applying for housing benefit in advance.

lordmitz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys,

this week i've been informed that the shop we work at will be closing down in a month, and obviously that'll leave me jobless for a little while. i've been there a few years and will be getting a little redundancy to tide me over, but my main worry is my rent. i was wondering if anyone knows if i'll be able to apply for housing benefit in advance? i know it can take a while to get sorted out. i only pay £200 a month for my room in a shared house (not including rates), but as i'm not expecting to land into a job as soon as i get made redundant from this, i worry that the rent will chew through what little savings i have quickly.

also, would i have to sign on to get the housing benefit, or can i receive it without?

any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, guys :)

You can apply for HB now and be assessed on your current income and, if awarded HB, notify your council once you become unemployed; or you can wait until you are made redundant and then apply making sure you ticj the box about waiting to hear about a benefit claim.

Councils have a maximum of 14 days (calendar not working) to make a decision on a HB claim from when all relevant documentation is supplied, this is prescribed in the regulations, after which the council must make a payment on account without the need for you to request this. From experience, many benefit officers at councils don't know this and will try to tell you otherwise.

Any problems let us know and we will help you.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

To add to installspark's excellent advice, I'd note the following:

You can claim Housing Benefit whether or not you are signing on, but if you're unemployed and seeking work, I'd strongly advise you to claim JSA even if you don't actually need the money. This is because NI contributions will be credited to you while you sign on.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.