style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My car had a tubo problem. Cost to fix was £2800. I took it to the garage, and after a week they told me after fitting the new parts the engine 'went' and now the car is a write off.

Thier insurance want to offer me the book vlaue of the car minus the £2800 repair costs. They argue that the car was only worth that when I took it to the garage.

I optimistically wonder whether - as my car blew up with the new bits on it, and a different fault occured - my car was worth the full book value, and they shold pay me that?

Has anyone any opinion

Many Thanks

Lewej

You are entitled to whatever the car was worth 1 second before the engine blew. Had you paid the garage £2800 for the work then full book value should have been offered. However as you hadn't yet paid the garage the insurance offer seems sort of fair. I assume that their insurance company will be paying the garage the £2800!!!

I would be interested to know what caused the engine to go so soon after the garage had done some work on the turbo.

Hi

Did get a rather incomplete answer as to what went wrong. The mechanic said it started to suck up the engine oil and burn that, which caused real damage apparently.

My insurance company is not doing aynthing. The garages insurance company are paying out, as it went nbang in their garage.

Apparently there is a fault on the pre July 2003 320 diesels. A non BMW trubo falls apart and can mash the whole engine. BMW have been making goodwil payment of 60% of the cost, but this car was registered in Germany and so is no good.

Cheers