Redundancy Advice - unfair??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work for a very small private company that has been struggling financially for a while during the recession. About 4 months ago the directors called a meeting to advise of the difficulties on a more formal level and to advise that they would have to look at cost savings such as salary cuts, etc. They did say 'we have no plans for redundancies at this point'. We were asked to go away and think about any ways we could to save money and told another meeting would be held shortly to discuss our ideas. This second meeting never happened.

About a month later a member of staff was made redundant. There had been no notice to us as a group advising that redundancies may be necessary and whilst it was hard to argue with the logic of the redundancy it still came as a shock.

Next thing that happened is that outside ‘business consultants’ were brought in to try to reorganise and save the company. It has been obvious that these people now pull the strings and make the important decisions.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I was called to a meeting with the directors to advise that due to the continued downturn in business, they considered that my job was no longer required and that it was their intention to make me redundant, Whilst its hard to argue that I have a lot less to do than I did say a year ago, the fact is that all employees are in the same boat. Again, the workforce as a whole had not been advised in advance that redundancies were on the agenda. It came from nowhere.

I have been put on ‘gardening leave’ for a week and have to attend a ‘consultation’ next week although the directors actually said to me ‘we don’t expect anything to happen to change the decision’. That’s not consultation, that’s a done-deal. Done and dusted. Plus they kept saying how the ‘business consultants’ had been hassling them to cut overheads and had identified my position as the one to go. It seems to be totally subjective with no analysis of other workers workloads carried out.

Anyway, my question isn’t whether my job is or isn’t ‘no longer a full time position’ but whether correct procedures have been followed. In fact its probably a fair assumption that the company can do without my role in all honesty. But thats not the point. No advanced warning was given to staff of possible redundancies and whilst its hard to argue that my job is a lot less than it was a year ago, the decision seems completely subjective and based on perceptions rather than facts.

Do I have a case for unfair dismissal? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

you do have a right to be consulted look at this link Employee information and consultation rights : Directgov - Employment

Andy

But that only seems to give advice for larger companies and where 20+ redundancies are planned. Mine is a small family run business & it will only ever be the odd singel redundancy here & there (i am guessing there will be more as the saving from me going is minimal in relation to their debts).