private owner caravan complaints.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5347 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Firstly please excuse me if I have posted this in the wrong section, but the holiday bit appeared just to be about holiday companies, of which we are not, we own a static caravan that we rent out, we have had loads of good comments from our guests (and not one bad comment ever in the past 5 years), some of which have stayed with us on more than one occasion, however recently we had a family stay with us, who complained about the smell ,, not from our caravan but from the drains outside on the site, they said that the smell had affected their holiday, with them being sick and bad stomach upsets, they did not complain about the caravan, but about the smell. On them making this complaint I looked further and found that just before their holiday began, the sewerage plant that is over 10 miles away had a problem and shut down for a few days, a matter that was in the newspapers near the area where our caravan is sited, the family stated that they were worried for their childrens health due to this smell that caused them to be sick and have bad stomachs, but decided to stay the whole week so that the children were not upset, and not complain while they were there, Can I really be held responsible for a bad smell? I really am unsure what to do next.:idea:

Hi,

Firstly please excuse me if I have posted this in the wrong section, we own a static caravan that we rent out, we have had loads of good comments from our guests (and not one bad comment ever in the past 5 years), some of which have stayed with us on more than one occasion, however recently we had a family stay with us, who complained about the smell ,, not from our caravan but from the drains outside on the site, they said that the smell had affected their holiday, with them being sick and bad stomach upsets, they did not complain about the caravan, but about the smell. On them making this complaint I looked further and found that just before their holiday began, the sewerage plant that is over 10 miles away had a problem and shut down for a few days, a matter that was in the newspapers near the area where our caravan is sited, the family stated that they were worried for their childrens health due to this smell that caused them to be sick and have bad stomachs, but decided to stay the whole week so that the children were not upset, and not complain while they were there, Can I really be held responsible for a bad smell? I really am unsure what to do next.:idea:

My guess is they are after compensation. If they were really badly effected by the smell they would not have stayed the full week.

I would point out you cannot be responsible for smells outside the caravan, in the same way you are not responsible if it rained all week.

Express sympathy and give them the telephone number of the local water company who look after the sewerage plant, and say that is all you can do.

Hi wesleyt43,

I have to sympathise with the family but you have no control over smell from another source so I cannot in a million years see how you can be held responsible and tell them the same.

Red Rebel

Come on the mighty reds!!!!!!

Lloyds TSB - Success - 14/7/07

Lloyds TSB - Pending -

Halifax - Pending -

Tip my scales if I have been of assistance :D

Hi,

thanks, have rang our site owner, and they have told me that no complaints were made during their stay either, surely a bad smell woulndy cause sickness and upset stomachs either, I will get back in touch with them and offer some advice, Thanks for your reply:)

Hi, thanks for that, I do sympathise with them also, but I dont see how they cannot see the smell was not my fault, its just a bad thing that happened during that time that caused the smell, Thanks for responding:)

surely a bad smell woulndy cause sickness and upset stomachs either

Some people, mainly young children, can be sick when confronted by strong smells. I do not know what it is called but my young nephew suffers.

Saying that, this case is not your fault as it is out of your controll.

John

Hi, thank you for your response, its our first complaint and to be honest I got worried, but then again if the problem was my fault, then it would be the same as customers complaining if it rained for their stay.

Agrree with all the comments - there was nothing you could do. If you feel they have genuinely been inconvenienced you could make a offer to give them an off-peak week in compensation for the disappointment they suffered, stating your offer is in the spirit of goodwill and in no way an admission you were responsible (a photocopy of the local press story would help too).

It was just one of those things, regrettable, but you wouldn't be liable if the power was out for 4 days, this was only a smell. A can of Airwick would have masked it.

Actually, I remember staying at a Campsite at Billing Aquadrome, outside Northampton. The stench of raw sewage was repulsive. We complained, only to be told it was from the nearby sewage farm, when temp and winds conspire, it really gets unpleasant. It was explained as a matter-of-fact, if we didnb;t like it, we could go!

These people still seem to think on the lines of old medical beliefs, where it was thought that diseases were carried by bad smells. :lol:

Whilst it is true that a strong smell could cause one to gag and even feel sick, it can't actually cause gastroenteritis, which seems to be what they're actually complaining about.

I have to agree with everyone else, you have no power over something like that and whilst it is regrettable they didn't have the greatest of times, they did manage to stay all week, so it can't have been THAT bad. ;-)

Passing on the contact nos of the local water/sewage company and politely suggesting they send their concerns to them is a good idea. ;-)

You cannot be held responsible for events that occur outside your control, we rent out our caravan and if I were you I would use your descretion with this person, but there is certainly no legal basis for you to have to refund any monies.

Actually, I remember staying at a Campsite at Billing Aquadrome, outside Northampton. The stench of raw sewage was repulsive. We complained, only to be told it was from the nearby sewage farm, when temp and winds conspire, it really gets unpleasant. It was explained as a matter-of-fact, if we didnb;t like it, we could go!

I live in the country, most of the time surrounded by lush pasture, grazing cows, skippy lambs etc. - a picture of an English idyll...

BUT when the farmers muck-spread life becomes distinctly unpleasantly smelly, at least for a few days. However I still live here & it is no worse than the petrol fumes of the inner city where many more people live & do daily business.

I think your guests are just after compensation & need to get a life!

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Hi, I have passed this on to my daughter who has attempted to deal with it the best she can, the Mrs is in hospital after her op, yet after receiving abusive e-mails and threats my wifes friend who works in the same Solicitors office as the Mrs has joined, and took over, not as a legal threat, just to offer them legal advice, basically had they complained during their stay to someone , or sought medical help for the peple who were being sick they may of had a claim against the water company but not us, still we will not be refunding anyone, if there had been a problem with the caravan itself then that would have been different, but the only complaint was about the smell,