Weve just found out that my mother who is a pensioner has some loans with provident

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Weve just found out that my mother who is a pensioner has some loans with provident and has done for many years. We only found out by accident and it seems that she is taking new loans out to clear old ones.

The last loan was for £600 and it was used to clear off an old provident loan. She is struggling to make ends meet.

Her only income is her state pension and by the time her council rent, gas/electric, food, provident loan etc..., it doesnt leave her with much.

I was amazed to see the amount of interest added to the loan.

I told her that i would write to them explaining her situation and request a reduced payment.

Would this be the correct approach ? I was that angry i told her to stop paying the loan full stop and let them take her to court as shes never going to get credit anyway again, but she rightfully stated that she requested the loan so she should pay it.

Sorry for the rant, but any advice would be great.

that is the correct way to go.

I assume she has a collector that comes to the door?

most will accept reduced paymetns anyway as it's betetr than nothing

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 1 month later...

This is on behalf of my mum -

She lives on a pension and has got into a bit of financial difficulty. She is in arrears with rent, gas, electricity and provident.

I sent a letter to provident to ask if she could reduce payments from £25 per week to £2 per month stating that although it is a very low offer she intends to up the payments when she clears her feet.

Manager came out and rejected the offer stating that she would have to repay £10 per week or it will go to a debt collector. She has two Loans. One was for £400 and the other £500. interest 160.09%

Although £10 seems like nothing to most it still leaves her with next to nothing at the end of the week.

any advice?

Thanx

when i had a provident loan and had week were i couldnt afford the full amount my agent told me to pay as much as i could but not to miss a week and some weeks i was giving them a pound but still paying something weekly .

the agent told me there was not alot they could do whilst i was making weekly payments

This is on behalf of my mum -

She lives on a pension and has got into a bit of financial difficulty. She is in arrears with rent, gas, electricity and provident.

I sent a letter to provident to ask if she could reduce payments from £25 per week to £2 per month stating that although it is a very low offer she intends to up the payments when she clears her feet.did you mean £2 WEEK instead of month.

if not could see do £2 week.

minimum £1 week on both accounts and that stops in going out of the branch.

Manager came out and rejected the offer stating that she would have to repay £10 per week or it will go to a debt collector. She has two Loans. One was for £400 and the other £500. interest 160.09%ignore ,they are talking lewis group anyway.:roll:

Although £10 seems like nothing to most it still leaves her with next to nothing at the end of the week.

any advice?

Thanx

who did you send the letter to?

SAM

did you write and ASK to reduce

did they reply, or just send local branch manager out?

was it for £2 a month?

could she do £2 week?

is it payed to collector?

is arrears more than £150?....6 weeks?

how many weeks left to run?

SAM

there is some kind of fuel poverty thing i know nothing about it so i don't know if your mother would be eligible for this

however if you don't ask you wont know start a thread in

Utilities - Gas, Electricity, Water and ask about it they may also be able to help your mum with letters etc to the gas/electricity company's

@ hallowitch - will look into that.

@ sam614

did you write and ASK to reduce

did they reply,or just send local branch manager out?

I wrote asking if they would accept the amount. manager came out with collector on the usual collection day.

was it for £2 a month?

could she do £2 week?

It was £2 per week

is it payed to collector?

is arrears more than £150?....6 weeks?

how many weeks left to run?

paid weekly to Collector

3 weeks arrears so under £100 between the two

Think it still has around 10 months to run

you have to be 6 full weeks in arrears before they can pass it on.

as long as you pay the minimum off £1 on each they can do nothing.

and they know it.:mad:and they dont like it.

this is why the manager called to get you to up the payments.

how has your mum left it with the manager.do they think that they will be getting £10 next week.

my sis has just had this she had 6 loans paying £48 a week.

lost job ,she offered £10 a week to the agent,who then brought manager in saying minimum of £25 week.

I wrote to customer relations.and explained her circumstances:D

and she now pays £5....a week.

sam614

you have been very helpful. I was hoping to be there when the manager came but didnt know they were coming.

My mum didnt agree to the £10 sating that she didnt have it to give, so they are phoning her on monday....dont know why but i'll be there when she does.

thanx again

they may suggest that she adds the two loans together, as one new one and extend the terms so she pays less over more months.so she is no longer in arrears.

DO NOT FALL FOR IT.

they add another £60 for each £100 outstanding.:mad:

SAM

• dx100uk changed the title to Weve just found out that my mother who is a pensioner has some loans with provident