MBNA CC Problems

snoopyfeet
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband has an MBNA credit card that he can no longer afford to pay. I wrote to them to try and make an arrangement to pay at a reduced rate. So far I have only had a reply asking him to phone them, which of course he won't do. (Everything in writing) My questions are :-

1. Last year they switched his card from an AOL card to a MBNA Platinum Plus Rewards card. He did not ask them to do this and on top of this they used this opportunity to hike his interest rate up to 34.5%, a fact I didn't know until about a month ago. They have given him a new account number so I'm assuming this a completely new account. He has never signed a new credit agreement on this account and I am not even sure if there is a valid CA on the old account. Could this mean that they can't enforce this debt, and how should I proceed.

2. I have read that you should not apply for a CCA using the Consumer Credit Act 1974, is this correct.

I am new to these forums and this is my first question so if this is a bit long I apologise. Both my husband and I are very worried and are trying to sort out his debts. If there is someone on these forums that can help me and give me some advice, I would be so grateful. He is 2 months behind with his payments and he has had embarrassing phone calls at his workplace. They are bullies.

It's always worthwhile requesting a CCA first, it leaves a nice paper-trail which could be of use at a later date. ;)

First send them a CCA request to see if they are entitled to collect this debt & if it's enforcable. If they fail to provide it within 12+2 days or the CCA is unenforcable you can legally withold any payment until they do. Send it recorded delivery enclosing a £1 postal order. When you get a reply, scan it & remove any identifying details and post it back here where we can have a look at it. We'll advise you from there;

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:- Account No: XXXXXXXX/Your Reference Number: XXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR). I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

Furthermore, with regards to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

You are reminded of the following under Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

Trading Standards can bring about a prosecution if, with the object of coercing another person to pay money claimed from the other as a debt due under contract, he or she:

(a) harasses the other with demands for payment which by their frequency, or the manner or occasion of their making, or any accompanying threat or publicity are calculated to subject him or his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation;

(b) falsely represents, in relation to the money claimed, that criminal proceedings lie for failure to pay it;

© falsely represent themselves to be authorized in some official capacity to claim or enforce payment;

(d) utters a document falsely represented by him to have some official character or purporting to have some official character which he knows it has not.

I am of the view that your harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Further to this if it is your intention to arrange a call from your 'Doorstep Collectors', I note that there is only an implied license under English Common Law for certain people to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.).

Take note, I revoke license under English Common Law for you, or any of your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so without my permission, you will then be liable to damages for a tort of trespass. You would also be conspiring in a trespass if you sent someone to visit me nevertheless. Any trespassers you attempt to send therefore will be dealt with accordingly.Be further advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

(Optional addition)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully **Edit to suit**

(Print do not sign signature)

Hello and Welcome, snoopyfeet.

I'll move this thread to the MBNA Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Ok open two letters last night after husband gets home. One says cut up crdit cards and return through post, this one dated same day as phone letter. 2nd one dated day after says pay £xxx or account may be outsourced to a third party agency, quite frankly thinking knock yourself out. Question, if credit card debt goes to DCA does interest stop?

• 1 month later...

Have received this back from MBNA. Did not know how to post these on site so it has taken some time to post them. Hope that these are clear enough. I notice that the agreement is a credit agreement and not a credit card agreement, also they have tried to make it look like the conditions are on the back of it by printing on both sides of the sheet, however it is not quite lined up. Would be grateful for any comments as to enforceablity. We have received several letters threatening various actions including a visit and an attachment to our house, so need to know what letters to send in response. Also suspect have been missold PPI which I will be looking into. Really need some help here.

Docu0002.rtf

Docu0003.rtf

Docu0004.rtf

Ok open two letters last night after husband gets home. One says cut up crdit cards and return through post, this one dated same day as phone letter. 2nd one dated day after says pay £xxx or account may be outsourced to a third party agency, quite frankly thinking knock yourself out. Question, if credit card debt goes to DCA does interest stop?

Cut up the cards by all means,shred them if you can. However, please DO NOT return them to the Credit Card Company.:)

The document you have been provided with is similar to many others on the forums.

I would suggest you look at the following threads

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/199523-restons-mbna-issued-court-51.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/160395-restons-court-action.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dca-legal-successes/162249-mbna-cca-agreement-help-61.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/175074-mbna-let-battle-commence.html

You can also do a search for MBNA and read many other threads. These will let you know what you can expect, suggest letters to be written.

Here is a template letter that could be sent.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/582-possible-letter-when-a-questionable-agreementapplication-is-sent

HTH

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have received this back from MBNA. Did not know how to post these on site so it has taken some time to post them. Hope that these are clear enough. I notice that the agreement is a credit agreement and not a credit card agreement, also they have tried to make it look like the conditions are on the back of it by printing on both sides of the sheet, however it is not quite lined up. Would be grateful for any comments as to enforceablity. We have received several letters threatening various actions including a visit and an attachment to our house, so need to know what letters to send in response. Also suspect have been missold PPI which I will be looking into. Really need some help here.

Please note that none of the actions you have been threatened with can happen until such times as the company has taken you to court. You are a long way off that yet.

There are procedures that a Creditor needs to follow before legal action can be taken and it would appear that this hasnt happened yet.

On what grounds do you suspect a mis sold PPI. This could cast doubt on the agreement or give you a counterclaim argument.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thankyou for your posts. The reason that I think the PPI was missold is that my husband had 2 pre-existing medical conditions which is why he took out the PPI. Now I understand that he would never have been covered for these, and he was not told this. He cancelled the PPI about a year ago, but as he has had the credit card since 2001 he has been paying it for about seven years.

Thanks 42man, how should I proceed. I have been reading the posts on this site and I am sure that my husbands so called CCA is not correct. Should I handle the PPI and the CCA seperately or together and how on earth do I work out how much PPI has been paid and the interest on it. Would a SAR help.

Yes I had a good look and it would seem as if my husbands CCA does not conform to all the regulations. As they have sent him this should I put a letter in with the SAR putting his account formally in dispute to avoid further interest and charges.

Meant to say that the so called CCA says credit agreement and not credit card agreement. And also it does not contain a credit limit. Looks to me if this is something that they have on microfiche and not the original.

Meant to say that the so called CCA says credit agreement and not credit card agreement. And also it does not contain a credit limit. Looks to me if this is something that they have on microfiche and not the original.

sounds like a typical botched job by MBNA :rolleyes:

You need to send the Subject Access Request as advised by 42man. You need all the statements from inception of the account in order to work out how much PPI you have paid.

There are spread sheets available on the site and we have one or two experts in respect of PPI reclaiming.. so you will get plenty of help and advice. :D

BCOBS

Hi Snoopyfeet, like you I have paperwork with "CREDIT AGREEMENT" as opposed to credit card agreement so will also be interested to hear if this has any relevance. It doesn't appear to be a prescribed term but may still be important. Hopefully someone will let us know. Good luck in the meantime.