Please Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Morning Ladies and Gents,

I received a "intent to prosecution" letter from the Police. They have put charges of "failure to stop after collision", "failing to report a collision" and "driving without due care and attension".

In July I was picking up my girlfriend from Heathrow Airport. And I realised I was going towards the wrong junction (I wanted to go the the M25). Thankfully I just made into the right junction. I did not collide with ANYTHING. My Car is still in pristine condition. I have no idea how these people think I collided with something!

When I did turn into the right junction the car behind me did not horn or flash their lights at me. The other thing is, I did not see any collision, I did not hear any collision, how can they accuse me for not reporting somthing I didn't see or hear?!

Hypothetically If i was convicted on these three charges, what is the worse thing that can happen to me? Can I get a Criminal Record?

Your help would be really greatful. I am quite worried, I have never been in trouble with the law in my life.

Edited by Tony Starks
need to add words to complete sentence

You should consider seeing a solicitor about this. It of course could be a case of mistaken identity (it does happen). If you haven't been in any accidents, then it would be unlikely the magistrates would convict you. Hypothetically, if they did, you'd be looking at 5+ points on your licence, depending on the seriousness of the crash, and a fine. You would also get a Criminal Record. The 'Failing to Stop / Report Road Accident' is the most serious charge. As far as I'm aware, 'Collision' isn't a criminal charge.

Thank you for your reply Graham. The thing is, I didn't collide with anything. My car doesn't even have a scratch! I didn't see or hear any accident, so there's nothing for me to report! If I did cause a accident that's another matter, I would do what any law abiding citizen would do. I don't understand how they can chargeme with this?! It doesn't make any sense.

When in July? The reason I ask is that the Police only have 14 days from the date of offence to serve the NIP on the registered keeper.

You must respond to the S.172 request to name the driver at the time. If you do not, you will be guilty of 'failing to provide' which is upwards of £200 and 6 points.

At this stage the Police are only seeking information - there was probably an incident and your VRM was recorded (rightly or wrongly) - to take it further they will need to interview you under caution.

If you are convicted, you will not have a criminal record - these are defined as non-recordable offences.

Thank you for your reply too Pat. But I am a little confused, Graham thinks I would get a Criminal Record, but on the other hand you say I wouldn't. Could anyone please confirm?

Thanks again for your help guys.

You don't have to hit anything or damage your car the law states that you have a responsibility to stop in a case where, owing to the presence of a Mechanically Propelled Vehicle on a road or other public place, an accident occurs. For example if you changed lanes suddenly causing someone to swerve and crash you have a duty to stop.

Road traffic act 1988 is the relevant legislation.

You don't have to hit anything or damage your car the law states that you have a responsibility to stop in a case where, owing to the presence of a Mechanically Propelled Vehicle on a road or other public place, an accident occurs. For example if you changed lanes suddenly causing someone to swerve and crash you have a duty to stop.

Road traffic act 1988 is the relevant legislation.

But when I looked back, there was no such swerving and crash when I looked back. There was no sound of a accident nor did I see a accident.