• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HELP - what are my rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4859 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would be very grateful of any help regarding my rights, as I want to complain about the horrible holiday I am on at the moment. I am on holiday at butlins and sat in the internet cafe.

We originally had booked two seperate rooms, under the same name and definately wanted to be together.

i have a disabled daughter and my 70 year old mum is also with us, so it was important to be next door, I telephone the customer services 3 weeks before our arrival date to check that we were together and was informed that we were (if not we were prepared to change dates to make this possible).

On arrival we were miles away, they tried to change us to be a little bit nearer but it was still far away and not suitable.

So in the end we had to accept a three bedroom apartment (one double and two twins) rather than two seperate rooms, this meant us all sharing a bathroom, and me and my partner sleeping in twin beds rather than a double, which is not what we had 'bought', we had bought a holiday with two private rooms one double room with bathroom and the other a double and a twin with bathroom. So we view this as a 'downgrade' we asked if we could be upgraded to the higher standard of meals as a way of compensation, but were told it wasn't possible. the only compensation they could offer was £40 in butlins vouchers (which works out at about

£6.55 each)

It has completely ruined the holiday and nobody is comfortable and the mood is very low.

Does anyone know if we have any rights to complain? I have heard that butlins company complaints procedure is a complete waste of time, and judging by the stooges here at the guest services, who have lied to us, it is easy to believe.

Thanks for any help.

Hi superstarjan,

I am sorry to here your having such a terrible time on your hols. Of course you have a right to complain but firstly take it up with the staff were you are staying, if they do not resolve your issue satisfactorily then contact there head office customer service (phone number in link below). If that fails there is always trading standards.

Butlins - FAQs

Good Luck

Red Rebel

Come on the mighty reds!!!!!!

Lloyds TSB - Success - 14/7/07

Lloyds TSB - Pending -

Halifax - Pending -

Tip my scales if I have been of assistance :D

I would be very grateful of any help regarding my rights, as I want to complain about the horrible holiday I am on at the moment. I am on holiday at butlins and sat in the internet cafe.

We originally had booked two seperate rooms, under the same name and definately wanted to be together.

i have a disabled daughter and my 70 year old mum is also with us, so it was important to be next door, I telephone the customer services 3 weeks before our arrival date to check that we were together and was informed that we were (if not we were prepared to change dates to make this possible).

On arrival we were miles away, they tried to change us to be a little bit nearer but it was still far away and not suitable.

So in the end we had to accept a three bedroom apartment (one double and two twins) rather than two seperate rooms, this meant us all sharing a bathroom, and me and my partner sleeping in twin beds rather than a double, which is not what we had 'bought', we had bought a holiday with two private rooms one double room with bathroom and the other a double and a twin with bathroom. So we view this as a 'downgrade' we asked if we could be upgraded to the higher standard of meals as a way of compensation, but were told it wasn't possible. the only compensation they could offer was £40 in butlins vouchers (which works out at about

£6.55 each)

It has completely ruined the holiday and nobody is comfortable and the mood is very low.

Does anyone know if we have any rights to complain? I have heard that butlins company complaints procedure is a complete waste of time, and judging by the stooges here at the guest services, who have lied to us, it is easy to believe.

Thanks for any help.

Sounds absolutly terrible how they have treated you, make sure you exaust the companies complaints procedure, the process is a waste of time, ive experienced it first hand, but you never know they may listen and compensate you accordingly.

They failed to respond satisfactory to my concerns, whilst i was on resort and writing afterwards, ive now submitted a claim at the Small Claims Court, the amount im claiming for is very low, but it is principal, the more people that stand up to this company they will have to change.

When you attend at the Guest Services ask them for a copy of the guest report form that they should fill in, this confirms that you have complained on resort, if you still remain unsatisfied ive got the email contacts for all the managers, executives etc, not that they listen but you never know.

Hope you get things sorted, keep us informed.

The retailers worst nightmare !

All I would say, in my experience, the screamer never gets the help and support that the patient do. What I mean is, these people that deal with the concerns and complaints are just like you and me. Normal people, and if you express your worries and concerns (and complaints) in a polite and official manner, they are more likely to resolve your issues, rather than what most of us would like to do. Which is start screaming and "kicking off".

Hope it works out for you

Sounds absolutly terrible how they have treated you, make sure you exaust the companies complaints procedure, the process is a waste of time, ive experienced it first hand, but you never know they may listen and compensate you accordingly.

They failed to respond satisfactory to my concerns, whilst i was on resort and writing afterwards, ive now submitted a claim at the Small Claims Court, the amount im claiming for is very low, but it is principal, the more people that stand up to this company they will have to change.

When you attend at the Guest Services ask them for a copy of the guest report form that they should fill in, this confirms that you have complained on resort, if you still remain unsatisfied ive got the email contacts for all the managers, executives etc, not that they listen but you never know.

Hope you get things sorted, keep us informed.

Thanks Big Boss Man, unfortunately I didn't read your post until after I arrived home, so I didn't ask for a copy of the guest report. I will telephone them tomorrow and ask them to send me a copy.

Do you know if i can request that they send all details that they hold on me, including telephone calls etc. as I did to the banks under the consumer act?

Thanks Big Boss Man, unfortunately I didn't read your post until after I arrived home, so I didn't ask for a copy of the guest report. I will telephone them tomorrow and ask them to send me a copy.

Do you know if i can request that they send all details that they hold on me, including telephone calls etc. as I did to the banks under the consumer act?

You can request all the details this company holds on you, under the Data Protection Act, you can request a Subect Access Request, this will carry a £10 charge, unfortunatley ive had experince requesting personal infomation from this company with numerous problems, but your well within your rights to request the info !

Hope all the problems never spoilt your holiday to much.

Thanks, unfortunately, it did ruin the holiday............we have been twice before and had a fabulous times, but this one was mither from checking in until checking out!

Shall I send everything in writing and not talk to them on the phone as is the procedure with the banks? I was thinking of putting an email together today, which person in your opinion is the best to address it to? or maybe I will phone head office.

Thanks, unfortunately, it did ruin the holiday............we have been twice before and had a fabulous times, but this one was mither from checking in until checking out!

Shall I send everything in writing and not talk to them on the phone as is the procedure with the banks? I was thinking of putting an email together today, which person in your opinion is the best to address it to? or maybe I will phone head office.

I would not reccomend calling the company, as this is harder to prove in terms of whats been said etc, start by emailing the resort director, with a full account of whats happend, try and stay calm and be realistic in what your asking for, he will most probally fob you off ! if your not happy with his response email the head of butlins, again if your not happy, email the head of bourne leisure who over sees, butlins, haven etc.

Ill PM you the email contacts of whos who, hope you manage to resolve the problems you have experinced, it really is awfull how they continue to treat people.

Keep us informed.

Putting all this down in writing is taking longer than I thought, I'm up to the third page now. I am hoping to finish it today and send it off.

I also took photos whilst there of the grotty apartment, but I'm in two minds about sending them off just yet. I was hoping to get your opinion BBM as you have already been at 'my' stage, do you think it would be wise to leave them until a later date or get everything off at once?

Putting all this down in writing is taking longer than I thought, I'm up to the third page now. I am hoping to finish it today and send it off.

I also took photos whilst there of the grotty apartment, but I'm in two minds about sending them off just yet. I was hoping to get your opinion BBM as you have already been at 'my' stage, do you think it would be wise to leave them until a later date or get everything off at once?

Sorry about the delay in responding, ive just come back from a short break, not to Butlins you will be glad to hear !

Speaking from my own experence with this company i would withhold sending them the photographic evidence at first, state in your letter that you have this and may provide this at a later stage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Hiya, sorry for late reply, I've not been online for ages.

Yes, I have heard from skegness saying "No chance" to the request for compensation. I plan to write to butlins director now.

Keep up the pressure, just hope you have more joy with the director, if that fails try the head of Bourne Lesuire.

My complaint is still progressing through the courts, shouldnt be too long now !

Keep us informed.

• 1 month later...

update -

I have heard from butlins director, who also says 'no chnace' to any form of compensation. I plan to try one last time with the head of bourne lesiure and if that fails, I will go through the small courts for sure.

So far I have realised that they really are a very rude and uncaring bunch of people at butlins, so I'm not expecting too much joy with the head tbh.

They have also failed to send me any details that they hold on me under the Data Protection Act.

update -

I have heard from butlins director, who also says 'no chnace' to any form of compensation. I plan to try one last time with the head of bourne lesiure and if that fails, I will go through the small courts for sure.

So far I have realised that they really are a very rude and uncaring bunch of people at butlins, so I'm not expecting too much joy with the head tbh.

They have also failed to send me any details that they hold on me under the Data Protection Act.

Thanks for the update - sorry to hear about the continued problems, your exactley right about them been rude etc.

With regard to the SAR request, they also failed to provide me with the information i requested within the stated timescales, it took in excess of 60 days for a reply and then it was not complete when received.

My small claim is still progressing through the courts, the company has now failed to pay there counter claim fee and is due to be struck out any time now, think its just a ploy so i give up .. no chance though, i am in for a long and bumpy ride with this one !

Hope things progress for you, keep us informed.

• 1 month later...
Still waiting for a reply from the head of bourne leisure, looks like I shall be heading to court with this one!

How are you getting along Big Boss?

Sorry to hear your matter has not been sorted out to date, Do not hold your breath on there reply.

I am currently progressing through the small claims court, had a few court errors that have delayed matters, but now progressing finally, i will post a full update ASAP, should make interesting reading and possibly help others !

Still keep up the pressure on this company, youll get there in the end.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jan,

Please post an exact breakdown of everything that has gone on - from day 1 - including dates you booked the holiday, how much, how this was paid for, full itinerary, locations and copies of communication to and from butlins - removing any confidential details.

I will then try to look through it and make recommendations.

Regards,

legalpickle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

• 1 month later...

Thanks Legalpickle, and sorry to take so long getting back to you, I've had a few health issues recently.

I've tried to put together a summary for you to read over and I will prepare all the copies of communication and booking forms for you and post them asap.

Sorry it's so long, I tried to keep it as short as poss, but get all info in.........

I telephoned Butlins once we had decided to book this holiday to arrange ground floor accommodation as two members of our party are registered disabled and one is an OAP. I paid £20 via debit card for ground floor accommodation which we were told was refundable on resort when we produce our Blue Badges. During this telephone conversation I asked the operator to check that our rooms were definitely next door to each other. The operator booked the two rooms there and then whilst I was on the telephone and confirmed that they were next door. If it was not possible to have the rooms next door, we would have either re-arranged the accommodation details and/or dates, as it was of utmost importance to us due to disabilities, age and behaviour problems that we were together.

At check in, we were informed that despite our group booking (made under one reference number), that our rooms were not next door to each other as we had been informed by telephone but in fact on opposite sides of ‘Starfish Quay’. We told her that this was incorrect and were then sent to a waiting room, after half an hour of waiting around and speaking to a member of staff, we were told that it was not possible for us to be next door because we had booked two separate types of rooms, (one, two bedroom room and one, one bedroom room). From a previous holiday (where we were next door) I know that all the rooms have interlocking doors so that a party can be accommodated in various numbers. So, if this has suddenly changed, why wasn’t we told on the telephone call? If we knew then that we couldn’t be next door, we would’ve paid a little extra to have two, two bedroom rooms.

After approx 45 mins discussing, we were informed that there was no possibility of us receiving the accommodation which we had booked and paid for and said that the only option available was to change our booking and put us in an apartment, which meant two separate families sharing one accommodation.

We contemplated driving the 4 hour journey back home and asking for a refund, but we simply couldn’t disappoint the children.

I asked to speak to the manager, but she wasn’t available. We took the keys to the apartment, (which in our eyes we had been downgraded to, but in their eyes we had been upgraded to) and went to have a look at it knowing that we would be speaking to the manager later that day.

When we arrived at the apartment, the housekeeper was still cleaning it and we had to wait for her to finish. There was inadequate disabled car parking space near the apartment and we had to park in a very small parking space.

On inspection of the apartment, we noticed that there was only one bathroom for all six guests to share, this also meant that there were ‘privacy issues’ as two separate families now had to share the one bathroom, despite our original booking being for two bathrooms. One bathroom was clearly not suitable for two disabled people, one OAP, a further adult and two children, one with behaviour problems.

On further inspection we noticed that the bathroom was absolutely disgusting, there were hairs in the shower from the previous guests, a lot of mould and pink grease both in the shower cubicle and on the cubicle door, there was mould on the fixings and also on the outside of the shower cubicle, mould was also growing under and around the grouting and silicone, there was dirt and grime on the door handle and dirt and grime on the floor where it had clearly not been cleaned for months. Photos were taken of these disgusting conditions.

The shower head did not work properly and sprayed out in both a horizontal and vertical manner and as a result when turned on, the bathroom floor was flooded. A comfortable shower without getting hair wet was impossible. These points were reported to the housekeeper, who made a note and said he would deal with them. Nothing however was done whilst we were still on resort.

On inspection of the 3 bedrooms we noticed that there was only one double room and two twin rooms both twin rooms had children’s beds (not normal adult size single beds). Our original booking was for two double beds and two twin beds. This arrangement meant that a disabled adult had to sleep in a child’s single bed despite booking and paying for a double. This led to lack of sleep and health deterioration. Extra pillows were ordered from the housekeeping office but we never received them.

The carpet throughout the apartment was filthy with ground-in dirt and one part had been burnt with an iron.

The sofas in the front room were so dirty and grubby that we couldn’t sit on them.

There was a kitchen and lounge in the apartment, (which are not in the rooms, from our original booking), but as we were not on a self catering holiday we had no reason to use the kitchen and the lounge was simply too filthy to use anyway.

Our original holiday booking included housekeeping service, which was not included in the apartment, this meant we had to use our own towels as a bathmat and buy our own toilet rolls.

We went to guest services to speak face to face with the manager, we were put into a very tiny side room that had no windows which we could see out of and the manager stood up whilst we were all sat down and had a very intimidating and arrogant manner.

We spent approximately 40 minutes in this room, explaining what had happened to the manager. She claimed to be the resort manager for Skegness and when asked, she informed us that it was ultimately her decision if we were to get any compensation or not.

After discussing the downgraded apartment, and airing all our concerns and complaints it was clear that we could get no further in this room as the manager was simply repeating herself over and over and we all felt like our time was being wasted going round in circles, therefore I asked her for the telephone number of head office to proceed directly with them in this complaint. The manager then took approximately a further 10 minutes to get a compliment slip with the telephone number of head office.

After the complaint was made, I informed the manager that I will need a copy of all the information held by Butlins and would call back into guest services in the next few days to pick it up. When I returned she was told that I would have to request such information in writing from head office. (I have done so, but to date have received nothing).

Approximately 2.5 to 3 hours of our first day was wasted on making this complaint.

To make things worse, the diner where we had been allocated for our meals was very crowded and noisy, we each had to queue for over 10 minutes to be served with breakfast or our evening meal and the crockery and cutlery were always dirty. On the first day there was an infestation of ants around the drinks machine. This was reported to a member of staff and we were later informed that the area had been sprayed, although ants were seen there every day.

We were on holiday at Butlins for 7 days but we were only given tickets for the diner for 4 days, Friday to Monday.

The service at all the food and drink outlets was terrible, there was unnecessary queuing due to staff slowness and the coffee served in the coffee, was always cold and substandard.

A very small percentage of staff on resort were willing to engage in any kind of conversation or assist a guest in any enquiries they may have in a helpful and polite manner. Mostly this seemed due to a lack of concern by the staff in question to the guest’s requirements or comfort.

The glasses, cutlery and crockery at the pub, the coffee house and all other food outlets were always dirty. More often than not, the seating and tables were also dirty and whenever a member of staff was asked to clean it, they would take away the litter and then have to be asked again to wipe down the table. On one occasion there was vomit on the seats in the coffee shop.

HOLIDAY SUMMARY

From day one of this holiday, the mood was very low, the children were constantly upset and there were many arguments between them. We strongly believe that this was due to the lack of privacy and the uncomfortable living arrangements which we had been subjected to.

All six of the guests in our party feel that this was the worst holiday we had ever been on, and it is certainly a first where the children have actually been happy to be going home.

Our children were cheering when we arrived at the gates only to have their dreams of a fun filled holiday (as promised to them in the adverts and the DVD they had constantly watched which was sent to us by Butlins) taken away from them by this booking mistake. This holiday had cost around £2,500 and we spent over £1,000 whilst there and we had spent all year saving for it.

We were all moody and irritable on the way home, but glad to actually be leaving the holiday from hell behind!

When we arrived home, I sent a letter of complaint via email to the head of Skegness resort, which had to be re-sent as he didn’t receive the first one. He said that there was nothing he could do, so I sent another letter to the head of Butlins, who also said there was nothing he could do, so I sent a further email (which had to be resent, because he didn’t receive it) to the head of Bourne Leisure, who also said that there was nothing he could do.

I was also told that as I wasn’t the lead booker that I couldn’t make a complaint myself, it had to be through the lead booker only.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

since october 2010, I've been incredibly ill and not had any chance to act on this.

Does anyone know if there is a time limit with which I can make this claim?

I really would like to get a move on now, i feel ready to fight again !!