phone call today about a credit card debt last payment 1999

mrtikle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just after some advice, I have read a number of threads and have become more confused.

I had a phone call this morning out of the blue about a credit card I had, the man on the phone kind of conned me into confirming my name, date of birth and postcode. I was busy at the time helping my son with something and stupidly not paying full attention.

I think he said it was an advantage credit card with a £7000 debt, he also said my last payment was for £70 in 1999 at my old address.

I haven’t seen any mail from this company wanting payment, or had a CCJ for the debt

Since 1999 I have moved house and remortgaged it 2 years ago to have an extension built, I can’t remember this debt being mentioned when were going through the mortgage proceedings etc. in fact I feel sure it was paid up. Unfortunately I have just had the box out where we keep all the old paperwork for stuff and I can’t find anything regarding this credit card.

Anyway back to the phone call I told the man he would have to ring back later so I could speak to my wife about it and check the paperwork. As yet he hasn’t rung back.

What’s my best course of action, do I speak to him? If so what should I say/ not say?

Many thanks in advance for any advise

It's well and truly Statute Barred, send them this; http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred If they 'phone back tell them everything must be in writing and you will not discuss it on the 'phone & hang up.

It's well and truly Statute Barred, send them this; http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred If they 'phone back tell them everything must be in writing and you will not discuss it on the 'phone & hang up.

cheers mate

i dont know who it was, i am bloody rubbish on the phone, i go to bits when i get calls like this.

You only need their company name, once you have that the registered address can be found quite simply and the letter sent.

Do what you have to to get the name even if it means going through security this one time and then hang up after telling them everything from now on in writing.

S.

Has anyone else called you on the telephone since this call?

1471 it, and then put the number in Google. :)

[B]Nunquam redono spes Nunquam occulto evinco [/B] [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"][B]HighFly - 1 Lowell - 0 £5200 SD set aside + costs won HighFly -1 Wescott - 0 £4200 S. barred, removed from files[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Frankly, they're p***ing in the wind here. Any alleged debt would be statute barred after 6 years, never mind 10!

Bear in mind that THEY have to prove that the debt is owed. You do not have to prove your 'innocence'.

As said above, NEVER speak to them on the phone, NEVER NEVER give out your personal details without knowing who's on the other end, and NEVER NEVER NEVER admit to owing anything.

You should be pretty much bulletproof on this one, anyway.

D.;)

This debt is so statute barred it's unreal :D

As the other caggers have stated do not speak to them on the phone or confirm any more details with them.

It's up to them to prove that the debt is still enforceable which they won't be able to do so just sit back and enjoy :-D

:!: Activ Kapital 2009 - £316 debt cancelled due to no credit agreement

:!: TNC Legal Collections (Swinton) - £61 written off due to complaint being upheld with the FOS

:D Be Happy and treat people exactly how you would like to be treated

:mad: Don't let people take advantage of you and stand up for your rights and beliefs

:p You only live once so don't take things so seriously

When you answer the phone and someone asks for you then ask who is calling. If it is a genuine company, eg, mobile phone provider, then they will be happy to tell you who they are and which company they are calling from. If they refuse or it is a company you don't know then tell them all communication must be in writing only and hang up.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool: