Jump to content

Advice on deposit please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,


I am fairly new to this situation now. I have recently moved out of a 3 bedroom house & landlord is refusing to pay back my deposit claiming that she needs to repair the sink, because of which there was a leak & she is holding my deposit back because according to her this leak was not reported. She also says that there are numerous pan burns on the woodwork in kitchen, which she says she needs redoing.


We had inventory handed over in the begining of our tenancy and a check out report recently. The check out report does not say anything about sink. it does say about water being collected in front of washing machine, which was not working properly and was reported long ago, and it was never replaced or repaired. The agents did inspection on several occasions and it has been documented in their report about our complaints regarding the washing machine that it collects water and is not completeing the cycle. I am very sure the pan burns on the wood work was not caused by us, as i used granite top over the work top. However, this is not mentioned in the initial inventory and i did not bother to go around the house with the landlord and check each and everything in the inventory.


Do i have any stand of say here?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that if its not in the inventory, then the LL cant claim for it.


My advice is to go through the TDS proceedures and start the process to get your deposit back. They provide an arbitration service (which I am told favours tenants). Its not up to the LL to make decisions on what amounts they can and cant deduct. It's your money until you agree to hand it over, or until the court (or arbitration service) orders you to.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...