Gatso speeding ticket from France

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5356 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When I went touring on my motorcycle last year, the french police were in the port stopping cars which had apparently triggered gatsos and issuing them with fines.

Impossible surely a GATSO uses film and by the time they had checked the camera you would be at home drinking your duty free.

If you triggered a camera on a saturday and returned the following saturday it would not be impossible at all, i saw it with my own eyes. We were speaking to one of the unfortunate motorists so I know what was happening.

And besides, a lot of these things are filmless cameras which work through an adsl broardband line through to their computers so its virtually instantanious.

You could trigger a camera on the way to the port, and they would have the information before you got there.

Edited by Startkey&Clutch

If you triggered a camera on a saturday and returned the following saturday it would not be impossible at all, i saw it with my own eyes. We were speaking to one of the unfortunate motorists so I know what was happening.

And besides, a lot of these things are filmless cameras which work through an adsl broardband line through to their computers so its virtually instantanious.

You could trigger a camera on the way to the port, and they would have the information before you got there.

Equally with ANPR technology it would not be difficult for the French to upload 'offending' car indexes into their system and have them read and checked going through the port.

I know Kent traffic officers have worked in France in and around Calais with French officers dealing with speeders.

Equally with ANPR technology it would not be difficult for the French to upload 'offending' car indexes into their system and have them read and checked going through the port.

I know Kent traffic officers have worked in France in and around Calais with French officers dealing with speeders.

This is true. I have pulled up at the port and been greeted as Mr. ?????? and when I asked how he said my No. plate trigered my booking details on screen, so the police might have links to the ferry companies and so would know the expected return time.

This is true. I have pulled up at the port and been greeted as Mr. ?????? and when I asked how he said my No. plate trigered my booking details on screen, so the police might have links to the ferry companies and so would know the expected return time.

Thats possible, but I suspect its too much effort to go to for a speeding offence. Its more likely that you would trigger a french camera and the gendarmerie will do the business.

Question is, I'm not sure how you go about finding out if you triggered a gatso and how you pay it.

I think you are getting a bit carried away with the whole big brother thing.

I think you are getting a bit carried away with the whole big brother thing.

Maybe, but its all possible with modern systems. There are defiantly low level cameras at the check in booths on Norfolk Line. Too low for passenger identification.

Maybe, but its all possible with modern systems. There are defiantly low level cameras at the check in booths on Norfolk Line. Too low for passenger identification.

I don't dispute they probably read the VRMs of vehicles boarding and alighting but then giving your travel plans to the Police so they can be at the port to issue you with a fine after your holiday is not really realistic. I'm not sure how the French legal system works but surely it must be similar to the UK one and the driver is liable for traffic penalties.

I don't dispute they probably read the VRMs of vehicles boarding and alighting but then giving your travel plans to the Police so they can be at the port to issue you with a fine after your holiday is not really realistic. I'm not sure how the French legal system works but surely it must be similar to the UK one and the driver is liable for traffic penalties.

Yes I think that is probably a bit OTT even for the Police on a speeding ticket, but never say never!!

I think the police were at the port anyway and there to cross check VRMs against there records, so if youre at the port and you are on their system they issue you with a fine. They dont get a picture through and contact the port to see when youre going to be there.

I dont believe they went there specifically to apprehend just one or two motorists either.

But make no mistake, they were pulling people out of the queue, and issuing tickets.

At present they cannot issue a fine once you are back home, but they are considering that if you get ticketed within the EU, that the fine can be issued when youre at home and you will get points for any penaltys issued within the EU. Thats probably a Brussels idea!

Edited by Startkey&Clutch

I think the police were at the port anyway and there to cross check VRMs against there records, so if youre at the port and you are on their system they issue you with a fine. They dont get a picture through and contact the port to see when youre going to be there.

I dont believe they went there specifically to apprehend just one or two motorists either.

But make no mistake, they were pulling people out of the queue, and issuing tickets.

At present they cannot issue a fine once you are back home, but they are considering that if you get ticketed within the EU, that the fine can be issued when youre at home and you will get points for any penaltys issued within the EU. Thats probably a Brussels idea!

Whats happens though if you plead not guilty?