Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me understand what is going on with my mortgage lender. I fell into 4 months arrears but have a repayment arrangement in place for the mortgage amount & to clear the arrears this was arranged by another organisation who work on their behalf.   I have now received a court hearing date letter for 20th December for a possession hearing and I’m really confused as to why I’ve received this. I’ve contacted the organisation I arranged the repayment plan with but haven’t had a reply yet.   What is the best thing for me to do now to get this resolved? 
    • It is at the dealer that performed the service that identified the issue. I have not moved it, because even if I wanted to I came drive it now knowing what I do. I told the finance company sitting in the dealership reception.   I did not decide to take it for repair to a garage near me. I had no idea this was there until it was shown to me. I have also straight up asked them if they are happy where it is and they said yes. I have incurred no further costs outside the initial service it was due, that I have obviously no intention of claiming back.    to summarise facts: I purchased a 2015 car on HP for £31,980 in July from an independent dealer. The car has full main dealer service history and had done 36000 miles Car went in for its 6 year service at my nearest main dealer on 25th November When it came to change the spark plugs, coolant was found in the spark well for cylinder 7. I saw this myself. Could not definitely say what it was caused by (apart from the obvious - a crack) as no one had seen a similar fault so performed more diagnostic tests. I contacted finance company via their live chat informing them of issue- yes I have a transcript. Was told a complaint was raised and they would be in touch. I then went home. when I got home a form had been emailed to me to fill out that asked questions such as what I had done so far, where it is, what resolution I would like and other needless things like was it taxed or insured. I completed and forwarded the form Dealer diagnosed a crack in the cylinder heads water jacket the next morning, causing a slow leak under pressure. The dealer did not charge for the diagnosis. I asked the dealer to email me a report. I then forwarded this to the finance company with an updated version of the form sent the previous day. The following Tuesday I got an email saying they tried to phone me and asking, I quote “I understand you were in the process of getting a Diagnostic Report completed on the vehicle, please can you send this into us so we can forward this on to the dealer to investigate?” To which I sent it again, informing them I sent it the previous Friday  I contacted their customer services to ensure receipt, getting through to my case handler appears impossible. They said they had. Not having heard anything I finally managed to get through to my case handler last Thursday. They say they are waiting on the dealer. At this time I said I am raising it under my credit agreement with you to be told “ we do this everyday we need to hear from them” I get an email back, back peddling a bit saying  “Further to our conversation, we have forwarded the information and report you have sent in to the dealership <name>.  We are jointly liable with the dealership for the issues with the vehicle, however as we don't have a work shop to repair the vehicle, we give the dealership the responsibility and a single opportunity to repair the faults. Once the dealership have reviewed the information we have provided, and we receive a response from them, we will contact you to update you. ”   I then received a phone call where I was told they need their engineer to inspect the vehicle, I asked if that was necessary as they already have a report for a pretty simple fault. I was told yes. I then said I insist on being there for it. I also confirmed if the car is ok where it is. I followed up with an email summarising our call and haven’t heard anything since. I don’t want to be bent over here, nor do I want this to drag on. So I am not keen on waiting eons for the local guy from the pub to inspect it then get his mum to write a report which evidence points to being the quality delivered from the engineering company they use. I may be over cynical here but I’ve already had one crappy bit of news so why not more.   If I have to pay for it myself then try claim it back I’d probably go down a more legal route. What is a reasonable time frame to agree that the solution is to fix a crack in a lump of aluminium?    
    • This discussion has become rather stop start – mainly, I suppose, because of the difficulty you have had in getting quotes. However, could you just sum up here the cost of addressing all of these defects – and how much have you paid already?
    • SALE OF THE CENTURY: The government’s plans to sell off the UK’s vaccine manufacturing plant will leave the country vulnerable to emerging Covid variants ahead, the head of the centre behind the Oxford jab has warned.   Professor Adrian Hill told The Independent that the sale of the Vaccine Manufacturing Innovation Centre (VMIC) in Harwell was like “having been in a terrible war and you suddenly cut your defence budget substantially”.   Labour’s Wes Streeting, the new shadow health secretary, said it “would be unbelievably short-sighted and complacent” to sell off VMIC with a pandemic still raging. Meanwhile, concern mounts over the slow rollout of booster jabs. Data shows at least 300,000 housebound people haven’t yet had their booster, according to The Telegraph.   -Independent         Vaccines Manufacturing Innovation Centre, Oxfordshire, UK WWW.PHARMACEUTICAL-TECHNOLOGY.COM Vaccine Manufacturing Innovation Centre (VMIC) in Oxfordshire will become the first-ever facility dedicated for the development and...        
    • So what is the next step here?
  • Recommended Topics

  • Our picks

  • Recommended Topics

Council have given us 28 days or they will force the sale of the house.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

My mother is being charged for care provided for her elderly mother who was diagnosed as having severe Alzheimer's. My gran was sectioned and put into care and a charge was placed against her property for payment of the Care Home Fees. The house was left to my mother, who lives there.


The Council have written to my mother saying that under Section 22 (8 ) of the Health and Social Services and Social Security Adjudications Act 1983, they have the same powers and remedies under the Law of Property Act 1925, esp Section 103(1), to sell the house. The debt is for £23k. They have given my mother 28 days to pay in full or they will sell/force a sale of the house. My mother is on a low income (and ironically works for the council in question) and cannot raise such a sum.


I am in the process of launching a dispute with the local Primary Care Trust and Social Services as to whether or not the debt is legal due to the 'primary need' being a health issue upon my grandmother's initial admission into care. This is dependant on accessing my grandmother's medical records, which can take upto 40 days. However, I need help in stopping the Director of Legal & Democratic Services at the local council proceeding with this as he has given my mother 28 days to pay and is being very aggressive and ruthless in his pursuit of this debt. How can I stop him?


Please help! My email is [email protected]

Edited by mattidog
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope so Daniella, and thank you for your concern.


And yes postggj, I am hoping it won't come to having to go to court, but if so I do hope he agrees with how outrageous they are being. It's sickening.


We were led to believe by the council that the charge against the property meant that if the property were to be sold, they would claim the money from the proceeds, but that they cannot force the sale or even encourage it. And that was basically where we stood. We have that statement in writing from them. This is a new guy on the case who says the previous advice was wrong, and who would seem slightly less sympathetic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed my MP on Saturday and have received no response. I will email him again and, as you suggest, bring it to the notice of my councillor. It seems to me that, on one level, the Council's own advice has led to a very injurious position, imposed by the Council. There must be some law about getting into major trouble with the same party whose advice directly put you into that trouble? Isn't that like a civil equivalent to entrapment, if such a thing exists?

Edited by mattidog
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok reported post acknowledged-please wait a little.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.



Link to post
Share on other sites

If your mum is over 60 or incapacitated then they can't count the property as capital. However, in any other circumstance including if your mum lived with your grandmother as her carer the decision is down to each individual Council.


Have you tried to speak to the Director? I know in Council housing the Notices Seeking Possession have to be in the name of the Director but they don't get involved in the cases. So although you may have paperwork with their name on it it's unlikely they will be aware of your case.


The other way is to get the Councillor or MP involved asking why they are pushing for the sale when the property is someone's home. I would definitely try the Councillor as all their work is around the Council whereas MPs have Government commitments.


How long has your mother been living there? If she was there before and perhaps acting as carer she is more likely to get sympathy than if she moved in there after your grandmother was put into care.

Edited by Aviva
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your reply. I had assumed that the Council had legal grounds for pursuing as aggressively as they are.


My main questions really are a) is there a way of halting the proceedings whilst we order a review of the alleged debt and appeal against its validity, and b) can the Council reasonably take such draconian measures when the action taken (or lack of) was as a result of their own advice? Is that legal?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear your mum is in this situation. I assume she is living in the property? how long has she lived there?


You say you have a letter from the council stating they will not force the sale of the property? this would be very useful if you have to go to court to defend. You must try to get an appointment with your MP - he or she will have a surgery in your area on certain days of the month - who is it?


If they do proceed with a forced sale action then you can defend in court, we will help you with that.


If there is almost a month before they take any action then you should have time to get the MP involved.



Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums



This site is run solely on donations


My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...