Finding New Tenants

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, i have a question about finding new tenants to take over an AST, hope you can help.

i've recently split up from my partner and we're trying to sort moving out of our flat. our tenancy runs out at the end of november and our letting agents have agreed we can be released from the lease if new tenants are found.

my ex is using delaying tactics to put off the property being advertised as it's more convenient for her to stay where we are but have me continue to pay half the rent until the lease ends. is there some way i can give *her* notice due to her being unreasonable in seeking to prolong the time before we can move out and force the issue, or am i stuck?

thanks for your help,

nick

Edited by sthehedgehog

This is only my opinion - as long as you are still living with your ex partner, you're not giving her the right messages.

As you've realised, she has no interest served by advertising for new tenants, and she doesn't have to agree to it. Even if you advertise for new tenants, she could refuse to move.

If you hold the tenancy jointly, then whilst your name is on it, you're responsible for half the rent, even if you move out earlier.

If your ex is not going to play pattacake, your only option may be to wait until the lease expires which is no more than 3 months? Make sure that you have given notice in writing at the very least to the letting agents, within the required timescales that you will not be renewing the lease.

You will also need to make sure that when the flat is handed back, she has done her part in ensuring the handover goes well so you both recover your share of the deposit.