• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advice On Lowell they have chased Bro In Law and got £500 so far

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was contacted by my Borther in Law a few days ago in relation to a debt that does not exist. In 2005 my brother in law took out a mobile contract for me and my wife. We moved and subsequently had the bills forwarded to our new address, When the contract was due to end I contacted 3 to cancel the contracts as we were moving over to Orange and I had enough with 3 crap service.

We then moved from our address to our current address and that was 3 years ago. My brother in law received a telephone call from Lowell stating that a debt of over £600 was owed for 2 mobile contracts, In the confusion he paid tham £500 already before telling us which I said you shouldnot have paid them anything.

As he was never on the electrol roll or ever lived at our previous address when he contacted them again he said the debt is nothing to do with him (he never mentioned us) and never lived at that address, He foolishly gave the his current addresss and previous addresses, He has asked for his money back that he paid them to which they said, We will do an emergency search and contact you once we can establish if the debt is yours if not we will refund your money.

My questions are these.

Will he get his money back as he never lived there?

Should he check his credit report to see if anything is put on there from this previous address?

What should he do?

Doubt will get the money back, but make sure they dont get another penny & report them to the OFT.

Is it worth sending a letter demanding his money back after all I very much doubt they can prove the debt is his, The contracts were taken out over the internet from www.themobilephoneshop.co.uk .

As he has paid £500 already are they likely to put defaults on his account for this £168 extra they wanted, As they default would really relate to an address that he has never lived at, He has a clear record on the electrol roll showing where he has lived all his life so they can never prove he resided at the address they were chasing.

As Cerbs says, the only course of action that is left open now is the small claims court.

Tell your brother not to pay another penny, cancel all direct debits, standing orders, if he used a card to pay them cancel it and get a new one, report them not only to the OFT but TS through the Consumer direct website, the ICO and the FOS...

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

As Cerbs says, the only course of action that is left open now is the small claims court.

Tell your brother not to pay another penny, cancel all direct debits, standing orders, if he used a card to pay them cancel it and get a new one, report them not only to the OFT but TS through the Consumer direct website, the ICO and the FOS...

Is it worth sending a recorded letter first of my intentions to take it to small claims court if a refund is not forthcoming? After all as far as he is concerned the debt is nothing to do with him and they have taken money from him?

You could send them the letter before action,

I know it is for bank charges but you can edit to suit, and state that you want a full refund for the money taken or further legal action will be taken without further notice to you:D

If I had a bit more time I would draft up a letter, and use all the DCA jargon they do, such as 'valid even if not read by you' and such tripe! But I'm just off out, someone else may be able to help you out if you need it..

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Right I spoke to my bro in law today he is intending to telephone Lowell on Monday to find out if they are going to give him his money back, I did try and tell him that they won't so don't waste your breath, He said the guy at Lowell was very helpful and I said it's because they have managed to get £500 out of you.

I looked at the template for the letter before action and it is based on prevoius letters being sent to them however he has not sent any yet this would be the first one. I will try and draft a letter and post on here for people to pick through.

so your brother did have a contract although it was you that used the phone,

from what you have posted, you, personally, cancelled the contract (if so was this in writing from you or over the phone) and they are seeking pament from when you cancelled the contract?

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

here is what I have typed so far.......

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference Number:

I am writing with regards to the above account.

As you are aware you first contacted me regarding the above outstanding debt, as I have not been made aware of any previous debt nor have I ever been in any outstanding debt matter with anyone I was shocked at what you were saying, I assumed the debt must relate to my previous address in a prior relationship. I promptly paid the £500 asked for by you to avoid the action you stated would happen on the telephone. When you next contacted me you stated there was another account that needed to be settled for a smaller amount of £168, You this time however stated the address the debt’s were linked to which I quickly informed you have no knowledge of or have ever lived there. I stated this debt must not belong to me as I have a clear history on the electro register of where I have lived. You also state that the debt relates to 3G which I can assure you I have never held a mobile contract with 3G and during the time of these debts I was with the Vodafone and have now moved to orange.

Since we last spoke on Friday 14th August you stated an emergency search would be carried out by you to establish if indeed this debt belongs to me or someone else with the same/similar name, You have not contacted me back to inform me and I have tried contacting you to resolve this matter and get the money I paid back as after all it is for a debt that does not belong to me.

I have today sought Legal advice and been advised that should you not repay the £500 I have paid then I should take the matter to a small claims court which I fully intend to do. In these difficult times where our budget is thin as it is I do not have the time or money to cover someone else’s debt.

Please can you confirm in writing that you will be refunding the full amount, I also trust that any references placed on my credit file relating to this matter be removed.

Yours sincerely

please also be aware,

your opening post says you brother in law to out a phone contract at an address he never lived at and then saying he is disputing that he never lived there, may cause problems

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

so your brother did have a contract although it was you that used the phone,

from what you have posted, you, personally, cancelled the contract (if so was this in writing from you or over the phone) and they are seeking pament from when you cancelled the contract?

ida x

Yes I cancelled the contracts a month prior to them expiring as requested when I telephoned them first. I did keep copied on my computer but we have changed it since then and I no longer have my copy.

As for what they are seeking payment for I have no idea and he's not really asked to many questons as it will look suspicious, I can only assume that they never cancelled them at their end and continued to bill us which by then we had moved out so would have had no knowledge of this, I also cancelled the Direct Debit from my bank account as that is what I was told to do send the letter and cancel the DD.

please also be aware,

your opening post says you brother in law to out a phone contract at an address he never lived at and then saying he is disputing that he never lived there, may cause problems

ida x

I know it is a bity confusing, Basically when he took out the contracts first he used is old address the one he lived at, When the contracts were set up I went online and changed the address to ours so we would get the bill's and also the bank details of the Direct Debit to come out of our bank account.

if YOU cancelled your brother in laws account then they would be breaching DPA.

Only your brother would be able to cancel it.

Ida x

if YOU cancelled your brother in laws account then they would be breaching DPA.

Only your brother would be able to cancel it.

Ida x

Would I not get into trouble also though as they would not have known it was not him?

It is annoying as this debt should not really be outstanding (for once lol) as we did everything right and someone else has cocked up. I might have to pay my bro in law back if nothing comes of this as it's not his fault, mind you it's not my fauly either but it was a favour he was doing us at the time.

Welshcake ( no judgement meant but just trying to show you how this looks)

your brother in law signed up to a contract lying about where he resides.

You cancel the contract verbally saying you are your Brother in Law.

Can you see my point?

If you are disputing the amount owed you would need to send the phone company a sar t check where the are gettng the balance from.

If this contract is in you BIL name and he has paid £500 to it then they only way to get it back it show the payment was not due.

the sar should when and if any cancellation was given.

ida x

Edited by IdaInFife
typo's but honestly not my fault --- vodka to blame
  • Haha 1

Welshcake ( no judgement meant but just trying to show you how this looks)

your brother in law signed up to a contract lying about where he resides.

You cancel the contract verbally saying you are your Brother in Law.

Can you see my point?

If you are disputing the amount owed you would need to send the phone company a sar t check where the are gettng the balance from.

If this contract is in you BIL name and he has paid £500 to it then they only way to get it back it show the payment was not due.

the sar should when and if any cancellation was given.

ida x

No he never lied about where he resided at the time he took out the contracts as he could not have done that as they carry out a credit check, Once all that was done and the contracts set up I then went online and changed the billing address to ours as were the ones the contracts were for so wanted the bills to come to me. Yes I did send the letters with his name at the bottom to cancel the contracts once the 18 months had expired and then cancelled the DD which he knew about and was fine as we had never defaulted or anything and the contracts were at an end. The only thing I can maybe think of is if people who moved into our home after us as it was a temp accomodation house provided by the council recevied some sort of letter or something and managed to get something out of it?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference Number:

With regards to the above account.

You first contacted me regarding the above debt, I have not been made aware of any debt nor have I ever been in any outstanding debt with anyone.

I paid the £500 asked by you to avoid the threats you stated would happen on the telephone, and before I became aware of my rights.

When you next contacted me you stated there was another account that needed to be settled for a smaller amount of £168, this time however you stated the address the debt’s were linked too, which I quickly informed you I had no knowledge of.

I stated this debt does not belong to me.

You state that the debt relates to 3G(UK) which I can again assure you I have never held a mobile contract with 3G(UK)

Since we last spoke on Friday 14th August you stated an emergency search would be carried out by you to establish if indeed this debt belongs to me or someone else with the same/similar name,.

You have not contacted me to inform to the contrary, and I have tried contacting you to resolve this matter but to no avail.

I have today sought Legal advice and can advise you that should you not reply within seven days I shall commence legal proceedings against you, without further notice, and you will be charged the full costs of my successful legal proceedings including the full amount that I am seeking to recover.

You should confirm in writing that you will be refunding the full amount, and any references placed on my credit file relating to this matter be removed, if this is not done forthwith, you can expect a series of complaints to be lodged about your company.

Yours sincerely

PRINT DON'T SIGN

Sorry Just went through your letter and removed all the niceties, they don't understand manners so please and thank you is like a foreign language to them, cut the crap, tell them exactly how it is, if they don't comply, even to the second then hit em where it hurts!

the only way to get a right breakdown of where the balance is come from is the phone company

ida x