Kitten question....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know at what age kittens first come into season? My friend's son has a 4 month old kitten he's letting out but she hasn't been spayed yet.

Vets generally say they don't do the op until they're 6 months old but I know mine were done younger - but maybe that's because they're a big breed (Norwegian Forest) and it depends on size as well as age?

Also, I know some of the animal charities give subsidised ops to people on benefits but does anyone know if this applies to students as well?

Hope this was the right forum to post. Sorry if not.

Thanks

Jan

The Cats Protection will pay part of the spaying if you are in receipt of certain means-tested benefits like housing benefit/council tax benefit, his best bet would be to contact the local branch, as quite often they have specials on.

As for the first season, its usually between 4 and 10 months. As a cat owner, I would say 4 months is a bit on the young side to be let outside alone, I didnt let any of mine out until they were over 6 months old.

Thanks Mazbck. I agree - asked because I suspected it might be before 6 months. I'll have a word with him - its not just pregnancy its that it could get caught up in fights with tom cats as well. He's only 18, still learning!

I never let mine out so young, in case someone saw a kitten and 'lifted' it.

My two females were spayed when they were 9 months old, but some vets will do them earlier, but I wouldnt recommend it under the age of 6 months.

I agree with you both. My cats don't go out at all, (except in their pen) I'd be too worried they'd get run over plus they team up like two lionnesses and hunt birds and squirrels. I feel mean not letting them run free but its too risky nowadays (for them and the local wildlife!) and as they've never really done it they don't know the difference so are happy enough. My 15 year old is let out but he just plods in the garden really and is harmless. He's too old to make into a housecat.

I've already sent the lad in question a message to confirm she shouldn't be going out and I'm down there at the weekend so I'll sort him out. He is trying but only 18 and a bit clueless!

I was thinking if she could be done sooner it might be better, but it looks like 6 months is sensible - she's not a big breed or anything. Problem now is she's going to go mad at being kept in because she already knows about the great outdoors!

At least you've given me more ammunition. He seemed to think it was OK because she'd had her innocs but I was worried straightaway about her coming into season as well as the obvious perils for kittens.

Thanks

He could get her a harness and lead from Pets at Home or something like that and take her out on that. My 4 get out as they are farm/country cats, but I know someone who puts a harness on his cat and then ties it to a rope in the garden, and the cat has free range of the garden but not outside the garden.

Hi the RSPCA sometimes provide you with a voucher to use at participating vets for the spaying. My cat also stayed in till she was at least 8 months i too was so scared someone would take her as she is so friendly mind you she still is soft as anything 9 years on.

Well we have since moved into town, and the cats rarely venture out of the garden which is great, and all the neighbours know them and we are lucky to be in a very quiet area. I have one male cat at the moment who is 'gender disorientated!!' and currently on man pills as my daughter calls them!!:D

Well we have since moved into town, and the cats rarely venture out of the garden which is great, and all the neighbours know them and we are lucky to be in a very quiet area. I have one male cat at the moment who is 'gender disorientated!!' and currently on man pills as my daughter calls them!!:D

Gender disorientated? you mean you got a male cat that likes musical theater?

Excuse me I believe in calling a speyed a speyed