• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HSBC Claim - Error in my claim??

PHayes
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have tried to read as many posts as I can, but I am now a little worried.

Having read the details of the website, I have sent my 1st letter, which received a reply stating that they would look into my claim. However, the 14 days elapsed and so I sent the 2nd letter.

Some 6 days letter I received a reply saying that the bank do not agree that the charges are disproportionate. They also state the "The unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 do not apply to business customers as they are not consumers for the purposes of those regulations. :(

They also state that if I wish to escalate my concerns to the next stage that I should now write to the Customer Relations Department in Leeds.

The account that I am trying to re-claim excessive charges for was when I was self-employed as a Sole Trader. When I log onto the internet bank I have to use the Personal Internet Banking section and NOT the Business one.

I am now very concerned that I have jeopardised my chances of claiming against the bank.

Has anyone made the same mistake? Anyone got any useful information?

Thanks to all that have supplied information on the Consumer Action Group web-site. It has been an eye-opener!!!

Cap One - 16/08 Prelim £20.00

- 30/08 LBA

Barclays - 16/08 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

- 21/08 Letter returning cheque - complimentary statements to follow. No charge.

HSBC - 19/07 Prelim £2237.39 - No reply

- 03/08 LBA

- 09/08 Reply stating business not personal acct

- 14/08 2nd LBA - correct business one this time

- 22/08 Final refusal from HSBC. MCOL to follow soon!! Roll on pay day

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there are instructions for bus users but not sure where so dont worry check thru all the threads someone else did a similar thing and i have seen a thread lrading to the correct place for you

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

I knew I had seen one on here somewhare (amazing when you find everything but the one thing youre looking for isnt it) here is the link took me ages to find it so i hope it helps.

;)

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

Many thanks for the info.

Do I need to re-submit the claim to HSBC with the wording for business customers, and start the who;e process again. To be honest, knowing my luck they will defend the claim and I will lose out!!

- 30/08 LBA

- 21/08 Letter returning cheque - complimentary statements to follow. No charge.

- 03/08 LBA

Unfortunately, the letter was the LBA one.

It seems that they have replied to the LBA stating that "The unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 do not apply to business customers ........etc, etc and that they are unable to agree to my request.

Should I resend the LBA with the correct business letter or should I just go ahead with the court claim. The incorrect LBA letter was dated 3rd August to which they replied and denied my claim.

Thanks for the replies so far. It does make you feel a little less isolated.

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

send it again at least it will look like you gave them extra time

;)

Thanks for the support and replies.

I will send the correct LBA today. Should I give them another 14 days?

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

yep shows the court you have given the bank every oppotunity to sort this out

;)

I hear what you say, but giving them another 14 days to either ignore or refuse my claim is galling. Howabout 7 days as they have already been given the 14 day LBA, to which they refused to play ball and pointed out my mistake!

I was also asked to take a £3000 managed loan to repay the bank. Can I include this in the claim or is it a separate matter? What can I include if it is possible?

Thanks again to both Karnevil & Rdm2006 for their posts so far.

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

ok 1 is your choice like you say you have already given them notice

2 you can claim for the interest charged on your managed loan but only on the part which covers charges

;)

Thanks for the considered advice. :)

Should I put a separate claim for the Managed Loan, as I have already sent the prelim letter and am about to send the 2nd LBA to HSBC.

I don't want to confuse them ;)

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

Again your choice You can add a paragraph to the LBA saying that you are adding this to the claim or do it seperately - As long as it does not exceed the £5000 small claims limit.

;)

I think I will detail it as a separate claim, as I don't want to hold up my current one.

It will take me a little while to ascertain how the managed loan was made up, and to be truthful after splitting up from my wife of 20 years earlier this year I can't afford to wait as the bills are piling up!

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

• 2 weeks later...

Ah well. Just receievd a reply to my 2nd LBA, stating that they are sorry that I felt it necessary to write again on the matter.They say their position has not changed and they procedded to re-iterate the policy once again.

Final sign off says that they know this will not be the response that I had hoped for (damned right) and this letter should clarifys the banks position.

If not satisfied .......... refer complaint to the Financial Ombudsman as this represents are final response on the matter. They obviously mean business, but so do I!!!

Has anyone written to the Ombudsman as a matter of interest, and how did it go?

Now looks as though they want to pay me £2979.84 inclusive of 8% interest. Will now have to wait till pay day next week to file MCOL claim.

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's pay day today. Just about to complete MCOL claim, but I have a few questions: -

As I traded as a sole trader my HSBC account was held as "my full name T/A my company name". Common sense says that I should file the claim as an organisation but I don't want to have the claim rejected if I need to submit it as an individual. More to the point I don't want to spend another £120 unnecessarily.

When completing the bank address should I use the local bank address, which is where I initially sent my correspondence or should I use sunny Leeds, which is now infamous due to this site and my LBA.

BTW. Did anyone listen to the radio program on Saturday - I think it was Moneybox, about this rip off?

Finally, I read some more info on the Which site, but I'm now feeling decidedly nervous about this whole thing, as they seemed to intimate that as a serial offender with charges of approx £2100 the court will look on my claim less favourably. Now beginning to think that I should n't have looked at this site as well as this magnificant one.

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

It's been some time since I saw the MoneyClaim forms - If there is a space for both, put both, otherwise just your name.

Head Office for Bank address.

The Which? website has no basis for saying that, since a court has never had the chance to review a case (so therefore there can be no evidence to suggest it). Best to avoid that site unless you really want mis-information to cloud the issues.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Well Jonni2bad thanks for the very prompt response. The MCOL online form only allows one option only, either individual or organisation.

Arlington Business Park it is then for the 2nd point.

Fair point about the other site though.

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

Well it's taken a fair few hours to contain all the info on the MCOL claim form. I want to add the following text, as I'm technically a business (sole trader) can I, therefore still include "They are also invalid under the Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 s.4. In the event that the charges are not a penalty they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15." as I want to include a legal bit within the text.

It is quite difficult to write sufficient detail within 24 lines!

And finally, I wanted to clarify the daily interest charge as the amount claimed without interest multiplied by 0.00022

Hopefully that's the last question for a while.

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

Whilst trying to complete the MCOL form I wasn't sure about including the line "that I had attached spreadsheet detailing the charges relating to the claim" as I could n't see how to attach one.

I contacted the Money Claim Helpline, who said there was no way to attach anything to the claim, but I could include a statement stating that details were available if required. I also learnt that it's ok just to layout the text in a solid paragraph rather than trying to make it look pretty and wasting valuable lines and characters.

I hope that helps someone else.

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

Well today is D Day. I have finally actioned my MCOL form and have obtained the claim number. However, I am a little nervous as I had no reply to my previous post. Therefore, I just included Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982 s.15. and didn't include the bit about Unfair Contract Terms Act.

I really hope that this is correct for a sole trader as well!!!!!

Fingers & toes firmly crossed.

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

Thanks Karnevil. I've only just got back in. How I hate Mondays!

Here are the details, hopefully correct as the MCOL form has been sent early this morning, and it's probably too late, but here goes: -

"Claimant has account XXXXXXXX with Defendant from 2000 conducted on standard terms and conditions. Claimant is claiming the return of £2237.39 taken in charges over 6 yrs. The Defendant's charges are a disproportionate

penalty and unenforceable as they are contrary to common law and contrary to statute. List of the charges applied is available to substantiate the claim.The charges debited are punitive in nature;are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred; but instead unduly enrich the Defendant in respect of such charges with a view to profit. In the event that the charges are not a penalty they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. Defendant has declined justification of charges despite repeated requests. Claimant claims interest under Sec. 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% a year from 21st Sept.2000 to 4th Sept. 2006 of £746.88 and also interest at same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £0.49."

My major concern is that I will be treated as a business even though a Sole Trader and the legal bits might be different.

Thanks once again for your input.

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

Have checked the MCOL web site, and as I haven't had a response to my earlier post I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed.!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to the details the claim has been acknowledged yesterday (7th Sept). What's the timescales involved now. Hope & prey that I've not put anything in there that will cause the claim to be thrown out. Does it mean that they will be defending? Oh I'm so confused.

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

Having checked, my claim was acknowledged on the MCOL site dated 07/09/06. According to the site they have a further 28 days to respond. It does seem a protracted drawn out process, and with my luck it will be on the 28th day that I receive notification that they will be defending the claim in court.

Reading through some of the posts it really seems pot luck as to how quickly HSBC respond. Can't quite get my head around the different timings. Surely it should be fairly standard!

Roll on the 5th October. Fingers crossed.

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA

Thanks Michael. It's been a long day, and I'm being a little thick. Do you mean 28 days from filing the MCOl claim?

Sorry if it seems basic, but not had a good day today (yesterday)!

- 30/08 LBA

- 03/08 LBA