British Gas STILL trying to make me pay!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved into my rented property nearly a year ago at which point the gas was provided by British Gas. A couple of months later, I switched to Scottish Power via moneysupermarket.com. In the months after that, I kept receiving bills from BG, so phoned SP and asked them what was going on. They said they wold re-send the order to change supplier and that would fix it.

But I kept receiving bills, so phoned BG and they said they would sort it out at their end.

I still kept receiving bills, threats of disconnection, and now charges for sending me letters!

I phoned BG again and explained and again they said they would sort it out and send me a bill for what I owe (for the 2 months before I switched to SP).

That was a couple of weeks ago, and today I got a letter saying 'British Gas Will Be Obtaining A Warrant To Enter Your Premises' to fit a pre-payment meter of disconnect me unless I pay them (for the period I have been paying Scottish Power gfor my gas).

Can anyone advise me what to do? It seems phoning them just ends up in them ignoring me and I don't want to write in case that just ends up in the bin or something anyway. What are my legal rights? Can they really fit a meter or disconnect me? If they do this, my landlord won't be very hapy.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

The meter does not belong to the landlord.

Have you paid *someone* for your supply throughout this period? If so the payments need to be reallocated to where they should have gone to in the first place.

Are you sure you are now supplied by SP; only your existing supplier would have any vested interest in seeking a warrant to fit a prepayment meter.

Check with National Grid who your supplier is, or call either of the suppliers and ask them to check and provide dates of who has supplied you and when for the period in question.

I'm aware that the meter doesn't belong to the landlord, but trust me he wouldn't be happy and I would be liable for charges in getting the service reconnected again.

I've been paying Scottish Power for my gas, and have told British Gas this. They have acknowledged this on the phone, but still send me threatening letters saying I need to pay them this outstanding amount.

Hi kriso,terrible way to treat you. I had a similar problem for over a year. Scottish power should contact British gas or vice versa and sort this out for you. Thats all they need to do. Shouldnt put you through this.Terrible. Bet you feel like tearing your hair out. Perhaps start with

Contact us by phone: 0800 072 8632, online at www.britishgas.co.uk/complaints, or by post: Complaints Management Team, British Gas, PO Box 3054, Eastbourne, BN21 9FD. We will do all we can to resolve your issue straight away.Then try Scottish Power.

You can either: Stage 1 – Contact us with your complaint

• You can either:
    • Call us on 0845 2700 700 (Monday to Friday 8am – 7pm, Saturday 9am – 1pm)
    • Email us [email protected]

We can resolve most issues during this first contact.

700 (Monday to Friday 8am – 7pm, Saturday 9am – 1pm)

Really cant understand with the technology these days this happening but does.I hope your problem will soon go away.Tawnyowl.

Edited by tawnyowl