style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a Samsung touchscreen phone and with it a 2 year contract with orange in January of this year.

The phone has recently started freezing, and also even when the battery has been charged overnight, it lasts for no more than a few hours, without the phone being used at all.

I have just emailed the company I bought it from to ask for their repairs and replacements procedure, but I just wanted to be absolutely clear on my rights and what I should demand from the shop if they get awkward.

(my daughter has health issues, and so when she goes back to school on Thursday it is essential that I have a mobile with me at all times)

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

You are covered by SOGA - the phone must be fir for purpose, however if software you have installed or if abuse (squeezing unduly, dropping, wet/dampness etc) is identified, this prevents the full protection of hte Act.

The phone has nothing to do with your service contract - you can swap the SIM to another Orange phone so you don't lose service or inclusive monthly bundles. ASDA sell new (basic) ones with a years guarantee for £10!

If the repairer places the blame on you and you wish to challenge their report, it is up to you to find an alternative repairter who will support your position. If you cannot find one, there's little point in pursuing this as a court win would be unlikely.

Natalie, freezing of the phone is down to the operating software, installed/running applications and free memory. (Much the same way that computers get slower and slower over time).

As with computers, you could spend ages finding out the case of the software glitch / freeze and try to take steps to remedy it. Or you could backup all the data you want to keep (put it on the memory card or syncronise to a PC) and and do a hard reset. This will probably wipe all handset memory but should revert the operating software back to a similar state it was in when it came out of the box.

Let us know which type of Samsung it is and i might be able to help further.

its a SGH f480 (tocco)

The freezing isnt so much of a problem, but the battery issue is. I can charge it over night (more than 12 hours) and within a couple of hours of having it switched on (without actually using it) it will be flat again.

FAQ SECTION HERE

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

Sorry. i misread the first post, missed all the stuff about short battery life.

You need to establish if it is the phone or the battery causing this issue. Check that you have the bluetooth switched off, no applications constantly running, good signal, etc. as all this can use power and mean you needing to charge it regularly. Ideally, if you have any friends or family with the same phone, see if they'll swap batteries for a day to see which the problem follows. Also, ensure it is charging correctly by using a different charger (use the usb data cable the came with the phone - this should also charge the phone).

If it is the battery that's the problem then you'll need to buy a new one. Manufacturers only offer a 6 month warrenty on batteries. If it's the phone that's causing the problem then contact Samsung to take advantage of their warrenty (this might involve you sending the phone away for a short period of time for them to fix it).

If you don't have anyone to swap batteries with to test it, i would probably suggest buying a new battery (cheap if you search online). You'll either resolve the issue once you get the battery, or realise that you then have to send the phone off for repair (but you'll then have a spare battery in the future for emergencies so all is not lost).

Oooh its interesting that you mention signal, I am away from home, staying with family in rural Scotland at the moment with no signal at all.

FAQ SECTION HERE

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

If there's no signal, then the phone is constantly searching for signal and this continued activity on your phone can use up a lot of power and ultimately require you to charge your phone more regularly.

This might be the cause in this instance. Ask yourself if the problem only started occurring when you first went to stay with your family? A way to test how much impact this continual signal searching is having is to fully charge the phone, then go into settings and change the profile to 'offline' (sometimes referrred to as 'flight mode'). This will allow you to keep the phone switched on, but will stop the phone bothering to try to look for signal or trying to log onto a network. Have this for half a day, how's the battery holding up now? If still the same problem then it's not the signal causing the issue, and you'd have to investigate whether it's the battery or the phone at fault. If there's no problem, then you might be looking at lack of network coverage at that location being the cause.

Edited by jacktheband
typo