style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

yesterday my wife had a crash while driving her mothers car (wifes fault)

quite a bit of damage to both cars

my wife got 3 points on her License 3 months ago for speeding 36mph in a 30mph zone

and her Mother did not report this to the insurance company

yesterday afternoon the day of the accident she rang the insurerer to report the incident etc

this morning we rang the insurance company to give a few more details and they told my wife that at this time they cannot authorize any repair till some supervisors are at work on monday because we have not informed them about the 3 points on wifes License

so we are now having nightmares that this is all going to go belly up very fast

the car belongs to my wifes Mother and my wife is a named driver - it is fully comp with all the no claims intact

I would appreciate some advice as to the likely outcome of them ringing my wife on Monday

as you can imagine I cannot believe that the insurance company will not pay out over this issue,. but I will reserve judgement till we hear more on monday

but any advice/experiences with this matter would be greatly appreciated

thanks

You mentioned in your post that your wife got her 3 points for speeding 3 months ago, I'm assuming that her Mother's policy was already in force and running at that time. When her Mother added your wife to her policy as a named driver she would have been asked about accidents/claims/convictions of your wife, so if at the time of adding your wife she was accurate with her answers then you shouldn't have too much to worry about (especially if your wife only has this one speeding conviction).

What should happen is that the policyholder should inform their insurers of any change in circumstances (eg a conviction) as soon as it happens, but this rarely happens.

The Insurers will look at the date the policy was renewed (or started) and decide if it was intentional. I doubt that they will refuse to deal with it on the information you have given, if they do then post back and we will advise you on your next step.

Mossy

Hi Mossy

thanks for the words of encouragement here,

the Mother in Law has been with this insurance company for donkeys years - this years renewal started 8 weeks ago - and she was not aware that my wife had got 3 points on her License

so obvioulsy did not tell them,

she actually has 14 years no claims which should help I hope

I guess all we can do is wait till Monday and see what happens next

I really appreciate your help

Regards Chris

OK Chris, that's a slightly (and very slightly at that) worse position than if your wife had got the points after the renewal of the policy, but I still wouldn't worry.

The AA will refer it to the Insurance Company underwriters for what's called 'non-disclosure', the underwriters will look at the circumstances, the length of time the policy has been in force and a few other things and then make their decision, based on my experience I'd expect a minor rebuke from them for not telling them at renewal and then them dealing with it, I doubt they would even load the premiums for 1 speeding conviction on a named driver.

Let us know what they say on Monday

Mossy

A small update

after a number of phone calls they have agreed to pay out on the accident (huge relief)

they have also asked the Mother in Law to cough up £50 extra premium for the 3 points on my wifes License

I guess that is far preferable than not paying out at all

thanks for the support guys

regards

Chris