Debt In UK but I now live in the USA

alex364
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5350 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is my first post and I am looking for a little guidance regarding debt that I accumilated while living in the UK.

2 years ago I left the UK and a high paying job and married a US citizen. For a while (about a year) I paid my credit card debt from savings in a UK bank account. Eventually my savings ran out and I defaulted. When I moved from the UK i gave the credit card companies my Parents UK address as a mailing address but I NEVER TOLD THEM I MOVED TO THE USA AND NEVER GAVE THEM MY ADDRESS.

For the last 12 months they have been writing to my parents address and I ignorred them (easy to do from 3000 miles away). Things have now progressed from Credit card companies to Debt collection agencies and in a couple of cases now solicitors (threatening to serve papers).

Any advice on what I should do, none of these companies know my US address and I am in good credit standing in the US.

Can these UK companies pursue me via UK courts if I no longer live there?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Old_andrew2018

IMHO they can issue a county court summons to your last know address, your parents should send all letters back to sender unopened, with something written on the envelope like this RETURN TO SENDER , DOES NOT RESIDE THIS ADDRESS.

Andy