting neighbours etc.

Any thoughts Citib?

(Thanks for the hug, I'm on the mend now :))

Snap CitiB :)

Please can you tell them I'm in floods of tears at being demoted to basic. My sense of self worth is ruined. I just don't know who I am anymore...

May even have to have counselling...:eek:

:D

I've just noticed I have become basic as well oh my god! do you thing we could get a discount on the counselling sessions