EDF/Richburns - Advice please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4684 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya, my gas bill got out of hand and has a debt of £180 i thought i had arranged a payment with edf i was ment to be calling tomorrow to pay £50 installment, but now i have recieved a letter from richburn saying the 180 is now with them saying it is their intention to come to my house from 29th aug to install a prepayment meter or disconnect me, it gives me the option to call and pay,

I cant pay it in full simple as that, i can pay £50 but do i ring richburn or do i ring edf, and surely they cant give me a letter dated today 27th to say they coming from 29th

Help please!!!

Are richburn debt collectors if so as far as i know they have no right to call on you without your say.I would ring edf and ask what right they have to pass on your details and that you will be reporting them ,something along those lines ,Also get your arrangment back on to pay them and try to get it on writting ,This will bump you up the list

In the case of a debt owed to a utility company a live account would never be passed to an external DCA. Richburns are acting as agents for your supplier.

Unfortunately sometimes a utility company will agree to a payment arrangement to get a payment from you there and then and allow the debt follow up to continue in the background, this may be what has happened here, especially if previous payment arrangements have failed.

Does the OP have an update

Edited by zazen.warrior

You must not pay a debt collection agency without proof you owe them so try to put everything in writting

What a stupid thing to say. The op has already agreed that they owe money.

The utility company will not pass a debt to a dca unless the o/b has passed its due by date. The utility company will have tried to make contact, and in this instance they have made contact, and have a payment arrangement in place. Call the utility company and ask why you have been sent a letter by richburns when an arrangement is in place. They should call richburns off, especially if you make the next payment when you call. If you speak to the richburns agent explain that an arrangement is in place, and get him or her to call the utility company to clarify this.

How does it work with Richburns acting as agents

Essentially they will be doing the footwork. But in the case of a live utility account they really do have teeth.

The usual ‘don't speak to them; don't deal with them’ does not apply here as that may well result in additional charges being added to the debt; the cost of the warrant to gain access to the meter etc.

To agree to a prepayment meter if the debt cannot be settled will probably save the customer in the region of £300.00.

Burying your head in the sand and letting it go to court will only result in these fees being added to the debt which is then set to collect at a weekly amount via the prepayment meter.

The whole issue here is that we are not dealing with a finite amount of debt.

Edited by zazen.warrior
  • Haha 1