• Tweets

• they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
    • Please provide advice on the following situation: I rented out my property to four students for 16 months until March 2024. Initially, the property was in very good condition, but now it needs extensive renovation. This includes redoing the bathroom, replacing the kitchen, removing wallpaper, and redecorating due to significant mould growth. The tenants also left their furniture on the grass, which is owned by the local authority. As a landlord, I've met all legal requirements. It seems the damage was caused by poor ventilation—windows were always closed, and heating wasn't used. There was also a bathroom leak fixed by reapplying silicone. I tried to claim insurance, but it was denied, citing tenant behaviour as the cause by looking at the photos, which isn't covered. The deposit barely covers the repair costs, or else I'll have to pursue money claims, which I've never done before and am unsure about its legal complications or costs. Any thoughts on this?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Landlord being a pain!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5333 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I'm looking for a little help and advice. Our landlord seems to be avoiding us. We only have an email address to contact him on as when we took the house it was dealt with through a letting agency. They have since left the picture and we deal directly with him now.

When we first moved in, we sent an email to the letting agents telling them things that needed sorting (the garden was a mess, garage and shed full of junk left from previous tenant, rubbish tip at back of shed etc) and they just passed this to him. Now we have been in over a year now and nothing has been sorted. The washing machine provided for us sounds like the ball bearings are going and this has been passed to him also. We have told him that we have a machine we can replace it with but we need someone to do it as it would mean removing units and we don't want to be liable for any damage caused.

We have also contacted him about the annual gas safety check. Provided in the house is a gas fire - gas central heating and a gas cook top. When we moved in we weren't given a copy of the last check but we assumed this was because the letting agents forgot to give us it. We have emailed him twice over the past two months asking when this will be done as its a legal requirement but we've heard nothing back.

The only time he came out and sorted something was when we got squirrels in the attic, he paid for rentokil to come out and left a sonar alarm up there running off OUR electic bill. Rentokil came out, caught one and then the others ran off because of the alarm.

We have since turned this off as we're not paying for it anymore and he hasn't sent anyone out to fix the hole they were getting in.

Can we withhold the rent until it's sorted? We pay £725 each month and he's not doing what is needed.

Thanks

7th

Witholding rent is never advisable and could end up with the landlord taking action against you for rent arrears.

One thing you can do is to put in writing what needs to be done with a deadline stating that if the work is not carried out you will get it done yourself and reclaiming the costs of the work from the rent. You would need to get quotes for the work and send copies to the landlord before the work was undertaken. Shelter have some good information on what you would legally need to do.

You can also contact the local Council for help either the Environmental Health Department or Housing Advice Team. They should be able to provide advice on the situation and can contact the landlord on your behalf and even take legal action against the landlord.

I am sure I have read on the forum that your landlord has to give you their address even if they have a Letting Agency involved.

I've had a look through the huge contract that we have and have found a PO box address for him. I've also fired off another email stating that if he hasn't been in touch within 5 working days we will seek legal advice.

It's the gas check thats the main problem - I have an 8 year child and after already losing 1 child this year, I'm not about to risk losing this one.

Do you think if we sent him quotes for this we would then be within our rights to deduct it from the rent?

I don't want to lose the roof over our heads but the only time I've ever spoken to him face to face was when we had squirrels in the attic and surprise surprise he was out the same day to do something about it so it didn't damage his property. Feel like telling him they're back just to get him out!!!

That gas safety check definitely needs to be done. I've never had to go down the route of paying for a repair myself so not really sure of what you need to do. Take a look at the Shelter website or give them a call if you need to do this.

If he does not get the check done or does not give you a copy then he is not meeting the Government's health and safety requirements. I have attached a sample letter they suggest sending to landlords who are not complying. If you still have no luck then you can contact your local HSE office and they should be able to intervene on your behalf. www.hse.gov.uk/contact/maps/index.htm It is amazing how many landlords don't do things because they have no idea of what their responsibilities are so this letter may help.

If you make a fuss there is always the chance that he may end the tenancy but he needs to go through the appropriate process for your tenancy. Although if he is going to be like that you would be better off somewhere else as you will have a continuing problem with him not wanting to meet his responsibilities. He cannot hound you out of the property or just change the locks, etc.

checkreq.rtf

I've had a look through the huge contract that we have and have found a PO box address for him. I've also fired off another email stating that if he hasn't been in touch within 5 working days we will seek legal advice.

Is the PO box in the UK? It is a legal requirement that you should be provided with an address in UK for the serving of notices (this does not have to be LL's own address, can be LA).

It's the gas check thats the main problem - I have an 8 year child and after already losing 1 child this year, I'm not about to risk losing this one.

Sorry to hear of your loss. This must all be very difficult for you.

This is a VERY serious matter. Email your LL and say that unless he arranges for the gas safety check to be carried out within the next [7] days, you will contact the authorities and he will be liable for a very heavy fine and even imprisonment. The authorities take a very serious view of tenant safety particularly in relation to gas appliances.

If he doesn't respond, arrange for this to be done by a qualified gas engineer. (The requirement is no longer CORGI, but membership of the GAS SAFE REGISTER). Deduct the cost from your next rental payment. Email LL and say that as a matter of urgency, you have arranged for this to be done and deducted the cost from your rent

I don't want to lose the roof over our heads but the only time I've ever spoken to him face to face was when we had squirrels in the attic and surprise surprise he was out the same day to do something about it so it didn't damage his property. Feel like telling him they're back just to get him out!!!

I would suggest you write to him at the PO Box address and re-state all that you have put in your emails.

List the outstanding repairs and maintenance required and tell him that since he has ignored repeated requests for these to be dealt with unless the repairs are carried out with the next [14 days] you will obtain 3 quotes for said repairs and choosing the cheapest, have them carried out and deduct the costs from your next rental payment. (You can include the correct fitting of your washing machine in this.)

Let us know if he comes out of the woodwork!

And to Aviva, It is amazing how many landlords don't do things because they have no idea of what their responsibilities are so this letter may help. If a person lets a property and thus becomes a landlord, they should make sure they know what the law is regarding the process and not just see it as a cash machine.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice