Survey Valuation

tali
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5356 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased my house 4 years ago and recently we decided to decorate bedrooms.Upon removing wallpaper i was shocked at the state of the walls- with plaster crumbling and gaps around the double glazed windows in both rooms.The ceilng i discovered was bent and needed rejoisting

However , there was no evidence of damp or subsidence

Luckily i found a decent builder who skimmed and replastered the walls

What i am puzzled by is that i paid £300 for a Surveyor - ie someone with proffesional qualifiactions to do a valuation and all i got was a bland wear and tear ,general default template of a survey report that their Pc spits out week in week out

Okay it wasn't the full survey but i can't belive the Surveyor never highlighted or spotted these.The condition was so bad that i have taken photos and am wondering whether there is a claim against the Surveyor?

In fact as a first time housebuyer i am puzzled by the status of the Valuation- as the Surveyor HAS to blandly agree to the Agreed Price - if he puts a lower price then logically the whole sale could collapse

How independant is the Surveyor? because rather than blandly agree with price of 120-125k (123k was agreed price) he should have said 115-120k.

Guest Old_andrew2018

With hindsight you should have got a full survey, IMHO after 4 years you will have a hard time taking action against the surveyor, what is the amount of compensation you seek.

andy

Presumably the problem only came to light once you removed the wallpaper. Do you think the surveyor should have removed the wallpaper at the time? A simple valuation survey isn't for your benefit; it is prepared for the lender to satisfy them that the property represents adequate security for the loan. Surveyors often downvalue houses; why should it bother the surveyor if your purchase collapses? He still gets paid.

Okay wallpaper fair enough - although i thought mistakenly thought they would be expert enough to spot what's hidden by their experience and qualifications

What i should have asked was whether the Surveyor should have noted the visible faults - such as tilt in landing , bent roof and gaps around window frames?

However, i do concede i do not have any claim

Guest Old_andrew2018

Even though I stated in post #2 about being hard to start a claim there is nothing preventing you in complaining to them and their regulator.

Andy