Car Insurance & NCB - Help anyone!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For the past 23 mths I have spent a lot of time abroad so I haven't retained a vehicle in the UK, however, I am looking to move back permanently asap.

The problem is, most insurance companies seem to "take away" your NCB if you have not had your own insurance for 2 years. I think this is bang out of order as I have Maximum NCB built up over a number of years and I do not want to lose it. I thought of buying a cheap motor when I was last in the Uk but unfortunately had nowhere to store it, so chances are it would have been stolen anyway.

1. Does anyone know of any companies who do not apply the 2 year rule?

2. A company who will accept me being a "named driver" currently on a relatives insurance policy.

3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

if you call to explain that you have not been in the UK etc this should suffice,all directline,RBS underwritten ask for ncd dated not more than 2 years.

All companys will add you as a named driver if your meet the underwriting criteria. If you are not a permanent resident of the UK you will probably have to go on as a temp driver.

Vusys1, thanks for your reply, didn't quite understand the bit below.

"All companys will add you as a named driver if your meet the underwriting criteria. If you are not a permanent resident of the UK you will probably have to go on as a temp driver."

I am already a "named driver" on two policies, what I am trying to find out is will I be able to get my own insurance after 2 yrs and keep my NCB?

I still have a contact address in the UK, a bank acct etc and still pay taxes, I have not declared myself as a "non resident" because I have been in the UK for a few months at a time.

Are there any companies who will let me keep my NCB, perhaps based on the fact I am a "named driver" now?

Also, I have insurance on a vehicle abroad, don't suppose for one minute that be be of any use to the UK companies. It does seem a bit unfare that anyone can build up a maximum NCB over several years and then have it simply declared as "null and void" simply because i haven't owned a car for two years.

Any companies or any other suggestions anyone please.

One of my friends is a retired underwriter who tells me that the reasoning behind this is straightforward.

I you insure a car year on year, there's a reasonable chance that you are actually driving. Its not foolproof, but it is a good indicator. As such you will maintain/improve your driving skills and provided there's no recorded incidents against your name, they (the insurers) have a basis to rate your risk level.

If you do not have insurance (eg because you leave the country), they cannot be sure that you are maintaining your skill and experience levels and therefore you are potentially a higher risk than someone who drives every day in UK.

There's an even more confusing line taken with company car drivers who can often drive more than the average number of miles each year, but who don't have car insurance in their own name. There are companies who will accept a letter from their employer to provide a no claims discount, but it varies hugely between insurers.

He cited the example of an HGV driver who went to Belgium to work for a well known haulage contractor and drove on the continent for 18 months. On his first day back on UK roads, he crossed a dual carriageway and turned left instead of right. It was a momentary lapse and no one was injured but the police put it down to driving on the right for so long.

I myself remember having issues with car insurance whilst in the Royal Navy. At that time very few companies would insure sailors as we were presumed to live at sea and therefore wouldn't be used to traffic, in fact I was based in Plymouth dockyard and commuted daily from Cornwall! thankfully things have now changed.

I suggest visiting a good insurance broker who I am sure will be able to assist you. Insurance is a based on general principles but fine tuned for personal situations so there will be someone able to accept your NCB once they understand your driving history.

I have a highly modified car that most high street insurers wouldn't even quote for, but I didn't have too much difficulty getting insurance through a broker. I don't think yours is a case for Alexandre (compare the meerkat) as he wasn't able to help me either!

Thanks, very interesting. I can see the logic behind it but I am a "named driver" on 2 policies so I am obviously driving. So far as the insurance companies know, it could be I simply can't afford to buy my own car but do actually drive everyday.

I will have to shop around and hope I can find a company who will use common sense and reason, unfortunately something not easily found today.

Its a fair enough point, but the insurers would probably assume that the main driver would cover more miles than a named driver. There's no definitive way the insurers could know how often you were driving, if at all, and that's where their problems arise.

I'm still sure a good broker will be able to assist you. As I said before, its all about perceived risk and the smaller companies tend to be keener to do business and can afford to be more flexible.

Good hunting!