Jump to content

applying for housing benefit in advance.


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

hi guys,


this week i've been informed that the shop we work at will be closing down in a month, and obviously that'll leave me jobless for a little while. i've been there a few years and will be getting a little redundancy to tide me over, but my main worry is my rent. i was wondering if anyone knows if i'll be able to apply for housing benefit in advance? i know it can take a while to get sorted out. i only pay £200 a month for my room in a shared house (not including rates), but as i'm not expecting to land into a job as soon as i get made redundant from this, i worry that the rent will chew through what little savings i have quickly.


also, would i have to sign on to get the housing benefit, or can i receive it without?


any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, guys :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can apply for HB now and be assessed on your current income and, if awarded HB, notify your council once you become unemployed; or you can wait until you are made redundant and then apply making sure you ticj the box about waiting to hear about a benefit claim.


Councils have a maximum of 14 days (calendar not working) to make a decision on a HB claim from when all relevant documentation is supplied, this is prescribed in the regulations, after which the council must make a payment on account without the need for you to request this. From experience, many benefit officers at councils don't know this and will try to tell you otherwise.


Any problems let us know and we will help you.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.


If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to installspark's excellent advice, I'd note the following:


You can claim Housing Benefit whether or not you are signing on, but if you're unemployed and seeking work, I'd strongly advise you to claim JSA even if you don't actually need the money. This is because NI contributions will be credited to you while you sign on.




The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...