Massive direct debit due to faulty meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved into my house last year and have my gas and electricity with EON.

I have paid £90 a month since I moved in, I do not know how many units I use or whether this is a good price.

A few months back EON sent me a letter to let me know I don't use that many units and that my payment can now go down to £80, result.

Last month while my wife was in the last month of her maternity leave (timing!) EON sent a letter to let me know that the monthly payment would be £180!

I assumed that I had been paying too little, but the debt amassed was apx £700.

I asked why my bill had escalated so greatly when they had only just put it down, several phone calls and a couple of visits later it turned out it was a faulty meter and they swiftly replaced it, however they would not decrease the dd and I did not have the money!

So my questions are:

Can I claim my bank charges back? After all the bounced direct debit resulted from their faulty hardware.

Are they allowed to change my direct debit without my permission? I spoke with them several times and let them know I could not afford it, I offered for them to spread the payment but unfortunately "It was already on the system"

What can I do about the "debt" on my account, after all they have been using a faulty meter to gauge my usage, how can I prove how much gas and electricity I am using and how much it should cost me?

Thanks

hang on

so did e-on refund the money because of the faulty meter

have they gotten you to do 7 days rading to guage what your true usage is?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They can change the level of your DD without your permission as the amount it is set at must match certain criteria; ongoing consumption, debt clearance etc., but by the same token they must let you know well ahead of the first payment at the increased rate so you can query it/change your method of payment etc.

You wont be able to claim your bank charges back from Eon as they did inform you that the DD would be increased, this gives you the opportunity to cancel it or query it. Have they said how long they believe your meter was faulty? I would call back and speak to someone else as normally they would spread the debt over a longer period, but would need to be sure you were covering your useage.

I have done a 7 day range and now have a new meter.

Ok not concerne toomuch about the negative balance as I can continue to argue that . . .p'ed off about the d and bank charges though :(

so lets try and get this straight.

your meter was faulty

e-on took lots of money off you,

this put you in debt & got charges on bank A/C.

e-on agreed & changed the meter

have they refunded any money to you because the meter was overeading?

i am only asking this because, i argued from the day i got a new meter [10th march 2007] till it went wrong in a power cut in june this year.

we had been on key type till this point, immediately our usage costs doubled.

lost count of the letters, emails, telephone calls, readings etc etc

over the 2 yrs, even had it checked for correct kWh twice

no-one would listen.

eventually in june we had a very bad brown out [9%] - we are fed via OH wires in the very wild sticks here, local pole mount transformer failed quite common because of all the trees sadly.

meter never came back on when power did, got 24hrs emergency round replaced meter.

got nice phone call the following eve just checking all was ok.

had a discussion, did 7 days of readings, ALL bills back to march 07 were recalculated, got over £700 back,

it can be done!

cancel the DD!

thats my answer

even £90 is a lot for a month.

force the issue

get a refund.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi dx100uk

it does seem that the OP has been given a raw deal, lets hope they come back with answers to your questions.

I can't see much chance of a claim against the Bank regarding charges (as advised in an earlier post) whilst the test case is on going.

I feel that if the OP has any loss the EON should foot the bill, I'd recommend they write a written complaint to EON with help from forum members, if that is not successful then escalate their complaint to the energy ombudsman.

Energy Ombudsman Service : Home

Andy