Housing Benefit Underpayment Query

topcat77

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was awarded £90 per week HB for my house last month and my rent is due today from my bank.

HB have paid me £321 as they say it's because they have deducted £39 for an overpayment made to me for a property in 2007. I know nothing of this and I was never even informed that they were going to take this money this month.

My rent is £435 per month and I saved the £75 to add to the £360 I was supposed to be getting and now I have to underpay my landlord.

Can HB do this as surely it is a separate issue and should have informed me via a bill or something and not taken it from what I owe my current landlord?

I am sure that they would have contacted you ( or tried to contact you ) at the time of the overpayment.

Contact your local HB office and request a breakdown of the payments from that time and a detailed explanation of the overpayment

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Well it wouldn't actually be me that was overpaid when I think about it as my rent was paid direct to my landlord as I was with a housing association then and not private. Surely it should be paid back from them???

Will ask for the detailed account of it tomorrow but don't have a clue what it is. I only ever paid a £30 per month shortfall at my last property.