Cyclone/cater claimform - old egg debt - statute barred debt ***WON***

yubnub
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5195 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have been reading the boards and have taken in much sound advice regaring some of my debts that I beleive are statute barred.

I have today receive a letter from bryan carter and co solicitors acting on behalf of cyclone asset management, regarding a debt with egg.

The letter states that they are going to start proceedings through the courts to reclaim the moneys.

On the same day I have also received a "claim form" that has been filled in from Northampton county court.

By my calculations I have not made any payments in relation to this debt nor discussed this in writing in the last 6 years.

as a result I beleive that this debt is statute barred and therefore they can not take this matter through the courts (or anywhere)

I notice that this "account" appears nowhere on my credit file anymore.

My questions are :

1) is this debt statute barred?

2) If the debt is statute barred do I still need to fill in the court papers

3) do I write to the court or the solictors (or both) to advise them I beleive this debt is statute barred?

many thanks for all the advice i have already learned and in advance of any replies to this post,

Edited by yubnub
added info regarding cyclone asset management

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Sadly I am not near to the bits of paperwork that have the exact dates on them.

I do know that the last payment i made would have been early (march? i think) 2003,

seeing as 6 years have passed I understand it that this debt is not able to be put thorugh the courts,

what I am more unsure of is who i write to stating this.

Do I return the court paperwork disputing the debt due to the 6 years or write directly to the people trying to take me to court and tell them, or perhaps both?

many thanks for the advice and input,

Some more info from the claim form in case it is relevent :

Particulars of claim :

The claimants claim is for the balance due under an agreement which is now all due and payable

The deffendant aggreed to pay monthly instalments under account number xxxxxxxx but has failed to do so.

Ant the claimant claims the sum of £xxxxxx

The claimant also claims interest thereon pursuant to S.69 county court act 1984 limited to one year to the date hearof at the rate of 8% per annum amounting to £xxxxx

Hi,

many thanks for the input,

Can you provide a direct link to the template - i looked in the template section but can not appear to see it.

Is it best to hold off acknowledging the claim until nearer the end of the 14 day period?

Do I send the Statute Barred (template) letter to mr carter straight away

Do I need to do a CPR 31.14 Request

I guess I also use this as the defense when I need to submit the defense to the court.

is it likely that they will pull the claim against me before I need to submit a defense once they realise the debt is barred?

many thanks again

Edited by yubnub
cpr 31.14 added

many thanks again,

I have copied and ammended the template for the Statute Barr

I have also found (on here) a template for the CPR request

On the Particulars of claim it does not mention any other documents so i deleted the other 4 lines - i assume this is correct.

section of template below

------------------------------------------------------------------

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 the agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 the assignment*

3 the default notice*

4 the termination notice*

5 [any other documents mentioned in the Particulars of Claim]*

* delete if not mentioned in the Particulars of claim.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I/shall I send these to in together (same envelope) or is it best to send them seperate (recorded of course)

Also shall I fill in the AOS now - or string it out to nearer the end of the time frames given,

many thanks again

Thanks for PM me, i'm delighted to help...You are correct, this is shocking behaviour, they are hoping to play a fast one on you and that you will shrivel up under a rock unaware of your rights and they will get judgment by default...DEFEND ALL of the claim....and when they withdraw after seeing your defence you can hit them with a wasted costs order....please read this - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/162456-help-statute-barred-debt.html

Make sure you acknowledge the claim from within 14 days of the date on the claim form, then DEFEND all and submit your defence.....

In the words of Surfaceagentx20 (with thanks to)

You are entitled to be cocksure.

CLAIM NO.

1 The Claimant's claim was issued on (date).

2 The Claimant contends that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 6 years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant.

3 The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £x or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.

I BELIEVE THAT THE CONTENTS OF THIS DEFENCE ARE TRUE.

Signed:

Dated:

Hi,

Many thanks for your input 42man,

However the plot (sadly) thickens,

I am now with my copies of paperwork that detail my last payments, and these were later than I thought - 17th september 2003 to be exact.

As the claim has been filed with the court does that mean they have done enough to get in within the 6 years?

or is the important date any court date itself (which is likely to be after the 17th sept) by the time I have acknowledged and submitted defense?

many thanks again,

OK in that case then....continue with the CPR, have they tried to take you to court for the whole debt or only part of it ? (this is quite common with BC).....and the particulars give no cause of action and are vague.....I presume no account numbers, no default mentioned.....

Hi,

The claim is for all of the ammount (certainly not just their fee!)

It does have the account number mentioned on it,

Cyclone are mentioned at the top of the claim with carter as solicitors

The POC are as follows

The claimants claim is for the balance due under an agreement which is now all due and payable

The deffendant aggreed to pay monthly instalments under account number xxxxxxxx but has failed to do so.

And the claimant claims the sum of £xxxxxx

thanks again

It might be worth as a good measure not only to send CPR31.14 but this too -

In the XXXX County Court

Claimant -v- (YOUR NAME)

Claim Number: (CLAIM NUMBER)

Dear XXX

CPR 18 - REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

I have received a recent court claim from your organisation. In order to file a defence and counter claim I require some information. Given that this matter is now the subject of legal proceedings, you are obliged to disclose under the Civil Procedure Rules, the information and documents detailed below.

The information must be furnished within fourteen days of the receipt of this letter. If you fail to comply, this will be reported to the Court, a copy of this letter will be provided as evidence to the same and an Order enforcing your compliance will be sought.

1. A true copy of the executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of default and at the time the account was opened. True copies of any notice of assignment and/or default notice or enforcement notice that you or the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

1.1 If copies of any of the above documents are to be relied on in court rather than originals, a copy of the Notice of proposal to adduce hearsay evidence required under s2(1) of the Civil Evidence Act 1995 together with proof of the authenticity of the document(s) as required under s8(1)(b) of the Act, including but not limited to:

(a) a copy of the procedure(s) used for copying, storing and retrieving documents

(b) a copy of the relevant log entry showing the time and date of the scan or copy, the name of the member of staff making the copy, the method used for copying, storage and retrieval and time and date of destruction of the original document(s)

© copies of internal and external audit reports covering the entire period from the date of the copy to the present to demonstrate that the procedures have been complied with

(d) copies of Quality Assurance accreditation certificates covering the entire period from the date of the copy to the present to demonstrate that the procedure(s) and audit process(es) comply with the appropriate quality standards

2. All records you hold on me relevant to this case, including but not limited to:

a. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor

b. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with *********.(AMEND TO THE COMPANY NAME)

c. .Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).

d. Details of any collection charge added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

e. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

f. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

g. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

h. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement.

3. Any other documents you seek to rely on in court.

I will require this information within the next fourteen days. I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, it will be reported to the Court that you are trying to frustrate proceedings and denying me the opportunity to file a defence and counter claim.

Yours sincerely,

XXXX (type, don't sign).

I am assuming they are a DCA - though not entirly sure,

So for now I send off the 2 request for information letters to carters.

Do I send off the AOS, or do I hold off on that?

thanks again

I think through Northampton you can do it online......and yes send both off recorded....if you do want to defend all then state that, but it might be too early to submit a defence, see how they respond to the CPR's....(if they do !!)

OK in that case then....continue with the CPR, have they tried to take you to court for the whole debt or only part of it ? (this is quite common with BC).....and the particulars give no cause of action and are vague.....I presume no account numbers, no default mentioned.....

Again many thanks 42man for your help and input today

I have taken a look through the links you have posted.

Back home now so can clarify a bit more :

the word default is definately not mentioned or refered to in the POC

Am I correct in thinking the main defence against this claim is that they (carters) will not or can not provide all of the documentation that they need to? - hence the CPR requests

Or

The wording on the claim itself

or indeed both of the above,

many thanks again

Both....!! you've seen some examples of defences in the links above, just have a good read through, I doubt they will respond to your CPR....and then when allocation questionnaire comes through, you can then request a draft order for ALL the paperwork.....my feeling is that Carters will not be up for the fight !!

Hi,

Small update,

I have now filed online the AOS (done on the 25th aug)

I have also sent off both the CPR31.14 and CPR 18 requests - these were both delivered on the 26th - I have the proof of delivery.

Just also wanted to check my dates :

I calculate that my defense needs to be submitted before the 22nd sept at the latest?

The CPR 31.14 gives them 7 days from receipt - therefore this expires on 2nd Sept (or do i allow extra for the Bank holls)

The CPR 18 gives them 14 days - therefore the 8th (like wise does the bank holl count)

Would be grateful if someone could confirm my dates and what I need to have ready if they fail to respond to the requests?

many thanks