faulty grill - private lanlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello

im a private lanlord with a needy tenant. The oven is working fine apart from the grill - am i obliged to get a new cooker as a result?

i have tried to get it fixed but its nor repairable. im reluctant to buy a new one as im planning on putting in a new kitchen next year ( i mentioned this to the tenants when they moved in - a few months ago)

please help

thanks

If the tenancy agreement states that you have provided a cooker, then it is your responsibility to have it in working order/replace it when required. You also need to show it is safe.

If, as you say, you are going to replace the kitchen next year, then perhaps you could make an arrangement with the tenant - perhaps a small reduction in rent to allow for the loss of the grill? But get it in writing.

And you be careful, years ago I told a tenant she would have to wait the required 4 days for a plumber to call to suss out why her water had turned brown (tap water bright sparks!). The next day she turned up at the depot I was in, in her dressing gown, slippers and hairnet, located me, and duly tipped a huge jug of ice cold brown water over me and asked me how I liked it!

There is nothing to say that you cannot replace the current cooker with a working 2nd hand one, provided it is clean and safe. You will still be complying with your agreement.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice