Shoplifting

Guest pinky1234
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that as you returned to the shop to actually pay, that would go in your favour, most criminals that come in to where i work dont come back to pay...

And as for getting caught shoplifting when you were 13...it will have no effect on whatever happens now.

Also, you wont go to prison for this.

I am not an expert, but for a crime to have been committed, doesn't there have to be intent to commit the crime as well as the act?

If you were returning to the shop to pay for the goods then, clearly, there was no intent was there?

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

Please help me im going out of my mind, i have been accused of shop lifting in M&S, basically cutting a long story short i walked out of the store with some items on my pram by accident totaling £21 worth. Ten mins later i remember they were on there and went back to the store to pay and when i was walking to a till point the police stopped me and took me into a room and said i was under arrest etc, as they had proof on CCTV that i was trying to hide the items. Now it is going to court and im petrified about what is going to happen to me, i have 2 young children and im scared that i will go to prision or something, im so scared does anyone have any ideas as to what is likely to happen?

Also when i was 13 i got in with the wrong crowd and got caught shop lifting with them, will this go againist me as well? Im now 31 years old.

To be quilty of theft they have to prove that you intended to deprive the store of those goods intentionally. That clearly isn't the case if you returned to pay for them after you realised the mistake and had the funds available.

Have you been shown the CCTV? How old was the child you had with you and is that your youngest?

It's very easy to get distracted when shopping with little 'uns and I can honestly say I've walked out of shops holding items that I haven't paid for and I didn't even realise. But I did take them back. I've also walked out not noticing that my toddler had taken a shine to several items in Mothercare.

You will not be going to prison. You'll go in front of the Magistrates who will ask you to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty and only you know the answer to that bit although you should be entitled to free legal representation who can advise you.

Your previous history shouldn't come into it. If the worst comes to the worst it may be either a fine, community service or both but if it was a genuine mistake and all your circumstances are considered there should be no case to answer to. When is the court date?

Guest pinky1234

But according to the police, i was trying to hide the items and it doesnt matter that i went back to the store to pay or not!!

Hi Pinky,

I agree with Alphageek. There was clearly no intent here.

You wouldn't be sent to prison for £21 even if you had shoplifted.

It's very easy to be distracted. Some years ago I had parked my car in a shopping centre. When I returned an hour later there was an armed robbery going on and my car was behind the ribbons blocking the road off. I went into a cafe, ordered a coffee, offered to pay but was told the bill would be brought to the table. I wanted my car back, I was going away for the weekend, and that was all I was thinking about. I drank the coffee, forgot about the bill, walked out, and only remembered I hadn't paid when I was halfway home on the bus - the car was still stuck. I went back to the cafe in the morning, apologized profusely, paid obviously, and they said they hadn't even noticed.

On another occasion I put a small candlelight tray (£1.25) in the basket under my pushchair because my basket was full and only found them the next day and called Ikea and wanted to pay over the phone and they said I couldn't! I was totally embarrassed, but mums with babies, prams, pushchairs (and people whose car is stuck in an armed robbery!!!) do this sort of thing. I have never knowingly taken anything from anywhere in my entire life, but those two occasions have shown me how easily it is for an honest person to be distracted.

You were going back to the store. The CCTV will show this. Please don't worry.

DDxx

Guest pinky1234

Yes i have been shown the CCTV, my children that i had with me were 21 months and 1 week old at the time!!

I have got a solicitor but as he wasnt there for the 1st police interview he wants to get the date agernd so he has time to listen to the tape.

Oh course i am not guilty it was a genuine mistake, my little one was only a week old at the time, my head was all over the place, i was tired, had so many things going on in my mind of what i needed to do get etc....

The court date is this week, im so scared its making me ill. I really dont know what to expect and i want this over and done with now so i can move on, its been going on since March time.

Pinky, remember this is a criminal case and for them to secure a conviction, they need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you intended to steal.

Quite how they're going to do that when you were returning to the store to pay for the goods is beyond me.

Go and have a glass of wine and relax. I can't see there is a case to answer.

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

Truly I would be astonished if any magistrate would not take into consideration that you were more than likely in a total daze with a newborn baby, lack of sleep, and everything else that goes with a new baby, let alone a toddler too. A friend of mine with a new baby said she was in such a state of shock she wore the same dress inside out for three days without noticing. :)

I cannot believe that M&S or the police have taken this further in these circumstances.

Big hug,

DD

Guest pinky1234

But they are trying to say that i was hiding the items on my pram, as i hung 2 baby grows behind a bag (i didnt even think i just hung them there, and also put some tights in the hood of my pram). The police are saying the only reason i returned to the store is because i saw the security guards following me (clearly i didnt).

They must have something on me, because surely it wouldnt be going to court otherwise for £21?

I so scared and angry its gonna end up costing me at least £500 plus!!

Guest pinky1234

Apparently i was hiding them behind some carrier bags i had on my pram, because i moved them there when we had some lunch in there cafe, i dont know why i did it, i was just putting them together and happened to hang them there, i wasnt trying to hide them, also i had some baby tights that i put in the hood of my pram, again i only put them there while i was shopping as i had no spare hands to push the pram.

But because i paid for some items and left those items on there to show my husband they believe i was trying to steal them

That's why I asked the ages of your children Pinky! Your solicitor will put all of this forward. You gave birth a week before, had the money to pay, returned to the shop and don't make a habit of shoplifting...who is going to lock you up for that let alone secure a conviction?

Guest pinky1234

I know but i have never been in trouble before, im so scared about having to go to court. I havent told anyone about this only my husband knows that was with me at the time.

I really dont want a criminal record especially as i want to take the children to America....I just cant help feeling like this, i know you think im mad x

I don't think you are mad..just scared and rightly so if it's all new to you AND after having a baby. I can only give an opinion on what you say and that's that you shouldn't end up with a criminal record but only the magistrates on the day will decide that but you should be able to appeal the outcome if it does go against you.