What do I do?

doompixie

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4472 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. Wasn't sure where to put this, so I hope here is okay.

This is kind of odd, and I'm not really sure what I should do next?

I rented a flat and was there 2 or 3 months before the landlord got very nasty (after weeks of harrassment) and attacked me in my flat. there were legal issues and I had a solicitor sorting it out, but being in somewhat of a fragile state at the time after agreements were made to settle I lost contact with my solicitor and couldn't really handle dealing with it all.

Now over a year later my parents are recieving mail addressed to me - only in the wrong name completely (my nickname spelt completely wrong, and my last name is spelt wrong) from things like british gas, an electric company (forget which one at the moment) and the council etc threatening legal action. I don't get my mail from them much and I havn't lived there for 2 or 3 years :/

While I'm happy to take responsibility for bills whilst I was living there, I was not informed my name was being given to any of these companies and these bills are for hundreds of pounds. the gas bill alone is £394.99 and it didn't even work most of the time I was there :Cry:

Can anyone advise what I should do next?

I'm no expert on these things, but I would write to the utility companies involved, give the exact dates that you were living in the flat, and then ask them to send detailed bills only for the time that you were there. The utility companies might actually play ball. So it's probably, I think, worth giving them a chance first.

What might be complicated is if there were no meter readings taken when you arrived and/or when you left.

How did they track you down or rather your parents; are you living with them?

Are the bills from the utilities direct or from a DCA?

What was the terms of the flat rental, all in including bills or did you have to advise the utilities that you were taking it on! I would not be too hasty to put your hands up because once you do you may find yourself being chased for all sorts even the amounts long after you left.

might help with a bit more info.

Thanks for the replies.

I believe these letters are coming from dcas, but would have to double check.

I've just come back to find a letter of seizure of goods for council tax from that address :eek:

I will have to call them in the morning - I do not live at my parents address but found these letters as I've been feeding the cat while they're away.

I don't know how they even got this address, I have not been here for over 2 years and it wasn't used as a correspondence address during the legal proceedings. a lot of my stuff was lost at that flat as I was threatened & harrassed pretty much whenever I went near there and even before I stopped turning up I'd come home to find the door unlocked when I know I locked it. not to mention he frequently stole my mail. so probably it came up from going through it :x

The flat rental was not including bills, but I was told I would be given information with the contract about which companies etc (had no idea how to find out for myself, and had never dealt with bills directly before). the contract didn't actually materialise till I was on the verge of leaving quite early on, did not include this information and was never signed. I also had flatmates at the beginning of the tenancy that were dealing directly with the landlord and covering 50% but they disappeared suddenly. with all the craziness going on I hadn't really thought about it :-( it was a very messy situation.

I've been speaking to the council re council tax, and aparently the landlord has told them I was there till december, when I moved may :eek:

This is going to be an interesting mess to sort out. they were quite helpful and said they could see that I moved in may as I was claiming benefits from the new house, but to see if I could find some proof and get it in to them.

I'm not sure where my documents from there are at the moment. can i write and request benefit details from the time period?

It sounds like the landlord has broken all sorts of rules here. I would report him to the relevant council department. He is not allowed to enter your flat without prior arrangement and he is CERTAINLY breaking the law by stealing your post. You should be able to get the relevant proof from the benefits agencey. This will also prove that the landlord is providing false information in relation to council tax which i belive is another offence.

GO GET HIM!!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.