County Court claim - jaznh

jaznh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, everyone here really is an inspiration in getting these corporate leeches off your back! I'm trying to create a thread in response to tomterm8's excellent 'Basic Introduction to Consumer Credit litigation' thread. Do I need this thread so that CAG can see what my problem is, then give me a hand to sort it out - I assumed that's what's happening.

Anyway, my wife received a County Court claim from CL FINANCE LIMITED. She isn't exactly certain for which debt it is (yes, we have several that were being handled by CAB) :(; but we think it's for a Debenhams store card.

The amount claimed is £xxx + Court fee £55.00 + Solicitor's costs £70= £xxx in total.

I noticed too, that in the 'particulars of claim', they say the 'Defendant has failed to make payment in accordance with the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served pursuant to section 87...' She says she has never received such a notice. Should it be that a notice has to be signed for, thus acknowledging receipt? Sorry about all these questions - I don't have much experience in this, as you can probably see! :confused:

Also, what should we do if my wife sent all communications to CAB - do we need them all back? Regarding a credit agreement request, she hasn't done this specifically, but could CAB have entered into an agreement with the DCA? If so, is it possible remove yourself from that?

We're very grateful for all the work that you guys do in our behalf, looking forward to a response,

Regards & best wishes, JnH :cool:

Edited by 42man

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jaznh.....what you need to do is acknowledge the claim within 14 days of the date on the claim form, if you wish to defend ALL then state that then you get a further 14+3 days in which to submit your defence....however it would be possibly too early to do this...the first thing to do is issue a CPR31.14 by recorded delivery to the opposing solicitors...This needs to be in line with the particulars of the claim....is there any mention of an assignment of the debt at all ? Can you post up the full particulars ? (minus the account number/amounts)....

Have a read here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/159445-getting-them-reveal-their.html

Hi 42man, thank you so much! You've really helped me begin to get some confidence in the route out of all this.

I'm working on scanning the claim form into the thread, (& removing the details you mention), but in the meantime, the 'particulars of claim' are as follows: " The Claimant's claim is for the sum of 850.58 being for monies due from the Defendant to the Claimant under a regulated credit agreement between the Defendant & Santander Cards UK Ltd, under ref. ________ & assigned to the claimant on the 19th August, 2009 notice of which has been given to the Defendant.

The Defendant has failed to make payment in accordance with the terms of the agreement & a default notice has been served...(this is the phrase in the claim to which I make reference in my first post, which Debbie says she never received) upon Defendant pursuant to Section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Pursuant to Clause 7 of the agreement, the Claimant also claims contractual interest at a rate of 26.478% per annum from the date of these proceedings to the date of judgement, or sooner payment, accruing at a daily rate of 0.73".

These are the 'Particulars of Claim' in full. Does this include any 'assignment of the debt'? Also, thank you for helping me understand the order of events I need to have in mind. I did indeed find out today the two dates of assignment: 'Acknowledgement of service': 14th Sep. 'Date of due Defence': 28th Sep. The lady I spoke to asked if there was going to be a defence of claim; but I thought it wouldn't be wise to commit to a definitive answer, so I said that Debbie 'might possibly defend it'. Is any of this helpful information?

Once again, many thanks. Regards & best wishes, JnH

ok so it does mention the assignment,....

Send this recorded delivery ASAP to the opposing solicitors....also one point you MUST include in your defence is this line -

The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to recover interest at a rate of 26.478% per annum on unpaid sums due for the price of goods supplied by the Claimant to the Defendant. It is denied that such a rate of interest represents a reasonably accurate assessment of the loss sustained by the Claimant by reason of late payment. The Defendant avers the rate of interest is penal and unenforceable at law.

This is the CPR to send....

Dear Sir,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:

CPR 31.14 Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) County Court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest all of your claim.

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 the agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 the notice of assignment

3 the default notice

4 the termination notice

5 statements for the full duration of the agreement

6 the deed of the assignment

Although your claim is for a sum which is not more than £5,000.00 and will in all likelihood be allocated to the small claims track for determination upon my delivering a defence, at this moment in time I have not delivered my defence and the case has not been allocated to a track. In consequence the provisions of CPR 27(2) are of no effect and you should not seek to avoid compliance with your CPR 31 duties by claiming otherwise

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

yours faithfully

And if you are stuck, then please do shout or send me a PM....(I won't answer personally but I will answer on this thread).....I will also move this thread to the Legal Issues forum too...

Hi, my bet is that you will receive a letter from C L Finance Limited two days after your request saying that "we are not obliged to provide this information under CPR 31.14. This claim is for less than £5000 and therefore the fule is not applicable. We can confirm that any disclosure will be dealt with as directed by the court. The Particulars of Claim should be sufficient for you to reply to the claim form".

Put this letter with your defence as an exhibit.

HH

Thanks, 42man, I've filed the acknowledgment of service online (It is Northampton), & I'll be sending the CPR 31.14 tomorrow.

The due date of Defence is the 28th Sep - is there anything I could other than wait for their response to the CPR request?

Hello again 42man, I've sent my CPR which I know was received 3rd Sep; but no response as I post this on the 10th. Also, where exactly would there be a thread showing me how to file the defence, i.e. documents to include, or perhaps County court protocols, etc. Are you able to give any further advice? Much appreciation & thanks in advance, JnH

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/216902-county-court-claim-jaznh.html

Thank-you 42man,

I've been reading the 'Urgent help needed Robinson Way' thread; & I have one fundamental question. In point 24 of his defence - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/160703-urgent-help-needed-robinson.html#post1721582;

he says this:" The defendant notes that the Civil procedure rules also require the original documents to be made available under practice direction 32" Is this a reference to CPR 32; & not only that, but I see no other reference to CPR 32.

So when you say to pstanf10 that "this is a 'usual' defence when the CPR hasn't been responded to..."; would that apply to my CPR 32 request? Also, are there parts of what seems to me to be an excellent defence which I would need to edit, as my CPR request doesn't make reference to section 15, 18, etc.

Hoping you can understand why I ask these things, I very much appreciate your attention. Regards & best wishes, JnH

Thank you, 42man for such a quick response.

Reading through so much Civil procedure begins to send you into a spin, doesn't it? Are you able to list a simple definition between using CPR 18 & CPR 31? By the way - I mentioned CPR 32 in my last post, when I should have said CPR 31!

Once again, many thanks, JnH

Hello again, 42man,

I've read & read the above thread that you kindly pointed me to ('Getting them to reveal their vitals...'); but I still have a couple of difficulties.

The thing is, too, that I'm trying to deal with this for my wife so I'm trying very hard not cock it up for her. I think you'll understand why I would say I'm feeling a little more sensitive about it for that reason.

Firstly, on page 1 of that thread, x20 mentions that he would post how to respond if the solicitor's do not react to your CPR 31.14 request. I cannot find such a post anywhere in thread; & that is exactly what has happened in our case. So, how do I prepare a defence if my CPR 31 has not been responded to?

Secondly, assuming it does get to court; can I represent my wife as the LiP, or does she have to carry that out?

Once again, many thanks & regards, JnH

hiya subbing with interest laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Hi there guys, we really appreciate everyone looking over here to help.

I think I've gone & created quite a serious problem; as I've been looking over the solicitors letters in readiness to file the defence today - it has to be in Mon 28th. We did receive a 'NOTICE OF ASSIGNMENT' & 'NOTICE OF DEFAULT SUMS' (even though it has only ONE payment listed, 11th August); the respective dates of these are:19th August, 24th August (which also happens to be the issue date of the claim). The thing is, I'm sure we received these AFTER the court claim, but unfortunately, I didn't hold on to the envelopes to confirm this.

Another thing is that we haven't received a copy of the agreement, the termination notice, any statements or the deed of assignment; which I did ask for with my CPR 31.14 request.

If anyone can help me with getting a defence in today I would be extremely grateful, Thanks & regards, JnH