heating grants

DanAronG

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm in the correct foru but here seemed most appropriate.

I have just bought a new house, but there is only one radiator in the whole place (its a night storage heater in the living room, but a 3 bed house).

My income is approx £17k & my partner is on Statutary maternity pay as we have a baby due in a month or so.

Are there any grants available to help to get heating in installed in our house? I believe there are some available if you are on JSA or other benefits, but not sure if he will tick the right boxes. It seems, from what I have read, that I need to earn 16k or less to be eligable. Is this correct? Maybe I should ask my boss for a £1k pa pay cut, I am sure he will oblige.

Any advice will be appreciated, as although the lack of heating is fine now, I am worried that once the winter begins, it could be a real struggle to heat the place and with a new born baby this really concerns me.

Thanks for reading

Dan

Do you mean the warm front grant? If so, here is the information: Do you qualify for a Grant

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm in the correct foru but here seemed most appropriate.

I have just bought a new house, but there is only one radiator in the whole place (its a night storage heater in the living room, but a 3 bed house).

My income is approx £17k & my partner is on Statutary maternity pay as we have a baby due in a month or so.

Are there any grants available to help to get heating in installed in our house? I believe there are some available if you are on JSA or other benefits, but not sure if he will tick the right boxes. It seems, from what I have read, that I need to earn 16k or less to be eligable. Is this correct? Maybe I should ask my boss for a £1k pa pay cut, I am sure he will oblige.

Any advice will be appreciated, as although the lack of heating is fine now, I am worried that once the winter begins, it could be a real struggle to heat the place and with a new born baby this really concerns me.

Thanks for reading

Dan

Im on JSA but seems I wouldnt qualify under the warm front scheme, IU dont think the 16K limit has anything to do with it, maybe you are thinking of the savings limit which can effect all sorts of benefits if you have savings over 16k.

Andy

Do you mean the warm front grant? If so, here is the information: Do you qualify for a Grant

That's the one I've seen, but I just miss out on each of the qualifying routes. Unless you have any ideas for that one?

Or are there any other similiar schemes that I may qualify for?

Im on JSA but seems I wouldnt qualify under the warm front scheme, IU dont think the 16K limit has anything to do with it, maybe you are thinking of the savings limit which can effect all sorts of benefits if you have savings over 16k.

Andy

Here is the ways to qualify for the scheme:

Applicants meeting the following criteria may be eligible for the Warm Front Scheme.

1. Householders aged 60 or over in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

• Income Support
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income-based)
  • Pension Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

2. Householders with a child under 16, or pregnant women with maternity certificate MAT-B1, in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

• Income Support
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit

3. Householders in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

• Working Tax Credit (with an income of less than £16,040, which must include a disability element)
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit (with an income of less than £16,040)
  • Housing Benefit (which must include a disability premium)
  • Income Support (which must include a disability premium)
  • Council Tax Benefit (which must include a disability premium)
  • War Disablement Pension (which must include a mobility supplement or Constant Attendance Allowance)
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (which must include Constant Attendance Allowance)
  • Attendance Allowance

Here is the ways to qualify for the scheme:

Applicants meeting the following criteria may be eligible for the Warm Front Scheme.

1. Householders aged 60 or over in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

• Income Support
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit

2. Householders with a child under 16, or pregnant women with maternity certificate MAT-B1, in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

• Income Support
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit

3. Householders in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

• Working Tax Credit (with an income of less than £16,040, which must include a disability element)
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit (with an income of less than £16,040)
  • Housing Benefit (which must include a disability premium)
  • Income Support (which must include a disability premium)
  • Council Tax Benefit (which must include a disability premium)
  • War Disablement Pension (which must include a mobility supplement or Constant Attendance Allowance)
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (which must include Constant Attendance Allowance)
  • Attendance Allowance

Which would seem to disallow a very large majority even if they claim JSA and are virtually penniless.

Andy

I'm on jsa, and my daughter stays with me every other weekend for 2-3 days, more in the holidays, but I'm classed as having no dependants, as she's officially with her mum. So, basically, I'm a single man on JSA.

I applied to the warm front grant and was entitled to FREE energy savings lightbulbs. That's it. I asked the girl on the phone if they give off much heat, cos I may have to turn em on all at once in the room to heat the place up!

Because i'm not on any disability premium, don't have dependants living with me, even though I do, and the CSA know this as well, your average unemployed person has, apparently, no need for heating.

I was lucky enough to have a landlord who cares (a rare breed!) and got me double glazing and central heating, but for the thousands out there who will struggle to keep warm this winter, in this day and age, is shocking.

Section 2 seems a bit more flexible, or section 3 if you have kids and earn less than 16k. But it is quite exclusive.

Is anyone else aware of any other heating grants or similar out there?

My mum had some insulation put in free not sure under which scheme this was though.

I'm on jsa, and my daughter stays with me every other weekend for 2-3 days, more in the holidays, but I'm classed as having no dependants, as she's officially with her mum. So, basically, I'm a single man on JSA.

I applied to the warm front grant and was entitled to FREE energy savings lightbulbs. That's it. I asked the girl on the phone if they give off much heat, cos I may have to turn em on all at once in the room to heat the place up!

Because i'm not on any disability premium, don't have dependants living with me, even though I do, and the CSA know this as well, your average unemployed person has, apparently, no need for heating.

They would rather we drop dead in the winter to save on benefit payments :)

I was lucky enough to have a landlord who cares (a rare breed!) and got me double glazing and central heating, but for the thousands out there who will struggle to keep warm this winter, in this day and age, is shocking.

Wahoo..free bulbs !..I got some too from my leccy supplier, dont fit my rather wierd SES lights though but I did get a rather cool wifi leccy meter thingy which shows how much you are using and the average over the day/week/month and the cost, its usefull to see how much power things are using and what you can turn off to save money.

Andy