• Tweets

• Try CPR 31.15 Possibly but a party is not compelled to disclose any documents pre allocation
    • Hi, I shown my key worker a letter that was sent to me saying that I owe £1200, she setup a standing order around 2021, this was to pay back money I owed, with my mental health status I have had complex issues to deal with and I just simply forgot about this standing order so it has been running for about 3.5 years acording to my key worker, anyway I'm not worried about the money that was sent that I call a overpayment, it went towards supporting my child's household so I am just happy with that, I am a little sad that I am being told I still owe this £1200, I have sent bank statements over 3 years worth but they have not taken away this £1200 bill and still say I owe it   Thank you
    • She did try contacting EON in the early days of the debt but they refused to speak to her because she could not pass the security checks. She didn't know the answers on an account she hadn't opened?   I also saw this article recently which could be what has happended here: Debt collection agencies in the UK are using fair means or foul to link people to an address where an unpaid debt has been run up, sometimes years after they have moved out The Guardian Anna Tims Mon 22 Apr 2024 The letter from the debt collection agency arrived out of the blue, and it was intimidating. It informed Joshua Simpson* that he owed £2,212 to Octopus Energy, and accused him of ignoring previous requests to settle the bill. If he did not stump up within 14 days, he was told, further action would be taken to recover the money. Simpson checked his Octopus account – it was in credit. Then he noticed the address where the debt had been accrued between 2022 and 2023. It was his childhood home – which his family had sold 18 years previously. "Since I was only 16 when we left the property, I was astonished that they'd linked my name [to it]," he says. "The debt collection agency insisted I provide a tenancy agreement to prove how long I've lived at my current address. I couldn't, since we bought our home. "They are now actively pursuing me for this debt, causing me a huge amount of stress. We are about to remortgage, and if this debt prevents us switching to a better deal, we will face real financial hardship." Simpson had been sucked into the shadowy world of "identity tracing", whereby investigators recruited by creditors seek to locate individuals who have moved home without paying their bills. It is an unregulated sector where anyone can set up as an agent in a back room without a licence, or scrutiny, and use fair means or foul to identify debtors. Reputable companies join a trade association that operates a code of practice, but membership is not mandatory, and mistakes are common. Last year, a teenage boy was chased for a debt of more than £900 by debt collectors acting for the energy company Ovo. A "trace agent" had somehow linked him to the debt because his parents had previously rented the property in question. An investigation by the Observer established that the debt had been run up by a subsequent tenant. The consequences of mistaken identity can be catastrophic. Individuals who are erroneously linked to a debt face, at worst, court action, bailiffs and a ruined credit rating. At best, they can endure weeks of stress and paperwork in order to prove they are not the debtor. It is estimated that 20m identity traces are made in the UK every year, many on behalf of companies that are owed money. Personal data is often obtained from credit reference agencies, which record applications for credit, and details are supposed to be verified with several different sources before being used for debt enforcement. In practice, however, this does not always happen. Simpson's details had been passed along a chain of intermediaries before the demand was issued. Octopus had given the unpaid account to a debt collection agent, which had contracted a tracing service, GBG, to find the debtor................ Full Article: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/oct/04/a-cry-for-help-energy-providers-play-the-villain-in-dramas-to-chill-the-blood ..............The Financial Ombudsman Service, which investigates complaints about financial firms, states that debt collection agents have to produce convincing evidence to link an individual to a debt, rather than rely on names, addresses and birth dates. According to the trade association, the Institute of Professional Investigators, an unknown number of investigators and trace agents are operating below the radar. Many more are merely inept, as data protection compliance training is not mandatory. "We have been campaigning for many, many years to try to get all private investigators regulated," says secretary general Glyn Evans.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cahoot debt now 6th DCA

jimbo45
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5219 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Too true - they get more pathetic the lower they go.

I normally work something like this into the Acc in Dispute letter:

'You are in fact the 5th DCA regarding this, which says it all about your place in the scheme of things'

Found it tends to get up their nose...

David

LOL! Like that one David!:D

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Just send back with the next letter

I am bemused as to why you have got this lemon in your shopping basket... on xxx date the original creditor failed to provide any legal documentation to xxx who were allegedly owners of the debt at that time.

Since then

XXX

XXX

XXX

XXX

have all failed to produce any legal paperwork.

NOW GET LOST

Of course use a signature font to sign it.....

Edited by sillygirl1
typo
  • Haha 1

Hi sillygirl!

Lovely letter! Thanks for giving me a laugh!

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Just send back with the next letter

I am bemused as to why you have got this lemon in your shopping basket... on xxx date the original creditor failed to provide any legal documentation to xxx who were allegedly owners of the debt at that time.

Since then

XXX

XXX

XXX

XXX

have all failed to produce any legal paperwork.

NOW GET LOST

Of course use a signature font to sign it.....

Hi sillygirl!

Lovely letter! Thanks for giving me a laugh!

Or this one in a language they may understand

Dear Cretins

Just because you were foolish and greedy enough to purchase a debt from XXX which they know is unenforceable does not mean that I will be foolish enough to pay you one penny peace.

I suggest you send it back to XXX and demand a refund

yours etc

• Haha 1

Or this one in a language they may understand

Dear Cretins

Just because you were foolish and greedy enough to purchase a debt from XXX which they know is unenforceable does not mean that I will be foolish enough to pay you one penny peace.

I suggest you send it back to XXX and demand a refund

yours etc

LOL! :D:D:D

Do you mean Moorcroft not Moorfield Jimbo? The 3 pre-court threatograms ring several bells... ;)

Meanwhile folks please take a look at the OFT Register for Moorcroft... It's getting difficult to find so just look under surname 'McRoberts'.

They have 2 entries, both marked 'Current' and both totally and completely lapsed. :evil:

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all

I believe a DCA has only limited powers in the number of times it can phone you.

Just recently I've had irritating calls from an outfit called C®apquest who seem to have dug up an old debt I thought I had paid off - this debt is within 2 months of becoming "Statute Barred" anyway.

I've heard of some of these scumbags actually buying these nearly statute barred debts from other companies for literally peanuts like £1 per £1,500 so if they get any money at all from just a few individuals it's money for old rope. - Rather like Weatherspoons bulk buying Beer with just a short life left to sell cheaply in its Bars - but at least they offer a DECENT product unlike those purveyors in Human Misery called crapquest.

(Off topic - but shouldn't the whole area of Credit agencies themselves be regulated as this data can go ANYWHERE - no regard to the various Data protection acts and the companies are a Law unto themselves - Experian, Equifax etc etc).

However my point is that every time they phone me when I'm abroad I have to pay some of the mobile phone costs.

I've given them "Cease and Desist" type notices and presumably can also get then to stop via the 1949 Wireless Telegraphy Acts etc but can I sting them for my phone charges due to calls THEY initiate.

As soon as they ask for security - or "Can I speak to Mr xxxx" I put the phone down but there is a charge for even answering the call.

I don't want to not answer the phone but this stuff is costing around 50p to £1 per time and it soon mounts up. capquest haven't got anything they think to lose themseleves by pursuing these old debts.

Any advice apart from getting a new mobile number -- I'm a Freelancer and need the same number - work agencies all have it and I really can't use a new number - especially in this market - if an agency can't get hold of you easily I'll lose the chance of a work contract.

I'd love to pass THEM to a DCA to pay for my phone calls.

Cheers

jimbo

Edited by jimbo45

Hi Jimbo,

Not sure whether you could claim it back from them, but depending on your type of mobile, there is software you can install to block unwanted calls. There's one called Advanced Call Manager for Symbian phone systems which looks quite good-allows you to create white and black lists, auto reject etc.

Good news about the Stat Barred though...at least you know it can only go on for a short while.

The minute it's definitely Stat Barred, and you inform them that you will not be paying for that reason, they'll have to leave you alone.

Elsa x

Hi they have no powers to collect from you - if you live outside the UK. Debt in the UK should stay in the UK, Send them the phone harassment letter in the library. Never speak to these idiots on the phone. As you say it costs you- being abroad. They have no powers to force you to pay only a court can, but your outside the UK so tell them to get lost.

PS I'd love to see a doorstep collector call on you!

I'd think on the positive side of things, in a couple of months it's SB, and there is absolutely nothing anyone least of all them, can do to get you to pay!

When you answer the phone, and you realise it's them, just laugh at them, then hang up.

If they are persistent then the only other way to go is prosecution for breaching the Telecommunications Act 1984

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Do Moorcrofts ever actually get anywhere -- I've probably seen more success stories against them than with any body else -- mind you they do have some interesting new angles such as their "Pre School Division" and "Home Visit Division".

Nobody I know has ever paid this lot a penny -- so why don't we suggest to anybody who'se being hounded to a DCA to write a letter begging the account to be passed to Moorcrofts.

Anybody know whose financing this lot -- can't seem to get much details from Companies House.

Cheers

jimbo

Hi the problem is the number of people that do not know their rights and do not knpw about CAG and pay them.

If more people knew about their rights and/or CAG etc then MOORCRAP would not exist.

dpick

• dx100uk changed the title to Cahoot debt now 6th DCA