• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

1st credit, odd situation, help appreciated :)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, its a long post but I would really appreciate any help or advice!

Recently a letter arrived at my family's home addressed to me. Imagine my joy when I opened it and found a letter from 1st credit telling me I owe them a lot of money, and if I do not reply to said letter they will assume I live there and continue to hound me. There was no indication of what the account referred to, so putting it down to spam I ignored the letter.

About a week later, they sent another letter, which I have scanned and included below, removing anything sensitive. This time they gave a reference to a Lloyds account number, and a figure of about £800. A few things caught my eye in the letter, obviously printed en mass to many people, (Dear Sir/Madam, yet they had my name on the envelope). I had no idea what they were talking about.

I did have an account with Lloyds years ago, but in late 2003 I moved abroad, and making sure my accounts were in order I left them to dormancy to be used when I returned. As far as I was aware, none of my accounts were in debt although I have no paperwork relating to this, all lost over the years. I returned 2 years ago, throughout my time abroad and here I have heard nothing from Lloyds regarding any money owed. 3 generations of my family bank with them, so I am sure if they needed to get in touch with me they could have.

I took this letter to Lloyds to see if they knew anything about it. The girl I spoke to, quite helpful, had to make quite a few calls to find the account number was linked to a credit card account. After even more calls she found the account was closed and sold off in 2006, she could not say why though as they had kept no records. I have no idea what is going on with this account, I was certain it was paid up.

Now I have not been in contact with 1st yet, and really do not want to as I have trouble keeping my cool with **** like these people. After a little research I see they like to trick or bully people into admitting debt or paying it when they don't have to. There is no way I will give them £10 to give me `personal information` about something that appears a load of rubbish!

I see after a little research that debt cannot be taken through the courts after 6 years of no contact from the person owing the money, is this right? Would it be wise just to ignore 1st? What can they do? I know as soon as I make contact I will never shake them until this is done and dusted.

They have sent another letter today threatening immediate court action or repossession of my assets if I do not pay, I do not have a copy of this letter as I do not live at my family's address, I use it as a mail forwarding address for sensitive items as I normally live in shared accommodation. Can they do anything to my family who live there? Should I be so worried about this?

If you have got this far, thank you!

2mbsbc.jpg

Edited by Doughnut_Monster
Edited letter to reduce size/remove details

Send them this http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt The onus is on them to prove the debt exists and they have the right to collect.

If you have not made any payment or written acknowledgement of the debt for a clear period of six years it will be statute barred so you could send this one instead; http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

• Haha 1

Many thanks for all your replies guys, and for the welcome to the forum!

However, I may have made a bit of a boo-boo. I was racking my brains to think of how I could tell the last time I used the credit card, and I remembered back then I used amazon a lot. So I checked, and the last time I ordered something using that card was May 2004, some books for work shipped to Spain. So, I think that does not put me outside of the 6 year period...

However I am certain if I used the card, I would have transferred money back to pay it off, but again have no paperwork. In this case, would I be best off sending http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt?

Again thanks for your help, my apologies I didn't think of this earlier. 25 and my grey cells have abandoned me already!

Just another quick question, I have just started writing out the letter to 1st, and I am wondering what the best address to use would be. I don't live with my family, only see them every few weeks or so, should I continue to use their address or should I use my current address, which is a shared house?

I don't want to involve my family's address any more than is necessary, but I am unsure where I stand using an address for a rented house, I get on with the landlord and don't want to annoy him with never ending junk from these cowboys!

Is printing off two copies of the letter, sending one and keeping the spare, enough evidence to prove what I sent them? Should I provide them with any personal information if required to prove who I am, or should the onus be on them to prove the debt first?

Thanks again for your help, excellent forum, will be donating when I can!

This is the letter I have drafted, from the one linked to me above, could someone cast an eye over it as a double check? I have put account in dispute in large type above the text, just to make it extra clear to them, is this a good idea?

Should I add anything else, or make a CCA request at this point?

Thanks again

XXXXX XXXXXXX,

XXXXXX XXXX,

XXXX XXX

Date: 16 August 2009

Reference no. 1234567

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Lloyds TSB.

I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

XXXX XXXXXXXX

I just found another type of letter, seems like a combined "who are you/whats this about/give me all relevant paperwork" all in one jobby, would this be better or should I stick with the above for the moment?

Dear Sir/Madam

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY

Ref: [XXXXXXX]

I am presently striving to organise my personal information and can find no reference to the alleged debt and/or agreement you appear to have been assigned to collect.

Therefore, please supply me with a true copy of the original agreement.

You will appreciate that this is my right and your legal obligation under the legislation contained within section 77 (1) and section 78 (1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I also understand that it is your obligation to provide me with a statement of account and I look forward to receiving that as well.

Since you are a Debt Collection Agency, please also supply a signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement.

Again, this is you will appreciate a statutory obligation, whether you are the original creditor or not, under section 189 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Please find enclosed my £1 statutory fee, this fee is not to be offset against any alleged debt.

I look forward to hearing from you within the statutory time limit.

Yours faithfully,

XXXX XXXX

Hi. I would make a couple of alterations to this letter if I were you.

First, you have put ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE. How can the account be in dispute if you are denying the debt? Dont put account in dispute.

Second, dont put Lloyds TSB in the second line. You should put 1st credit instead. You have allready said you had a card that you have used, so if you say in your letter that you have no knowledge of any debt to Lloyds TSB, you would be lying. And you will have put it in writing! Instead, put no knowledge of a debt to 1st credit. Wait for a reply, and if they still insist you have a debt with them, then send a CCA request.

1st Credit dont have a clue what they are doing, I'm playing a game with them myself.

Good luck

Very good point about the account in dispute, that would have been a daft thing to do!

I did have a card with Lloyds, but I am sure I would not have left it in debt, but obviously somehow it must have got into debt or this wouldn't be happening! I will change it to them instead.

Many thanks for your observations, best of luck with your game!